Training Camp practice 7/29

YoloinOhio

28 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

You know these people are paid millions to have sources right?  If you didn't, now ya do

I know and here are 3 reports from 3 different sources......

"considered relatively minor", likely a hip pointer", still being evaluated".

19 minutes ago, GaryPinC said:

image.thumb.png.224cf4d89cb8148b97034def72a35fb4.png   

Can you really say anything about how injury rate affected the Texans in 2020 or did they just suck regardless?  There's no clear trend with increasing injury, it's just a cluster of spread data with San Fran and Dallas as outliers.  Not like it follows the drawn line in any way, hinting it's an incorrect analysis.

"Right now, few public metrics capture the impact that injuries can have on a team’s on-field performance. "

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-data-study-war-adjusted-injuries-lost

The point of the article is to use Bayesian statistics to predict how much teams W-L records have been affected by injuries and ultimately attempt to predict how records will be affected by sustained injuries in-season.  It's a valiant but seemingly feeble attempt as they tie it to pre-season records.  Gotta start somewhere though.

I can find zero basis for the "we're due for a rash of injuries" you seem to feel the data supports.  They do make the point with a chart that injuries are random and unpredictable so I guess you can claim karma but they don't deal with that here.  Injuries have 3rd least affected our W-L record compared to preseason.  Great.

I feel like their time would be better spent comparing injury rates between established teams with consistent coaching and training staffs versus teams with high turnover of personnel and/or coaches year-to-year.

I would guess poor training staffs and players being out of position or confused due to inexperience and/or new Coordinators would have the biggest impact on injury rate above baseline.

Good points, can’t disagree. 

2 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

We’ve been so starved for good TE play that we think last year he was a stud…compared to other TE, though, he was solid, but nothing special imo

No…no he’s not…

I find it hard to argue he’s not top 10 most desirable, especially considering his age and trajectory. If we had top 10 players across the board and Josh, I like our chances. 

2 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

"As a precautionary measure, they may have removed his spleen. He is pre-registered for a hip replacement, but it is not yet known whether it is his hip." That is the kind of reporting we are seeing to date. Care to guess along with the media?

Is that you Thad?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, gobills404 said:

He’s a great tight end that doesn’t get the targets he deserves. If he played in an offense with either 1 or 0 good receivers, like all of the top producing tight ends, he would put up huge numbers.

Yo, Crispy, this on top of (11) eleven TDs  so…., I’m waiting…, 😁👍

1 hour ago, GaryPinC said:

image.thumb.png.224cf4d89cb8148b97034def72a35fb4.png   

Can you really say anything about how injury rate affected the Texans in 2020 or did they just suck regardless?  There's no clear trend with increasing injury, it's just a cluster of spread data with San Fran and Dallas as outliers.  Not like it follows the drawn line in any way, hinting it's an incorrect analysis.

"Right now, few public metrics capture the impact that injuries can have on a team’s on-field performance. "

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-data-study-war-adjusted-injuries-lost

The point of the article is to use Bayesian statistics to predict how much teams W-L records have been affected by injuries and ultimately attempt to predict how records will be affected by sustained injuries in-season.  It's a valiant but seemingly feeble attempt as they tie it to pre-season records.  Gotta start somewhere though.

I can find zero basis for the "we're due for a rash of injuries" you seem to feel the data supports.  They do make the point with a chart that injuries are random and unpredictable so I guess you can claim karma but they don't deal with that here.  Injuries have 3rd least affected our W-L record compared to preseason.  Great.

I feel like their time would be better spent comparing injury rates between established teams with consistent coaching and training staffs versus teams with high turnover of personnel and/or coaches year-to-year.

I would guess poor training staffs and players being out of position or confused due to inexperience and/or new Coordinators would have the biggest impact on injury rate above baseline.

The Bills injury rate has been lower BECAUSE of the emphasis the Bills place on cutting edge Sports Science, tracking players movement and giving them rest once they exceed a certain threshold, ensuring they receive state of the art treatment and playing it safe with returning if the player is susceptible to re-injury, and having a world class training facility that no other team can boast of.

There is a reason the Bills have been in the top 5 for fewest man games lost to injury every year McDermott has been here and it stems from making sure they are doing everything possible to support resting players properly before they reach a point where the soft tissue injuries are likely to start happening, ensuring they are receiving optimal treatments to support their recovery and not trying to rush them back from injury too soon.

This isn't luck, it's by design.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Miller’s most regular victim on Friday was second-year linemen Tommy Doyle. The youngster lined up at left tackle for Dawkins and was just simply outmatched by Miller throughout practice. Doyle had two reps where he ended up on the ground after struggling to deal with the speed of Miller. On the second one he wound up in a split as he tried to stay with Miller and on his feet. Miller flew around the edge and left Doyle in the dust.

:o

Also, another report mentioning another good day from Epenesa - he's stacking them

• Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.