Bills have 5th oldest roster in the NFL

transplantbillsfan

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/08/31/nfls-youngest-oldest-rosters-after-tuesdays-cuts

Is it a huge concern in the near future? Nah. But at an average age of 26.5 with elite players like Micah Hyde, Jordan Poyer and Von Miller on the wrong side of 30 and foundations to the team like Diggs, White and Milano getting there pretty soon, the idea of reloading this team intelligently given an increasingly complicated CAP situation every year is going to become tantamount to annual success.

• Haha (+1) 2

I do think this year and next year are the end of the "immediate window". There will then be a couple of seasons when I still fully expect us to be a playoff team and we are capable on our day of beating anyone with Josh, but I think there will be a fair bit of rebuilding going on around him at that point. That is perfectly normal in the career arc of any franchise QB. I think KC are seeing it now they are in year 1 of their rebuild period at the moment... I think they are still a playoff team but winning a Superbowl is harder. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 7

56 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I do think this year and next year are the end of the "immediate window". There will then be a couple of seasons when I still fully expect us to be a playoff team and we are capable on our day of beating anyone with Josh, but I think there will be a fair bit of rebuilding going on around him at that point. That is perfectly normal in the career arc of any franchise QB. I think KC are seeing it now they are in year 1 of their rebuild period at the moment... I think they are still a playoff team but winning a Superbowl is harder. 

Every year with Josh expectations will be playoffs

This season is the end of an era though. McDermott and Frazier have had a nice run on defense with little change. We’re going to see 2-3 major roster changes next year on defense. Edmunds and Poyer gone. Maybe others. Both replaced with inexpensive contracts. 

Any non playoff years will be based on the division honestly. 3 teams are in rebuilds. If those rebuilds fail the Bills will have a major advantage every year. Similar to NE with Brady. 

KC’s problem is yes the talent is less, but the teams in their division are better. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree with @GunnerBill here. But I also think the Bills have a fair share of younger players on the rise: Along with the QB, they have Davis, Bates, Brown, Knox, Oliver, Rousseau, Basham, the new DBs this season, Cook, Bass, etc., so I feel good about the future. The key, of course, is their development. Right now, its a nice balance.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, CSBill said:

I agree with @GunnerBill here. But I also think the Bills have a fair share of younger players on the rise: Along with the QB, they have Davis, Bates, Brown, Knox, Oliver, Rousseau, Basham, the new DBs this season, Cook, Bass, etc., so I feel good about the future. The key, of course, is their development. Right now, its a nice balance.

I would put JaQuan Johnson in there. He’ll be the Poyer replacement and he honestly could start today. I think this is why Poyer didn’t hold out. 

Team age can be a misleading stat, and I think in the Bills’ case it is a bit misleading.  Much of the age on this team is in the form of veteran depth, particularly on the OL.  The safeties are obviously older but potential replacements are on the roster.  On the D line only Miller is “old” but he shows no signs of slowing down.

There will always be roster churn from year to year, and nobody can keep rolling out the “same” unit for more than a few years.

Long story short — I don’t view this statistic as anything to be “worried” about for the Bills short- and long-term future, particularly when they have a 26-yo stud at the most important position in the game.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/08/31/nfls-youngest-oldest-rosters-after-tuesdays-cuts

Is it a huge concern in the near future? Nah. But at an average age of 26.5 with elite players like Micah Hyde, Jordan Poyer and Von Miller on the wrong side of 30 and foundations to the team like Diggs, White and Milano getting there pretty soon, the idea of reloading this team intelligently given an increasingly complicated CAP situation every year is going to become tantamount to annual success.

I’m told that we should have held onto Beasley, Sanders and Hughes so that we could be even older.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

GB, I don’t know if it will be a rebuild as the inference is starting kind of over, but you’re right they will have to invest in the replacements for the 30+ crowd.  I don’t think it’s a big concern as you mention.  I believe in Beane will eye the right talent in FA and the draft.  We have $7.6 mil. In space for injuries or they surprise us with an OBJ acquisition.  I believe the cap increases by $20 mil. Next year as the last estimate I saw, and the Andrew Brandts of the world project $256 mil. 2024.  That will track well with our increases coming from Allen, Von, etc.

They will have to hit on at least 3 draft pics each year to manage the cap.  I’m not saying we won’t fill other role players, but I mean starters by the end of their rookie year.

17 minutes ago, eball said:

Team age can be a misleading stat, and I think in the Bills’ case it is a bit misleading.  Much of the age on this team is in the form of veteran depth, particularly on the OL.  The safeties are obviously older but potential replacements are on the roster.  On the D line only Miller is “old” but he shows no signs of slowing down.

There will always be roster churn from year to year, and nobody can keep rolling out the “same” unit for more than a few years.

Long story short — I don’t view this statistic as anything to be “worried” about for the Bills short- and long-term future, particularly when they have a 26-yo stud at the most important position in the game.

This is spot on amd couldn’t agree more.  Things never stay the same.  O Linemen, QB’s and Safeties usually can play well if incredibly talented into their 30’s, but that’s why you keep developing guys over a period of years like Bates, Boettger, J. Johnson, and Hamlin.  It’s impossible to replicate exactly Hyde and Poyer because the bar is so high as the best safety tandem in the league.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.