Training Camp practice 7/29

YoloinOhio

10 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

I'm with you on this.....Obviously can never know what can/will happen.....

But I am also in the group that feels very confident Bills defeat Bengals if in OP. I will even go a bit further and say I also think they would have won in Cincy... probably a bit tougher, but still 

I agree but it's worth noting that Cinci put themselves into a position where they could dictate their playoff opponent...........people forget they were the #3 seed going into the finale........not Buffalo........but they intentionally tanked and rested their starters to get the easier matchup against Vegas and align themselves as the #4 seed to play the one-dimensional Titans in the divisional round.

By virtue of their poor AFC record the Bills did not have any control over their opponent destiny.........they were forced to prepare to win their finale to avoid ending up on the road in the WC if NE won and they lost.

The Bills actually got funneled into KC by Cinci playing the card the Bengals had earned in the regular season by winning more than Buffalo in the conference.    Cinci felt better about going to Buffalo in the AFCCG than having to play both KC AND Buffalo in the same playoffs.    Which proved wise because KC beat Buffalo but that game after 4 seasons of going deep into the playoffs every year seemed to leave KC flat in the AFCCG.

Still.........I would have LOVED Buffalo's chances at home against Cinci in the AFCCG...........it would have been an entirely different dynamic than it was for Cinci going to KC........who was hosting their 4th straight AFCCG.

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

The game's outcome was razor thin.  One third down pass break-up giving the ball back to Josh could have been the difference.

Presuming that Tre White's contributions would not have made a difference is also a fact-free opinion.

Impossible to know how it would have turned out. That said, I could never say that Tre would not have made a difference considering he's is too good of a player.

Maybe would never had come down to 13 seconds if he had played. But for sake of discussion,  if he played and it came down to same ending with 13 seconds, does the coaches play calls on defense change or stay the same regardless?

I'm not so sure they do anything different and would have sent same type of defense with Tre...that's something I would wonder sometimes..

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Personal disappointment with the team is totally irrelevant to the discussion of "the reality of what occurred".

THREE BIG UPSET LOSSES........one to the worst team in football.........cost them home field advantage.

They are 0-4 on the road in the playoffs........in real life.......under Sean McDermott and each loss has been chock full of "wtf" moments that were totally uncharacteristic for the team in those seasons.    

Those are examples of reality.

Presuming Tre White somehow ensures a victory in KC in the divisional game is just a fact-free opinion.

See AFCCG 2021 for the closest example of proof of how he would have performed behind another limp playoff pass rush.

Because don't tell me about the 2021 regular season road matchup..........the SB era Bills were undefeated against the NFC in ALL meaningful games in those 4 regular seasons.......14-2 with the only 2 losses being season finales with home field advantage already clinched and the starters on bench.

Included in those regular season wins was an early season win in Dallas sandwiched between 2 SB blowouts vs that team in a 12 month period between January 93' and January 94'.........and a win against the Giants in NY late in the season where they lost to the Giants in the SB.........and wins against outstanding teams in San Francisco(no punts game) and a then 11-4 New Orleans team on the road.    

And I would have taken my chances against Cinci at home in any round.    I think the Bills would have hung 50 on the Bengals D at home.  

We're arguing over a hypothetical.  I didn't bring up the regular season game and couldn't care less about the early 90's Bills.  I believe the Bills beat the Chiefs if Tre White was in the lineup in the playoffs.  You presumably don't.  I believe he would've made one play either during the game or in those last 13 seconds that would've been the difference.  Especially with our offense playing the way it was with the Honey Badger out.

As far as the Bengals, home field advantage means nothing to me.  I'd have to look at the advanced metrics but the quality of play didn't seem that different between at home or on the road.  Just inconsistent week to week throughout the year no matter where we played.  We had clunkers at home (Steelers, Colts) and on the road (Jaguars).  The Bengals defense shut down the Chiefs in the second half of the AFC Championship game by mixing up coverages and only bringing three in the 2nd half in about half of their plays.  Reid and Mahomes weren't able to adjust.  I think a similar strategy would've been used against our offense with similar success.  I highly doubt we would have put up 50 on them.  Meanwhile, they had the best three WR combo in the league and would've given our secondary problems.  I don't think we win that game without Tre White.

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I agree but it's worth noting that Cinci put themselves into a position where they could dictate their playoff opponent...........people forget they were the #3 seed going into the finale........not Buffalo........but they intentionally tanked and rested their starters to get the easier matchup against Vegas and align themselves as the #4 seed to play the one-dimensional Titans in the divisional round.

By virtue of their poor AFC record the Bills did not have any control over their opponent destiny.........they were forced to prepare to win their finale to avoid ending up on the road in the WC if NE won and they lost.

The Bills actually got funneled into KC by Cinci playing the card the Bengals had earned in the regular season by winning more than Buffalo in the conference.    Cinci felt better about going to Buffalo in the AFCCG than having to play both KC AND Buffalo in the same playoffs.    Which proved wise because KC beat Buffalo but that game after 4 seasons of going deep into the playoffs every year seemed to leave KC flat in the AFCCG.

Still.........I would have LOVED Buffalo's chances at home against Cinci in the AFCCG...........it would have been an entirely different dynamic than it was for Cinci going to KC........who was hosting their 4th straight AFCCG.

Yeah, I mean I get where you're coming from and all that. I mean just one of those general "what if" scenarios if Bills had ended up against Bengals 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.