Dawkins contract restructured

Dablitzkrieg

1 hour ago, BrooklynBills said:

With likely cuts to get to 53, we'll be roughly 8.5 to 10 million under the cap for this season.  That's a huge cushion to take on a pretty good year 1 cap hit for an extension.

My money though would be on a Knox extension.  They can give him more money up front and raise his cap hit this year which can make his deal alot more team favorable in the long run

I do agree if anyone is signed this year it would be Knox.  His extra cost would be minimal this year.  All it would be is a portion of his signing bonus.

If they wanted to do that Beane could have done it at any time in the last few months.  It just seems to me that now that Knox is back and they

made the Dawkins move as part of a signing deal it would be done already.  If they are waiting it will be next Tuesday IMO.

As to the $8.5M to $10M after cutdown I see it a lot less than what you say.  The PS alone takes up another $3.3.

3 hours ago, BrooklynBills said:

With likely cuts to get to 53, we'll be roughly 8.5 to 10 million under the cap for this season.  That's a huge cushion to take on a pretty good year 1 cap hit for an extension.

My money though would be on a Knox extension.  They can give him more money up front and raise his cap hit this year which can make his deal alot more team favorable in the long run

Using Spotrac which is pretty good - the cutdown to 53 (keeping Tre on the roster and cutting some higher profile guys like Howard) I got 10.7 million after the restructure.  Then taking 4.5 for practice squad drops you to about 6 million.  That is right about where they like to be.

That level drops even more if they put White on PUP and keep another player - as I suspect.  It also drops further if they put Stevenson on IR to “protect” him.  In that case it knocks another 1.4 million down to 4 and 1/2 million left for mid season signings.

They may have a Knox extension in thought, but if that was the plan I would expect a different - larger restructure.

14 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Using Spotrac which is pretty good - the cutdown to 53 (keeping Tre on the roster and cutting some higher profile guys like Howard) I got 10.7 million after the restructure.  Then taking 4.5 for practice squad drops you to about 6 million.  That is right about where they like to be.

That level drops even more if they put White on PUP and keep another player - as I suspect.  It also drops further if they put Stevenson on IR to “protect” him.  In that case it knocks another 1.4 million down to 4 and 1/2 million left for mid season signings.

They may have a Knox extension in thought, but if that was the plan I would expect a different - larger restructure.

I forgot about PS guys counting against the cap, but I think 4.5 million is a little high. Also, there is no requirement to have vets on the practice squad so the Bills can get to as low as 2.6 million against from the PS.

I have the Knox extension around 4yr - 50 million.  It makes very little sense to not extend him before the offseason if they are close on value because moving money into this current season by way of the prorated signing bonus and guaranteed salary is one of the primary benefits to Bills in terms of re-signing him.

1 minute ago, BrooklynBills said:

I forgot about PS guys counting against the cap, but I think 4.5 million is a little high. Also, there is no requirement to have vets on the practice squad so the Bills can get to as low as 2.6 million against from the PS.

I have the Knox extension around 4yr - 50 million.  It makes very little sense to not extend him before the offseason if they are close on value because moving money into this current season by way of the prorated signing bonus and guaranteed salary is one of the primary benefits to Bills in terms of re-signing him.

Maybe, but I am guessing we get at least 4 or 5 Vets minimum out of the 16 because I think they can cut those guys and not lose them.  Barkley, Duke Johnson, maybe a Shaq Lawson, Van Rotten perhaps, could see a Sweeney, Gentry and a Joe Giles-Harris on the squad.  

From the money seen, all rookies put at at a bit over 3 million for the PS- vets can add more especially as they want a touch more to ensure they remain.  We will see, but I expect the Bills to have a bit more expensive PS than some others.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.