GOP Senators block passage of act to provide benefits to toxic-exposed veterans

14 hours ago, ChiGoose said:

(Citation needed)

The bill is 150 pages. How many pages do you think is actually needed to secure funding for this particular vet issue?

The bill eliminates pay caps for VA employees as well as authorizing bonuses and $40k/year in student loan forgiveness. On top of that it calls for incredible amounts of “research” which is basically just a money laundering operation. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 7/30/2022 at 9:56 PM, L Ron Burgundy said:

Jon Stewart 1

Ted Cruz 0

Stewart should be acknowledged for raising awareness on some of these issues, and he appears to be willing to attack both sides of the aisle.  He was critical of the Biden Afghanistan withdrawal and called him an “apologist for the Taliban”.  

I have no doubt Crus is telling the truth about negotiations, but it just goes to show you how these dipshyts in Congress operate. 

• Agree 3

Serious question: I’ve been looking for an objective study linking exposure to these burn pits to various diseases. So far I’m coming up empty. I have no problem with committing money to further research of possible ties, but should we be legislating in a manner that implies that Congress (not science) has established such a link?

• Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Serious question: I’ve been looking for an objective study linking exposure to these burn pits to various diseases. So far I’m coming up empty. I have no problem with committing money to further research of possible ties, but should we be legislating in a manner that implies that Congress (not science) has established such a link?

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=burn pit

83 hits, some of which aren't related to this issue but more can certainly be found by optimizing the key word search

Edited by DRsGhost

41 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

One man’s “objective” is another’s “it’s just a far________ think tank!”. 

3 hours ago, DRsGhost said:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=burn pit

83 hits, some of which aren't related to this issue but more can certainly be found by optimizing the key word search

Thanks. I did a little more digging, so here’s what i found:

- there’s a sound basis for concluding that exposure to burn pits may cause various ailments down the line, although how far down the line (the bill takes it from 5 years to 10 years) is really unknown.  
- the bill creates a presumption that burn pit exposure caused a whole array of ailments. In other words it’s sufficient to show (1) you were exposed; (2) you’ve got the ailment. This eliminates the difficult task of showing causation. 
is this fair? Well, on balance … probably. We do know there’s a lot of fraud in VA disability claims, so this is a classic “we are willing to accept paying out on some (many?) bogus or poorly substantiated claims in order to make sure we don’t deny some (many) valid ones.” But it’s not like it’s a foregone conclusion that anyone who ever opposed the bill is evil. So on balance … two cheers for Jon Stewart here. 

11 hours ago, B-Man said:

They blocked $400 billion in spending not related to vets.   Good for them.

This bill had a lot of pork and very little to help veterans. Democrats should be ashamed.

This is a complete lie.  Nothing was in the bill not related to vets.  Reps are just backtracking because of the blowback.

Edited by L Ron Burgundy
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

This is a complete lie.  Nothing was in the bill not related to vets.  Reps are just backtracking because of the blowback.

Sure, it’s much more likely a handful of politicians just wanted the awesome publicity of voting against veterans healthcare!?! 😂 

They deliberately don’t make it easy to read, but CBO sure seems to think there are hundreds of billions of “discretionary” money.  

discretionary

dĭ-skrĕsh′ə-nĕr″ē

adjective

Left to or regulated by one's own discretion or judgment.

Available for use as needed or desired.

Available at one's discretion; able to be used as one chooses; left to or regulated by one's own discretion or judgment.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/house-bill/3967

related to vets… lol…. Buy a Ferrari then drive by the WW2 monument (now it’s related to vets) 

Forty-two Republicans voted against the bill called the Honoring Our Promise to Address Comprehensive Toxics Act. Toomey led the GOP opposition to the bill because its text defined the spending as “mandatory” rather than “discretionary.”

He told host Jake Tapper on CNN’s “State of the Union” that he was against the bill because of “an unrelated $400 billion spending spree that has nothing to do with veterans and that won’t be in the veterans’ space.”

“This is the oldest trick in Washington. People take a sympathetic group of Americans – and it could be children with an illness, it could be victims of crime, it could be veterans who’ve been exposed to toxic chemicals – craft a bill to address their problems, and then sneak in something completely unrelated that they know could never pass on its own and dare Republicans to do anything about it,” Toomey charged.

https://www.bizpacreview.com/2022/08/01/dems-snuck-unrelated-spending-into-veterans-bill-then-unleashed-pseudo-celebrity-jon-stewart-to-trash-gop-for-opposing-it-1268445/

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

5 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Sure, it’s much more likely a handful of politicians just wanted the awesome publicity of voting against veterans healthcare!?! 😂 

They deliberately don’t make it easy to read, but CBO sure seems to think there are hundreds of billions of “discretionary” money.  

discretionary

dĭ-skrĕsh′ə-nĕr″ē

adjective

Left to or regulated by one's own discretion or judgment.

Available for use as needed or desired.

Available at one's discretion; able to be used as one chooses; left to or regulated by one's own discretion or judgment.

related to vets… lol…. Buy a Ferrari then drive by the WW2 monument (now it’s related to vets) 

Me thinks you are incorrect.   Ted wants the funding as discretionary not mandatory. Watch the videos pal.

It was payback.  The political theater is coming from the right this time.  Also just because something is discretionary doesn't mean it won't go to vets.  We overspend all the time this is one area I don't mind.

The fist bumps were cool though. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

Me thinks you are incorrect.   Ted wants the funding as discretionary not mandatory. Watch the videos pal.

It was payback.  The political theater is coming from the right this time.  Also just because something is discretionary doesn't mean it won't go to vets.  We overspend all the time this is one area I don't mind.

The fist bumps were cool though. 

I read most of the bill and all of the cbo report. I ‘Thinks’ you want to believe what you want- that’s on you. 

The folks trying to steal more of our money using veterans health as a Trojan horse are just and bad as the ones resisting it. Go look at how much Bureaucratic baggage this burn pit issue has carried along with it for the past couple years and all the surrounding partisan shenanigans.  Now all of the sudden it’s urgent?? 😂 

if you think more than 10% of this money will go to vets health you refuse to understand how this dc clown show works. 

6 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I read most of the bill and all of the cbo report. I ‘Thinks’ you want to believe what you want- that’s on you. 

The folks trying to steal more of our money using veterans health as a Trojan horse are just and bad as the ones resisting it. Go look at how much Bureaucratic baggage this burn pit issue has carried along with it for the past couple years and all the surrounding partisan shenanigans.  Now all of the sudden it’s urgent?? 😂 

if you think more than 10% of this money will go to vets health you refuse to understand how this dc clown show works. 

Ah so now the pork is gone and it's just your opinion that the money won't be used as should.  

Aka, you were wrong.   The discretionary piece was wanted, in Cruz's own words, by Republicans. 

We need at least to be able to agree on facts.  There was no other spending in the bill, if you read it then you know that.  What will happen later I don't know, I haven't commented on that.  Some here are very quick to jump on misinformation from Twitter, blast it out on the forum, where the sheep then jump on it as fact.   

If I am wrong feel free to point out what money will not go to vets in there.  

4 minutes ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

Ah so now the pork is gone and it's just your opinion that the money won't be used as should.  

Aka, you were wrong.   The discretionary piece was wanted, in Cruz's own words, by Republicans. 

We need at least to be able to agree on facts.  There was no other spending in the bill, if you read it then you know that.  What will happen later I don't know, I haven't commented on that.  Some here are very quick to jump on misinformation from Twitter, blast it out on the forum, where the sheep then jump on it as fact.   

If I am wrong feel free to point out what money will not go to vets in there.  

Reading isn’t for everyone 

pork, is money not being used for what the bills says it’s for. Why is this so hard for you. I pay a Schitt ton of taxes and don’t like to see it wasted. 

READ THE BILL AND CBO REPORT or STFU.

stop listening to what Don Lemmon and tucker Carlson tell you to think and try thinking for yourself…

geeze it’s like arguing with a 4 year old. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

41 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Reading isn’t for everyone 

pork, is money not being used for what the bills says it’s for. Why is this so hard for you. I pay a Schitt ton of taxes and don’t like to see it wasted. 

READ THE BILL AND CBO REPORT or STFU.

stop listening to what Don Lemmon and tucker Carlson tell you to think and try thinking for yourself…

geeze it’s like arguing with a 4 year old. 

You've got nothing.   

The right look like jokers here for voting this down for nonsense then lying about it.

You defined discretionary for me earlier can you define hypocrisy?  I'm thinking that may apply to someone that says think for yourself but blindly gargles Ted Cruz's sack.  But define it for me so I can be sure.

We shouldn't just blindly give money for anything,  even vets, but our military's dumb decision messed these people up we should probably help them now.  

52 minutes ago, 716er said:

What specific text from the bill does @Over 29 years of fanhood take issue with? 

Nothing.  @Doc Brown summed it perfectly earlier in this thread.  Reps voted for it before then 1 sentence was amended that changed virtually nothing.

This is all games from the right (this time, the left certainly plays their games too).

Another wonderful example of monkeys throwing crap at the wall plus misinformation. 

Edited by L Ron Burgundy

Just now, L Ron Burgundy said:

Nothing.  @Doc Brown summed it perfectly earlier in this thread.  Reps voted for it before then 1 sentence was amended that changed virtually nothing.

This is all games from the right (this time the left certainly plays their games too).

Another wonderful example of monkeys throwing crap at the wall plus misinformation. 

knew you couldn’t figure out how to read the bill or the CBO review- where the facts are… 😂 

Ron Burgundy - extremely apropos  

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

knew you couldn’t figure out how to read the bill or the CBO review- where the facts are… 😂 

Ron Burgundy - extremely apropos  

Well then mon frere please point it out.  Should be easy no?  Just a quick copy/paste.  

If I'm wrong- I will admit it.  It's easy (not around here but I suppose when your whole life is conspiracy maybe it's different).

26 minutes ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

Well then mon frere please point it out.  Should be easy no?  Just a quick copy/paste.  

If I'm wrong- I will admit it.  It's easy (not around here but I suppose when your whole life is conspiracy maybe it's different).

“Nonpartisan” CBO is linked to the bill page… have a look at the financial gymnastics… btw Cruz is part of the problem 

this table tells it all

https://www.cbo.gov/system/files/2022-06/hr3967_senate_version.pdf

look at the camp Lejune claims line… it less than 1% of the total money.

there are dollar for alternate use leases?

and 393 billon of additional mandatory spend but not defined how budget. 

I don’t really care what the Rs or Ds say, this looks like using the vets to steal a bunch of our money. 

2 hours ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

This is all games from the right (this time, the left certainly plays their games too).

What was the sentence before and after it changed?

1 hour ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

It went through.   Good stuff.   For all the bs we spend on this is actually something good.

Now I'd like to know why we were so dumb as to have these close to our troops in the first place but that's a question for another day.

Because the same idiots approving burning trash for soldiers to inhale are the same idiots driving legislation that idiots applaud. 

Like a typical moron… we can figure out why this actually happened later. Yep. 

surrounded by idiots… dumb slow clap

ooops, almost forgot… about 3 cents per dollar of this will actually benefit those impacted.., 

I really would support an IQ threshold test to screen voters. 

Not a fan of celebrities in politics but if they do get involved this is how you do it.  Expose the partisan bs when it comes to bills like these.  Bill passes 86-11 because of congressional shaming by Stewart.  Not one amendment to the bill passed in the House in July was made.  This delay and spin was always about not giving Biden a "victory."  

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell defended his party's handling of the legislation at a news conference on Tuesday.

"Look, these kind of back and forths happen all the time in the legislative process, you've observed that over the years," he said. "I think in the end, the veterans service organizations will be pleased with the final result."

FZMWMZbVQAI6LYC?format=jpg&name=medium

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Because the same idiots approving burning trash for soldiers to inhale are the same idiots driving legislation that idiots applaud. 

Like a typical moron… we can figure out why this actually happened later. Yep. 

surrounded by idiots… dumb slow clap

ooops, almost forgot… about 3 cents per dollar of this will actually benefit those impacted.., 

I really would support an IQ threshold test to screen voters. 

I dont think you're right about the money being spent but time will tell.  Military personnel made the decision on the pits but I get your point.