Dawkins contract restructured

Dablitzkrieg

12 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I'm with the bring on OBJ crowd.  5 wide:  Diggs, Davis, OBJ, McKittrick, Tupac.  FUHGEDDABOTIT!!!

Not to mention he's elite insurance down the stretch if one of your top 2 goes down.

And yes no team has the DB's to cover.  McKenzie would be open literally every play

I would really like for us to sign him now. If we wait, a surprise team like KC could throw $ at him 

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Beane is making room for something. Makes you wonder what he's got up his sleeve

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Only move I see Beane maybe doing here with the extra cushion is maybe something with Poyer, otherwise I think he sits on the cap space for the time being as a cushion.

I agree and you're more than likely correct it's just for Poyer and nothing more.

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Only move I see Beane maybe doing here with the extra cushion is maybe something with Poyer, otherwise I think he sits on the cap space for the time being as a cushion.

I think that's consistent with what Beane has said.

A question people need to clarify is: What elements of team payroll must be "under the cap" once the top-51 rule applies?  My understanding is that the cap must cover:

-salaries on the 53 man roster

-salaries of players who are on IR or PUP

-dead cap caused by cutting players who had guaranteed money or amortized signing bonuses

-the practice squad ****

I welcome anyone who can definitively disprove that last.  As evidence for, I present this article from the Ravens blog resident capologist, Brian McFarland (who generally seems to know his stuff).

Do all player count against their team’s Salary Cap?

Yes, once the season has started, all players – whether on the 53-man roster, Injured Reserve (IR), Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) or the Practice Squad (PS) – count against the team’s Salary Cap.  The only players that do not count against the Salary Cap are players who are on one of the NFL’s exempt lists.

The salary cap impact of the 16 player practice squad is difficult to assess exactly, because it can include 6 veteran players with any number of years in the league and the weekly salary is $11,500; $15,400 or up to $19,900 per week (that's $195,500 to $338,300 per season).  So PS costs between $3.12 and $5.4M, depending upon what players are on it.  We know it will include promising rookies as well as some vets, so average and call it $4.3M

If anyone wants to try their hand at the Bills Capology,

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tools/roster/buffalo-bills/

x off the players you believe THE BILLS will cut (not the ones you want them to cut).  Leave on players who are probable IRs, like Marquez Stevenson.

My try at this exercise indicates that the Bills have about $7.9M in cap space after restructuring Dawkins and cutting a bunch of players.

$7.9M in cap space less an estimated $4.3M for the PS salaries, gives $3.6m of cap, which is about the amount Beane likes to take into the season for possible injury replacement signings.

****I think people get confused by the difference between the teams being under a "top-51 cap" rule all preseason, but then that rule expires at midnight the day the regular season starts.  They translate in their minds to "now it's a 53 man roster rule".  But it's not just a 53 man roster rule, it also includes players on IR and PUP and dead cap and yes, practice squad.

• Like (+1) 1

beano gonna take care of some internals:

1. upcoming 27 cuts will eat a little more cap space - good thing we dont cut many picks as the late-rounders have modest dead cap space...

2. PS cap space plus budget for in-season unknowns - injuries, vet depth signing, trade deadline move, etc

3. maybe....one vet contract maintenance ???  its gotta work for the Bills now more than before

2 hours ago, Process said:

I think it's very clear the bills are comfortable with what they have at CB and are ready to roll with the young guys. 

There will be growing pains but I'm looking forward to see how they do. 

People have been saying bring in a vet CB all off-season. It's not happening.

They shouldn't be. They aren't trying to just make the playoffs like the past. You can't have any holes on your team if you want to win a Super Bowl. We had a major hole at CB last year and we all know how that turned out at the most crucial point of the biggest game. Kelce said "they aren't even covering me" and Mahomes just threw it to him. It wasn't even a called play. Embarrassing 

18 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

They shouldn't be. They aren't trying to just make the playoffs like the past. You can't have any holes on your team if you want to win a Super Bowl. We had a major hole at CB last year and we all know how that turned out at the most crucial point of the biggest game. Kelce said "they aren't even covering me" and Mahomes just threw it to him. It wasn't even a called play. Embarrassing 

You don't win the Superbowl in September. Tre White should be back by week 5. 

We will be fine. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Without looking it up, who was the Rams #2CB last year?

29 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

Honestly, how did we not jam/hold him at the line. 5 yards who cares game clock ticks down only time for 1 more play. Knowing Buffalo it would have been a Mahomes hailmary walk off win

I'm not too proud to take a victory lap on the Dawkins restructure.  I said he was the guy in a couple of threads.

Anyone who visits Spotrac could see his contact screamed for a restructure more than any other player.

I'll put the lampshade back on now.

IMO what happens going forward is after the dust settles (Beane is the only one who knows exactly what that means) he will

have enough money for small moves and injury replacements with just enough cash left to sign OBJ if the need comes around November.

Besides Josh, the biggest injury risk would be to the WRs.  OBJ will be available at the perfect time if it's needed!

Facing a lot of tough money decisions next season, if there is an extra few million to carry over, it will not be a bad thing IMO.

1 hour ago, KDIGGZ said:

53 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Honestly, how did we not jam/hold him at the line. 5 yards who cares game clock ticks down only time for 1 more play. Knowing Buffalo it would have been a Mahomes hailmary walk off win

100% a coaching breakdown that would have played out the same with 11 All-pros on the field. When the DC calls a prevent/umbrella defense with Safeties 30 yds downfield, it doesnt matter who is at CB if the assignment says "dont cover the TE".

We were scared of Hill taking another one to the house, and coached/played scared. Oh well.

With likely cuts to get to 53, we'll be roughly 8.5 to 10 million under the cap for this season.  That's a huge cushion to take on a pretty good year 1 cap hit for an extension.

My money though would be on a Knox extension.  They can give him more money up front and raise his cap hit this year which can make his deal alot more team favorable in the long run

• Like (+1) 1

Something is definitely coming. They went into last year with about $4 million after restructuring Poyer right before the season. I’ve always felt $5 million was the key number to be at entering the season. They were already there.

They’re definitely about to spend some cap space. This isn’t a rainy day fund. I’m predicting they’re going to split this extra cap between Poyer and Hyde.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

3 hours ago, Niagara Dude said:

They already saved 1.5 mllion by trading ford and would save another 2.5 mllion by cutting Tyler Matakevich, add the Dawkins savings and that is close to 10 mllion in cap space.   Extending Poyer could net them another 2-3 in cap space

They are not cutting Matakevich.  They had opprotunity to release him earlier and they kept him inactive as they did other starters.

5 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I'm sure there may be. At this point it would be better to sign a veteran after week 1 so the salary is not guaranteed for the whole year.  I believe it still works that way.

Yes contracts for vested veternas are only guarenteed post week 1 UNLESS contract has clause which guarentees it.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Is $6M really a lot in today's NFL? That might get you one replacement starter if we lose someone to injury.

I'd say no not with the money they are throwing around that is a 3 year contract for a RB which they consider a dime a dozen .

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.