Jump to content

Primetime thinks he’s too good for the Hall of Fame


Charles Romes
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

I agree.  All sports seem to have gotten very loose with hall of fame honors.  I would like to see another layer for the true 'greats'

 

Its the same thing with jersey retirements.  Everyone wants quick gratification.  Teams want something to market. Paul ONeill is having his jersey retired as a Yankee.   Ryan Miller's number should be nowhere near retirement-echelon

I agree.  I love the Sabres but there's no way an organization that has lacked as much success as they have should have as many jerseys retired as they do.  Hasek?  Absolutely deserving.  RJ?  100% but they never should've retired LaFontaine's number and I wasn't thrilled when they announced Miller going up in the rafters especially since they just raised the RJ banner last year.  That should be a truly elite accolade that occurs very seldomly 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I was speaking with an NFL Alumni earlier this morning. He said none of the guys this year belong in the hall. He mentioned Terrell Davis as another guy who had a questionable resume. 

 

People always question Terrell Davis but never Gale Sayers.

 

Davis is a 2-time Super Bowl Champ (and came up BIG in both) and a large part of the reason Elway has any rings at all.  He's a 3-time first team all pro, 1998 League MVP, made the 90s all decade team, has a career average of 4.6 ypc...

 

Yes, his career was cut short by injury, but he was undoubtedly an elite talent that played like it on the field and under the brightest lights. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

 

I just meant he was one of the best of his era, although his career was short.  The other guys were not the best of their era at their positions.  But, I also thought Boselli played more like 7 years and didnt realize it was only 5.  So now that I have seen that, I would say none of the ones who got in should have made it and there are 5 better choices on the semifinalist list than these 5 guys.  

I just think that Richmond Webb and Bruce Armstrong had better careers than Boselli. They battled Bruce Smith to some classic matchups

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

 

People always question Terrell Davis but never Gale Sayers.

 

Davis is a 2-time Super Bowl Champ (and came up BIG in both) and a large part of the reason Elway has any rings at all.  He's a 3-time first team all pro, 1998 League MVP, made the 90s all decade team, has a career average of 4.6 ypc...

 

Yes, his career was cut short by injury, but he was undoubtedly an elite talent that played like it on the field and under the brightest lights. 

 

The argument is under Shanahan they took UDFAs and turned them into 1000 yard rushers so it was scheme more than player.

 

Davis was a very good player but if he is in Sterling Sharpe should have been in way before. Sharpe is far more elite talent wise than Davis was.

7 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

 

I just meant he was one of the best of his era, although his career was short.  The other guys were not the best of their era at their positions.  But, I also thought Boselli played more like 7 years and didnt realize it was only 5.  So now that I have seen that, I would say none of the ones who got in should have made it and there are 5 better choices on the semifinalist list than these 5 guys.  

 

Sterling Sharpe should be in...it is a travesty these dudes with shortened careers make it in while he is still waiting.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

I agree.  All sports seem to have gotten very loose with hall of fame honors.  I would like to see another layer for the true 'greats'

 

Its the same thing with jersey retirements.  Everyone wants quick gratification.  Teams want something to market. Paul ONeill is having his jersey retired as a Yankee.   Ryan Miller's number should be nowhere near retirement-echelon

 

 

Quick??  He retired 21 years ago lol

 

He's a 5 time All Star, has 5 Yankee rings and is in Monument Park.  What's wrong with them retiring his number??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

 

The argument is under Shanahan they took UDFAs and turned them into 1000 yard rushers so it was scheme more than player.

 

Davis was a very good player but if he is in Sterling Sharpe should have been in way before. Sharpe is far more elite talent wise than Davis was.

 

I respectfully disagree.  It's a true shame what happened to Sharpe because he definitely had Hall of Fame talent, but carrying your team to back to back Super Bowl victories and winning league MVP isn't done by just any Joe Schmo.  Terrell Davis was a rare breed of athleticism, *speed and power at the RB position.  

Edited by Chicken Boo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

 

People always question Terrell Davis but never Gale Sayers.

 

Davis is a 2-time Super Bowl Champ (and came up BIG in both) and a large part of the reason Elway has any rings at all.  He's a 3-time first team all pro, 1998 League MVP, made the 90s all decade team, has a career average of 4.6 ypc...

 

Yes, his career was cut short by injury, but he was undoubtedly an elite talent that played like it on the field and under the brightest lights. 

Only a few backs in the history of this game from the pre 1970's could play in this era. Gale Sayers was likely one of them. Nobody really ran with his acceleration or burst at the time. Next closest I can recall is Lenny Moore, but Sayers was just flat out better. If injuries didn't crush his career he would be considered one of the greatest RB's of all time (if you want to make an argument on this point, understood, plenty of stars had a career end early and did not get the benefit Sayers did).  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I won't speak for Deion, but I follow the NHL Hall of Fame fairly closely and a diluted inductee fields have been a problem for over a decade now.

 

The problem is that the Hall of Fames feel pressure every year to induct the maximum number of eligible players. Some years this works, but most years there are 1 or 2 players that are borderline worthy that get in. In the NHL, the recent notorious ones are Glen Anderson, Joe Niewendyk, and Dick Duff. It's only a matter of time before players like Alex Mogilny make it. 

 

The best move is to do what the MLB does and become very strict. The downside is that some years you get 0 inductees. But that makes the Hall of Fame that much more valuable. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

 

I respectfully disagree.  It's a true shame what happened to Sharpe because he definitely had Hall of Fame talent, but carrying your team to back to back Super Bowl victories and winning league MVP isn't done by just any Joe Schmo.  Terrell Davis was a rare breed of athleticism, *speed and power at the RB position.  

 

Well, the PFR HOF Monitor agrees with you as Terrell Davis is at a little over 100 which is 10th amongst all RBs 

 

His playoff numbers are amazing...5.6 YPC over 8 games.

 

 

  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ToGoGo said:

I won't speak for Deion, but I follow the NHL Hall of Fame fairly closely and a diluted inductee fields have been a problem for over a decade now.

 

The problem is that the Hall of Fames feel pressure every year to induct the maximum number of eligible players. Some years this works, but most years there are 1 or 2 players that are borderline worthy that get in. In the NHL, the recent notorious ones are Glen Anderson, Joe Niewendyk, and Dick Duff. It's only a matter of time before players like Alex Mogilny make it. 

 

The best move is to do what the MLB does and become very strict. The downside is that some years you get 0 inductees. But that makes the Hall of Fame that much more valuable. 

Exactly 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/15/2022 at 4:19 AM, Ethan in Portland said:

As for the watered down issue, I tend to agree but it is not a new phenomenon.  Lynn Swann and John Stallworth were both good players on an amazing dynasty. Neither should in the HOF. I can name several more but I will highlight Levy and Kurt Warner. Great stories but not HOF worthy.

Eli will make the HOF as a 2 time SB winner with a ton of yards. But he only made 4 ProBowls in 16 years. Was he even a top 5 QB when he played? I'd argue in no particular order Brady, Peyton, Rivers, Roethlisberger, Rodgers, Brees, Ryan, early Wilson and late Favre are all better QBs. Obviously Eli's career doesn't overlap perfectly with all these QBs but I'd take every one except Ryan over Eli.

 

I disagree on Kurt Warner. Okay, the middle of his career was very meh, but the start and the end he revitalised two moribund franchises and did so smashing record after record. Took his teams to the Superbowl 3 times, winning one and losing two to basically the final play of the game. He was the first person to throw 40 touchdowns in the regular season and win the Superbowl in the same year. He did it in 1999. It took 21 years for Tom Brady to match it. I agree the HoF is watered down, once you have an arbitrary number of guys you will elect each year it is bound to get that way, but I'd put Kurt Warner in the HoF even off the highest bar.  Sure he only had 6 years of top end QB stats in his career. But it isn't the Hall of Stats. It is the Hall of Fame.

10 hours ago, Big Turk said:

 

Well, the PFR HOF Monitor agrees with you as Terrell Davis is at a little over 100 which is 10th amongst all RBs 

 

His playoff numbers are amazing...5.6 YPC over 8 games.

 

I have never looked at that PFR HOF monitor before, thanks @Big Turk. Interestingly their lowest graded QB among current HOFers is our very own Jim Kelly. 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Big Turk said:

 

Well, the PFR HOF Monitor agrees with you as Terrell Davis is at a little over 100 which is 10th amongst all RBs 

 

His playoff numbers are amazing...5.6 YPC over 8 games.

 

 

 

That Denver O-Line is a great example of an entire unit being eligible for the HOF.

 

Every RB they put behind that line had great numbers.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Gugny said:

 

That Denver O-Line is a great example of an entire unit being eligible for the HOF.

 

Every RB they put behind that line had great numbers.

 

It is really a case of an assistant coach who should, posthumously, go into the HoF. Alex Gibbs was one of the best oline coaches to ever do it and is the true grandfather of the stretch zone scheme we see proliferating the NFL today. It looks like Mike Shanahan is going to get in. I know they have cut HoF speeches right down these days but if he makes it I would be disappointed if he didn't give a well deserved mention to Gibbs. 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

His point makes a lot of sense and Peter King spoke of this in his column this week. The hall use to be for true greats or players who defined their spot. I was fine with Terrell Davis making it in because he was a true great that was only limited by injuries. That is not weakening the hall to me, that is including someone who deserves it that had a crappy bit of luck. Per Peter King in the 1970s 43 men were enshrined, 1980s 45, in the last 16 months 36 new enshrined members. Some of this was because the Centennial class was suppose to bring in a lot of older type guys but only 4 of the 15 members were from the first 40 years. Figure coaches like Dick Vermil and Bill Cowher both made it in with a SB win and 120 wins. To me neither of them were greats, they were really good with their moments.

 

To me HOF is suppose to be greats and societies switch to win or nothing has kind of caused this watered down effect. Pete Carrol and Mike McCarthy both have rings and over a 120+ wins and in no way should either see the hall of fame. It is why I am not for Eli Manning getting into the hall of fame as he was mostly an above average QB with two big moments. He was never one of the top 5 QBs consistently during his time which should be standard held for entering.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/14/2022 at 7:44 PM, Rochesterfan said:

I agree it is watered down, but what a scummy thing to say for a HOFer - especially with the timing of the inductions.

 

Deion was all about 1 person and quite frankly - I rather see him removed from the Hall than given any credence. 
 

I wish the rest of the HOFers told him to Suck It and booted his sorry butt out.  He does not deserve the honor with that attitude.

 

 

 

 


My rotten Chester friend, if you believe that, you could say the same about Bruuuce, as he absconded the idea of Boselli being placed in the HOF.  I agree with Deon it has been watered down, but to publically say it is too much.  I don’t think Bruce should’ve said what he did on insta either.  Show some class.

 

BTW, you know I’m just kidding with you.  I almost always like you’re posts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, machine gun kelly said:


My rotten Chester friend, if you believe that, you could say the same about Bruuuce, as he absconded the idea of Boselli being placed in the HOF.  I agree with Deon it has been watered down, but to publically say it is too much.  I don’t think Bruce should’ve said what he did on insta either.  Show some class.

 

BTW, you know I’m just kidding with you.  I almost always like you’re posts.

 

That's not completely true. Bruce's beef was with all the Boselli Stans online who kept banging on one game instead of his career. Bruce has been otherwise completely supportive of Boselli getting the nod.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

 

It is really a case of an assistant coach who should, posthumously, go into the HoF. Alex Gibbs was one of the best oline coaches to ever do it and is the true grandfather of the stretch zone scheme we see proliferating the NFL today. It looks like Mike Shanahan is going to get in. I know they have cut HoF speeches right down these days but if he makes it I would be disappointed if he didn't give a well deserved mention to Gibbs. 


As much as I liked Coach Vermeil as a person, he wasn’t worth a yellow jacket. I can see Shanahan though as he was a winner.  There are others that to me are ahead of Vermiel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...