Hopefully under Kromer the Bills will have a better success ratio with OL.

Tipster19

Especially under the Beane tenure the Bills just haven’t enjoyed a great success ratio with the OL. One of the rare gems that he found, Wyatt Teller, was traded off just a bit too soon. When one looks over Beane’s history with the Bills, he has imo, provided positive results with all other positions of the roster. If he didn’t have immediate success then he did after tinkering with the personnel in due time. I don’t find this to be the case with the OL though. Check it out.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/lineups.htm

This indicates to me that this is not the area of expertise so far with this administration. Hopefully they’ll listen to Kromer and let him have more say in constructing the OL, he has had great success with his OL with years passed. To really solidify the greatness of this roster/franchise I believe the OL is the Achilles’ heel of this team. I would think that Beane took whatever input Kromer had about Cody Ford into consideration. 

Edited by Tipster19

Setting the Kroger jokes aside, I mostly agree with the OP.

The OL has more depth than it had pre-Beane but it's still not a stellar unit.  Maybe Beane isn't a great evaluator of OL talent.  Or maybe he hasn't prioritized the OL.  There are only so many draft picks and only so much cap money available.  You can't prioritize everything.

Alternatively, it could be that McD didn't have the right OL coach to maximize the performance of the players on the roster.

I'm probably more curious about this year's OL than any other position group.  Josh just might be superhuman but even he struggled statistically in games last year when the OL collapsed.  And while we're not a running team, it's nice when we give the backs some daylight which happened too infrequently last season.  I'm hoping for better things this year, but entirely sure what to expect.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• Tipster19 changed the title to Hopefully under Kromer the Bills will have a better success ratio with OL.

Kromer has been doing it for a long time, has been successful and has always been highly regarded. Clearly the Bills want more production from their RBs and have dedicated resources to that end. Sort of makes sense given that their best RB has been Josh Allen. Take away his production and it really hasn’t been pretty. But all this means more taking the ball out of Allen’s hands. At every level he’s been the playmaker  both throwing and running and I’m sure he’d rather pass than hand the ball off. It’ll be interesting to see him adjust. This will be different looking offence than we are used to seeing and that he is used to running. No question that this change/transition is necessary and should be beneficial imo.  

Edited by starrymessenger

1 minute ago, starrymessenger said:

Kromer has been doing it for a long time, has been successful and has always been highly regarded. Clearly the Bills want more production from their RBs and have dedicated resources to that end. Sort of makes sense given that their best RB has been Josh Allen. Take away his production and it really hasn’t been pretty. But all this means more taking the ball out of Allen’s hands. At every level he’s been the playmaker  both throwing and running and I’m sure he’d rather pass than hand the ball off. It’ll be interesting to see him adjust. This will be different looking offence than we are used to seeing and that he is used to running. No question that this change/transition is necessary and should be beneficial imo.  

I would hope 17 isn't our best RB. Obviously the offense centers around Josh but if they can get better production from the RB's then this offense will be very difficult to stop. Next year's draft I could see a priority on OL and the secondary with Poyer and Hyde both north of 30.

I don’t know the term of Kromer’s contract, but I think it should = 2025, like McDermott.

Overall, i think our depth on paper looks ok, but we still have walking wounded -> Doyle +  Unknown -> Mancz.  Also, Brown will be crossed fingers all year.  I think we need to pick up 3 or 4 of the best we can find for the PS because I think we’ll need help along the way.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.