Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

Just now, GoBills808 said:

Again, I don't need the courts to decide how I should feel about something.

remember that time a drunken lawyer hit and kiled a girl, went home and tired to hide the evidence was found not guilty.

The court decided he wasn't guilty, so now im cool with that whole situation. 

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

What if the court finds him innocent.  Will the moral do-gooders accept it. 

The road to perdition is paved with good intentions.

From the whole Haack thing I figured they had a good read on things and were going to let things play out, wasn't going to feel great about it but whatever. As things progressed got less certain of that but overall I'm just relieved to be moving on from this whole thing.

• Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

C'mon Exiled.  You know better than that. 

Courts do not find people innocent.  That's not what they do.  They find someone guilty, or not guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.  Civil courts find it "more likely than not" to be true, meaning it can be 50.01% likely or 49.99% unlikely.

None of that means "innocent"

Huh?

Sorry for wording.  I meant thar indirectly.   Find him not guilty = stays innocent.

10 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

The League needs to stand by the Bills here... Morally.

If they want to stand by us, I'll take a 6th round compensatory pick in next year's draft! (Not going to happen, but just saying.)

• Agree 1

Just now, Mango said:

72 hours ago I was counting down the days until kick off. 

Today not so much. I feel a bit dirty as a fan stills 

12 days for it to wash off. I'm only guessing but, if I'm right, I can understand both Beane and McDermott's point of view. And it doesn't sit right that, had it been someone of more importance to the team than the punter then it would have been treated very differently (and that goes across the NFL, not just the Bills).

employers and mine can fire me for any reason other than race sex color religion. It’s the correct move here for his employer and the organization.

(P.S. SDPD, eeek, slow but that’s another matter)

Edited by Since1981

10 minutes ago, Mango said:

The rape kit has yet to be processed. 

This happens a lot in the US. There are 200k unprocessed rape kits in the US. Think about that for a minute. 

True, but that is primarily because police handle each situation differently. Rape kits are meaningless in many cases. DA's need much more than a rape kit to bring charges, especially in a case like this where it does nothing but confirm what both sides already said  happened. The rape kit is useless to the DA in this case. 

Edited by Bills2022

2 minutes ago, Since1981 said:

employers and mine can fire me for any reason other than race sex color religion. It’s the correct move here for his employer and the organization.

(P.S. SDPD, eeek, slow but that’s another matter)

but I was told earlier that Arazia could sue the Bills if they cut him. 

Beane clearly didn’t know the allegations that were in the civil lawsuit. I think that was the deciding factor. He said if even one of those things was true it was a non-starter for the Bills. That implies that there were allegations in the suit the Bills we’re not aware of, and as he said, Araizas story didn’t change from July to now.

The best thing about this thread is it identified the maybe 10 posters I’d want in in a foxhole with me because the number of moral purists on here who’d throw people under the bus on an allegation alone is astounding.

I think the Bills made the right call for the organization. I think Beane and McDermot are honest no BS guys who handled this about as well as they could.

I also think Matt Araiza is not going to have any criminal charges placed. If I were him I wouldn’t settle if he feels he’s 100% innocent. He will be in the NFL with some other team next year if not sooner.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

13 minutes ago, muppy said:

I think it is exactly as Beane stated. They wanted to not rush to an unfair judgment. I think that is fair for both the team AND araiza The ending is the same result it Sucks. Alll of this saga does in all its tawdry detail. I hope the Bills put this behind them ASAP and carry on.. Crazy last coupla days in the chatroom eh mateys?

SMH

I want to put this all behind us.  I want beyond anything for the TEAM to put this all behind them and not be distracted.

But honestly - does what Beane said make sense?  The Bills knew, at least as of July 30 when the plaintiff's lawyer called Kathryn D'Angelo and told her about the pending civil suit and the "boulders" of what was in it.  If they started investigating then and were dedicated to "not rush" and to collect information, how did their "information gathering" suddenly accelerate in the 48 hrs since the civil lawsuit was filed?

It is possible, that when faced with the lawsuit, the Bills information gathering went into overdrive and turned up something that gave them real pause.  And if so, Beane and McDermott quite likely can't talk about it for legal reasons.   They may have called in a chip or had an investigator call in a chip and get some inside skinny from the SDPD or something.  They can't say, if that's so.  So there's that.

But I think it's also possible that

1) either McDermott was getting the 'high level summary' version from Beane, and when the lawsuit filing came out and he read it he threw up in his mouth and said  "Not on My Team, this has to go play out somewhere else"  (or, he watched guys on the team who have wives and daughters throwing up in their mouths)

2) or someone in the Bills PR/Customer Relations department pulled the plug and said "this is a freakin' PR disaster, make it go away"

3) or one of the Pegulas said "Hell to the No, do you hear me? HELL TO THE NO!"

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, mannc said:

Well, looks like Dan Gilleon accomplished his goal...now his client gets to sue and try to collect from an unemployed 22-year old...

Seems to me that, for the girl at least, it isn't really about money.  Its about not letting someone just get away with the horrendous thing that happened.  Being kicked from an NFL team is the start of that.  This may or may not be true but its the impression I get.  If it were about money then the suit could have waited until payday.

55 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Not saying anyone is handling this wrong but Cornelius Bennett was accused and pleaded guilty and is a convicted sex offender.   The details on that were also bad but he is still beloved.  Times have changed.  

that is what is called redemption. Has Bennet redeemed himself of his past sins? I don't want to get philosophical on a secular message board But the topic you broach I think is very valid. A friend of mine likes to say " the more things change, the more they stay the same" Relating to social issues that imo is not the case. And celebrity has a lot to do with it. anyway....