Matt Araiza accused of rape, served with a lawsuit.

bill8164

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

Her intentions are irrelevant. She can intend to go out and get laid without getting raped.

I was a huge slut until I was about 30. I guess I reap what I sow if I got raped. 

The problem is not the girl. It is the rapists. Full stop. 

Literally no one disagrees with this.  

The problem is we all know her intent was to get laid. 

Now that we've established that - wtf happened in that bedroom?  And with who and when?

Do you not see the problem here?  And why rushing to judgement is a mistake?  

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, mannc said:

It’s not at all clear that Araiza knew there was any sort of pending legal matter in April.

I think his lawyer strongly implied that he knew, he just didn't think it would go forward.

I'll try to find the quote which implies this to me. 

It was something about Matt reading an article in the LA Times which didn't name names, but he recognized the incident and hired a lawyer saying he was surprised it was still going forward.  Surprise at something going forward implies you know it's there and could go.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The way the civil lawsuit is very deliberately written to not directly accuse Araiza of participating in the gang rape, I believe there may be some truth to this. All they had to do was draw an implication between her hooking up with Araiza and later being allegedly gang raped and the media would run with that. I find it telling that Araiza's lawyer is out there publicly defending his client, while lawyers for others named in the lawsuit have said "no comment at this time."

I’ll again preface that I’m not racing to judgement but I do think this may be a possible reality. 

Soon to be “celebrity” makes mistake. Celebrities friends do something awful after. School buries it… leveraging the fame and proximity to reignite the investigation could potentially be a thing. And could create a real challenging situation for the bills and their employee.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, Beck Water said:

I think his lawyer strongly implied that he knew, he just didn't think it would go forward.

I'll try to find the quote which implies this to me.

Ok, but remember the time frame.  I’ve seen nothing to suggest there was a threatened lawsuit in April, but maybe there was…

1 minute ago, Boyst62 said:

That's JW laying ground work for him remaining on the team.  Just may hunch. 

The Bills may have just been kicking the can down the road by keeping Araiza out of the last preseason game, but one reason to do that is to prevent injury. Teams can’t release a player with a football related injury unless an injury settlement is first reached. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

This goes to what I said above.  

It was said that all of the football team knew there were stories of a gang rape that took place at that party and 5 players were there, including Matt.  So even if he was not himself in the room and involved, he had to know the stories that something more than just a BJ and a quickie on the lawn took place there.  And even if he didn't take her into the room and throw her face down on the bed as the civil complaint alleges, if he took her inside and introduced her to those guys, he has to know he can be seen as having some type of "accessory" involvement.

The school now acknowledges that they received anonymous complaints about what happened, and naming Matt as involved.

It strains credulity that Araiza didn't know, even if he wasn't in the room and didn't participate.

So he has to let the team know the whole story, IMHO.

I'm also trying to imagine him being at a party with teammates and only hanging out in the yard, having outdoor sex and never entering the house. 

Him admitting to hooking up consensually outside, but claiming he never stepped foot inside is a little hard to believe. 

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

Again, it’s not at all clear that Araiza knew in April that there was any kind of legal issue to be concerned about, especially if you believe he had nothing to do with the alleged gang rape.

Again this thing has been actively discussed on the SDSU campus since it happened. Other athletes were asking for an investigation. He may very well be innocent but he was admittedly with the young lady that evening. So if he answers the ?’s asked he should have brought it up. I’m suggesting the Ravens may have been aware and did not draft him because of it. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

The one thing going though for Matt is he likely has the means to make it rough on the attorney to if this whole thing is proved false.

Not fully. Lawyers are pretty well protected. The attorney can cop out he was given bad information and the woman lied. 

The attorney has free at bats for this. There are pictures, there is something that happened, and there is a celebrity name attached

Even if this turns out to be whack, Araza bad nothing to do with it no one is prosecuting this girl in today's climate for it. No one is going to do anything to her for making this up, lying, anything. It just doesn't happen to women. The only recent big time case where the victim lied and was held responsible was Juicy Smollett. That was a whole lot different.

This attorney is playing it well for his own stake, regardless of the victim. His fame, his attention, his civil suit... He lines this up right and the Bills are also on the suit. That's his end game, to get them to pay six figures to settle this. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

I'm also trying to imagine him being at a party with teammates and only hanging out in the yard, having outdoor sex and never entering the house. 

Him admitting to hooking up consensually outside, but claiming he never stepped foot inside is a little hard to believe. 

I don’t know if it is as I think back to my college days. Many parties were outside and I never went in the house. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

Was on a D1 track team briefly before quiting. Went to many sports teams parties, including football where players were NFL talent. A lot of these parties were insane and only certain groups went inside. Nothing as dramatic as what is on TV but usually 90% of the party was in the basement if you were lucky, and outside which brought the cops. 

High school girls snuck in all the time. 

29 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

And as we saw with McDermott he is extremely conflicted. He wants to the right thing. For the girl. For araiza. For the team. for the organization. But the truth is not evident. And the regular season is 12 days away. I feel for him in a big way. 

the Easy thing to do is cut him, sign another punter, get it out of the way so they don’t have it hanging over them and prepare for the rams. He doesn’t know if that’s the right thing to do. Because he doesn’t know if he was involved. 

They will have no choice but to release him because the court system is not going to move that fast.   That can't go into the season with him as an active member of the team.  It's too much of a distraction and a huge cloud hanging over the team.

• Agree 2

The timeline of events may be very telling once they are out. From what it sounds like, Matt and her hooked up early at the party. Did they continue hanging out afterwards? Did they go there separate ways and were hanging out with others. Did Matt leave the party and she got heavily intoxicated and an hour or two later ended up in the bedroom? 

So many details left out so far. Matt's attorney sounds confident. Maybe he already has a timeline of events and more details from witnesses that he is saving for court.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Captain Caveman said:

If they didn't know those details it's because they failed to investigate / ask.  It's pretty clear her attorney was disappointed in the organization's follow up with them on the details of the case.

I wonder if the Bills investigator(s) didn't go to Jane Doe and her attorney because they were satisfied with what they got from the police who have reportedly been very thorough in their investigation.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

The Bills may have just been kicking the can down the road by keeping Araiza out of the last preseason game, but one reason to do that is to prevent injury. Teams can’t release a player with a football related injury unless an injury settlement is first reached. 

a fair consideration that it may have been a liability issue and not purely moral or PR

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The way the civil lawsuit is very deliberately written to not directly accuse Araiza of participating in the gang rape, I believe there may be some truth to this. All they had to do was draw an implication between her hooking up with Araiza and later being allegedly gang raped and the media would run with that. I find it telling that Araiza's lawyer is out there publicly defending his client, while lawyers for others named in the lawsuit have said "no comment at this time."

I also think that I'm leaning towards this being the case.

It also lends more credence to why the Bills are taking this on the chin right now in the media instead of just making the problem go away. They really think he just got lumped into this attack because he was at the house with her...not in it, and certainly not during the supposed attack.

The timing of this suit...the fact that there's been no criminal charges...the claims of him and her being outside alone...it all says to me that they knew they had a possible payday with a pro athlete being involved with her beforehand, so they are trying to put him into the gang rape part to cash in.

Now I could be totally wrong, but that's what I think from everything I've gathered since this came out

• Agree 3

4 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

Again this thing has been actively discussed on the SDSU campus since it happened. Other athletes were asking for an investigation. He may very well be innocent but he was admittedly with the young lady that evening. So if he answers the ?’s asked he should have brought it up. I’m suggesting the Ravens may have been aware and did not draft him because of it. 

If he had nothing to do with the alleged gang rape and no one was threatening to sue him at the time, then it’s not reasonable to expect him to tell the Bills anything about it except in response to specific questions.

What makes you believe the Ravens knew?