Jump to content

Best value picks in Bills history?


Recommended Posts

Recent: Kyle Williams 5th round

 

Old timers:

 

Tom Sestak (wall of fame) 17th round - 1962

Mike Stratton (wall of fame) 13th round - 1962

Daryl Lamonica 24th round -1963

Bob Chandler - 7th round - 1971

 

Andre Reed gets my vote though.

  • Like (+1) 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's got to be Andre in the third.  He was the last drafted of the core four that we wouldn't have made four straight Super Bowls without.  Bruce Smith at #1 was also excellent value :) .

 

Howard Ballard in the 11th round was a sneaky good pick.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

It's got to be Andre in the third.  He was the last drafted of the core four that we wouldn't have made four straight Super Bowls without.  Bruce Smith at #1 was also excellent value :) .

 

Howard Ballard in the 11th round was a sneaky good pick.

You mean Andre Reed in the 4th. What I don’t understand (because I was too young to have any interest in football at the time) is that if the Bills were looking for WR help, why didn’t they pick Jerry Rice at #14 instead of CB Derrick Burroughs? I’ve never even heard of that guy. Granted if they picked Rice they probably wouldn’t have selected Andre Reed later, but I think most, if not all, would make that trade in a heartbeat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

You mean Andre Reed in the 4th. What I don’t understand (because I was too young to have any interest in football at the time) is that if the Bills were looking for WR help, why didn’t they pick Jerry Rice at #14 instead of CB Derrick Burroughs? I’ve never even heard of that guy. Granted if they picked Rice they probably wouldn’t have selected Andre Reed later, but I think most, if not all, would make that trade in a heartbeat.

Because they were looking for CB help?

 

Honestly, the Bills drafted 2 of the 5 HoFers from 85. That's a damn good draft any way you slice it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Because they were looking for CB help?

 

Honestly, the Bills drafted 2 of the 5 HoFers from 85. That's a damn good draft any way you slice it.

Sure it is, but it would’ve been epic if the first two picks in round one were Bruce Smith and Jerry Rice. I know, I know, hindsight and all that.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

why didn’t they pick Jerry Rice at #14 instead of CB Derrick Burroughs? I’ve never even heard of that guy.

Burroughs career was cut short (I think still on his rookie deal) with a neck injury that revealed cervical stenosis after he had some temporary paralysis on a hit… If that had happened to Rice, people probably wouldn’t remember him as the goat either.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

 

No one is going to refer to Davis as just "solid" anymore once this season begins.  He might even lead the Bills in receiving this year

If that happens our offense will destroy all this year.  Plus Shakir as a darkhorse addition?  Season can't start soon enough. 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JayBaller10 said:

You mean Andre Reed in the 4th. What I don’t understand (because I was too young to have any interest in football at the time) is that if the Bills were looking for WR help, why didn’t they pick Jerry Rice at #14 instead of CB Derrick Burroughs? I’ve never even heard of that guy. Granted if they picked Rice they probably wouldn’t have selected Andre Reed later, but I think most, if not all, would make that trade in a heartbeat.

Yeah.  The 4th.  My mistake.  There were 13 teams before us that passed on Rice too as the knock on him was he didn't go to a division 1 school and he had a slow 40 yard dash for a WR.  I still consider Rice the greatest player in NFL history.  

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...