Why isn't Bass the backup punter?

Dan Darragh

1 hour ago, CSBill said:

He probably is, but why risk having him do it in a meaningless pre-season game?

Also, based on one of the Training Camp reports, Josh Allen is probably your most capable back-up punter. Wouldn't that be wild  - stupid, but fun for a moment.

If true we could pull a Randall Cunningham play - I don't remember the distance but he got it over the deep man's head and it rolled a long way 

2 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

Uh, I think you missed my point.  Bass DID play last night but only kicked off since the Bills never scored and never tried a FG.  My question is why they had Barkley punting instead of Bass 

Different techniques, and you don’t want to risk Bass pulling a hammy AT ALL. 

Also, Matt Barkley is the best punter in team quarterback history.

The legend grows. 

2 hours ago, CSBill said:

He probably is, but why risk having him do it in a meaningless pre-season game?

Also, based on one of the Training Camp reports, Josh Allen is probably your most capable back-up punter. Wouldn't that be wild  - stupid, but fun for a moment.

Like Danny White of Dallas.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Question is what punters are available?

Jordan Berry seems like the only option.

There are currently 3 teams with 2 punters, the Chargers, Titans and Bengals.  Also, when Haack signed with Indy, there were about 5 punters trying out.  There might also be a punter or 2 from the USFL who is good enough to bring in for a tryout.  

3 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

I always assumed that the K practices as a backup to the P (and vice versa).  Why didn't the Bills use Bass to punt?  And what made them think that Barkley would be any good at it?

As has been said didn't want to risk injury from getting hit particularly since backups on O-line.  I'd imagine too punting puts a whole different strain on leg, so Bass could have injured himself.

Could be during practice Barkley looked decent at it.  They must have known for some reason as he looked pretty good at it.  Wouldn't surprise me Barkley's average last night beat Haack's average from last year.  I didn't read through this entire thread but I'm sure if it had, it would been posted. LOL

2 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

At this rate Josh will be doing everything.

When I was a kid playing backyard football, we had a thing called an "angel pass" where the QB could throw it to himself.

22 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Could be during practice Barkley looked decent at it.  They must have known for some reason as he looked pretty good at it. 

Barkley said in the post-game press conference that he never in his life even practiced punting until pre-game warmups.  

I guess the consensus here is that the risk of injury made Barkley the most expendable guy in the building.  Curious, 4 days before cutdown, that nobody was more expendable than your QB3.

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, BearNorth said:

Kern is actually outperforming the rookie punter Stonehouse in TEN, If the Titans release Kern in a cap move, Bills should sign him, vet presence would steady the current noise.

If he is that reliable, and I really like the idea of a veteran who knows what they are doing, it might even be worth a trade--a late round draft pick?

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

There are currently 3 teams with 2 punters, the Chargers, Titans and Bengals.  Also, when Haack signed with Indy, there were about 5 punters trying out.  There might also be a punter or 2 from the USFL who is good enough to bring in for a tryout.  

Something to consider is, how many of those punters have consistently played in inclement weather or cold weather?

A couple of things I can think of -

1) It was a "reward" to Barkley.  As people had mentioned, it's a practice game, so it doesn't really matter.

2) Perhaps Bass can't reliably catch a snap.  Trust me, having someone throw a ball to you underhand, as hard as an average person is capable of throwing, w/ your hands away from your body, is a LOT more challenging than you think. 

And, of course  as people have mentioned, there's the injury risk.  Replacing a 3rd string practice squad QB is easier than an elite kicker.  (For that matter, Barkley's value to the team is not based on his physical capabilities.)

• Thank you (+1) 1

Well, if we have two backup punters (Bass & Barkley), that's better than most teams!

Someone that can kick 40 and under field goals would be good too. I find it weird when a kicker is injured and you have players on the team try out during that week. I mean, all that time in training camp and you allow zero minutes to that important factor?

2 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

Barkley said in the post-game press conference that he never in his life even practiced punting until pre-game warmups.  

I guess the consensus here is that the risk of injury made Barkley the most expendable guy in the building.  Curious, 4 days before cutdown, that nobody was more expendable than your QB3.

He likely meant as a pro, cause they showed a stat he pointed 8xs in college

6 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

I always assumed that the K practices as a backup to the P (and vice versa).  Why didn't the Bills use Bass to punt?  And what made them think that Barkley would be any good at it?

Seriously???  You would want him out there exposing himself to potential injury so he could kick fricking punts???  Thats a special kinda cray cray!!!  Think with your head son!  Bass is going to register ALOT of points for the Bills this year and you want him running around on punts???????

SMFH!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.