Jessica Pegula's progress in Wimbledon 2022

Fan in Chicago

5 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

She must be pretty good...........

So much for the little rich girl with a silly hobby argument. People should respect her for what she is: a world class athlete. Period. 

Congrats to her and the family for her success. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 6

28 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Unfortunately, she's got Iga Swiatek next, so it's probably the end of the line.

But IF she were to get thru Swiatek (YUGE IF), they are the only 2 of the top 15 seeded women left. I’ve been paying less attention than usual up to this point, and that surprised me. One match at a time, but that could be a huge opportunity. 

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Unfortunately, she's got Iga Swiatek next, so it's probably the end of the line.

I was pleasantly shocked to see Pegula seeded 11th.  She's really come a long way.  She'll need Swiatek to stumble in order to win, but you never know!

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Gugny said:

I was pleasantly shocked to see Pegula seeded 11th.  She's really come a long way.  She'll need Swiatek to stumble in order to win, but you never know!

Apparently with her success so far, her world ranking is now top ten.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 5/30/2022 at 5:40 PM, Dr. Who said:

Never know.  You gotta be in the match to have a shot at winning and while her opponent is a good player as well they both gotta play their best games to ensure possible victory.  I don't follow tennis much so I don't know if these 2 have played each other before.  If not just hope that Iga has some tendencies in her game that  Jessica can counter them to seal a victory.  Would be nice to have Jessica winning some grand slam titles and rocking Bills  gear when she's at her winners press conferences.  

8 hours ago, ALF said:

Wednesday singles match ,  today doubles

Jessica actually has 2 matches back to back tomorrow.  Her QF singles match at 7:15 am then after she wins she has to play her QF doubles match at 9:30 am.  Don't know what the normal length of time the singles matches last on average but she won't have much of a break between her matches so I hope her stamina is top notch.  Would be nice for her to win both singles and doubles at the French Open. 

I expect if her singles match gets to be a long back and forth battle and goes longer than expected they would adjust the doubles match start time.  It would be unfair to have to forfeit her doubles match if she doesn't finish her singles match before the doubles match is set to start. 

Anyone here follow tennis more closely to know how they deal with such schedule conflicts when they occur?

Edited by AuntieEm
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

Anyone here follow tennis more closely to know how they deal with such schedule conflicts when they occur?

I follow tennis but havent seen the rules of such schedule conflicts. My best guess is that Singles take precedence and they have a minimum time between matches for players. 

As for stamina, these top players practice for hours before their actual matches so it shouldnt be an issue with back to back matches. As long as JP gets time for a change, comfort break and nutrition+hydration, she should be fine to play back to back matches. Plus a doubles game doesnt sap the energy as much as a singles game.

On a related note, it was another fantastic match between Nadal and Djokovic today. I just am in awe of these guys who play so hard for 4+ hours and can still sprint about the court. 

4 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I follow tennis but havent seen the rules of such schedule conflicts. My best guess is that Singles take precedence and they have a minimum time between matches for players. 

As for stamina, these top players practice for hours before their actual matches so it shouldnt be an issue with back to back matches. As long as JP gets time for a change, comfort break and nutrition+hydration, she should be fine to play back to back matches. Plus a doubles game doesnt sap the energy as much as a singles game.

On a related note, it was another fantastic match between Nadal and Djokovic today. I just am in awe of these guys who play so hard for 4+ hours and can still sprint about the court. 

Yea I used to watch tennis grand slams back in the 80's  but I never really read up on the technical rules of the grand slam tourneys and how they are scheduled.  I just remembered some matches can go on awhile between evenly talented players so it was surprising to me to see the singles and dbles are scheduled so closely.  It's likely they just alter the schedule to be sure she has a little break between the matches.  Would be great if she won both singles and doubles at the French Open.  And then just continue at the rest of the grand slams.  Have her pick up several titles the same year the Bills get their first NFL title.  

12 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

Never know.  You gotta be in the match to have a shot at winning and while her opponent is a good player as well they both gotta play their best games to ensure possible victory.  I don't follow tennis much so I don't know if these 2 have played each other before.  If not just hope that Iga has some tendencies in her game that  Jessica can counter them to seal a victory.  Would be nice to have Jessica winning some grand slam titles and rocking Bills  gear when she's at her winners press conferences.  

Swiatek has won over 30 matches in a row. It's the longest win streak since 2000, so it's historically good. Of course, Pegula could surprise, but it will take an epic effort.

5 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

Have her pick up several titles the same year the Bills get their first NFL title.  

Winning the first would be fantastic. As with the Bills. 

The probability of those occuring in the near future is much higher than the Sabers lifting the Stanley 🙂

2 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Swiatek has won over 30 matches in a row. It's the longest win streak since 2000, so it's historically good. Of course, Pegula could surprise, but it will take an epic effort.

Swiatek is about to extend that streak.  She is pummeling Pegula, unfortunately.  6-3, 5-2 as I write this.

12 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Nice run.  Making it to the quarters of a major is pretty damn impressive.

I watched for a while. Then I tried not watching because I have the sports' fan superstition that the gods are perverse and go out of their way to thwart my affections. If I don't watch, they can't mess with the team or person I am rooting for . . . alas, Swiatek was just too good, but Jessica has definitely improved her game. Too bad, because the path was wide open after Swiatek.

• Like (+1) 2

Good for her! I had to google Jessica because other than knowing she was the kid of Terry and Kim that is all I knew. Coming from money means squat on the tennis court. Dads millions aren't helping her she has an athletic Gift.  Its a WNY girl we can all root for her INDEED.

To be at her level has taken a Lot of dedication and work. Again Good for her! Props Jessica you go girl!!  Making WNY proud.

m

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, muppy said:

Good for her! I had to google Jessica because other than knowing she was the kid of Terry and Kim that is all I knew. Coming from money means squat on the tennis court. Dads millions aren't helping her she has an athletic Gift.  Its a WNY girl we can all root for her INDEED.

To be at her level has taken a Lot of dedication and work. Again Good for her! Props Jessica you go girl!!  Making WNY proud.

m

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of top U.S. professional tennis players have come from money, which gives them access to the best coaching available.

I DO, however, totally agree that the talent has to be there and any pro player is athletically gifted.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Gugny said:

I'm pretty sure the vast majority of top U.S. professional tennis players have come from money, which gives them access to the best coaching available.

I DO, however, totally agree that the talent has to be there and any pro player is athletically gifted.

To add to this, I don't think tennis has actively recruited the top athletes to play in the sport. In other sports like football and basketball, the top athletes are recruited and actually paid by the best high schools and colleges. I often hear about an NFL player's rough upbringing, but then see that he went to a super rich prep school with the best football team in the state. It wasn't paid for by his parents, that's for sure. I could be wrong, but I don't think that occurs as much within tennis, so it tends to remain more accessible to the rich.

22 hours ago, muppy said:

m

Money does matter.  People without resources need to spend time doing other things whether it is just shopping even if they do not need to work a job.

Knew an athlete in college who was top of the game with leased new car every year, private dorm room, assistant to take notes in classes, private tutors, meals delivered to him and private trainers.

His father lost his job and then had to pay large amount of money cashing assets despite insurance.

Next year he lost all of the advantages and could not spend as much time training, etc. and his athletic performance plummeted. 

At one point he needed to sell his second hand car.  He still had the drive but not means of both going to college (pre law like his father) and athletics.

Money can make it a lot easier to be able to put in the dedication and work but either way you need to do it.  You also need good genes.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

Money does matter.  People without resources need to spend time doing other things whether it is just shopping even if they do not need to work a job.

Knew an athlete in college who was top of the game with leased new car every year, private dorm room, assistant to take notes in classes, private tutors, meals delivered to him and private trainers.

His father lost his job and then had to pay large amount of money cashing assets despite insurance.

Next year he lost all of the advantages and could not spend as much time training, etc. and his athletic performance plummeted. 

At one point he needed to sell his second hand car.  He still had the drive but not means of both going to college (pre law like his father) and athletics.

Money can make it a lot easier to be able to put in the dedication and work but either way you need to do it.  You also need good genes.  

yes. my original point was regarding her genes as well as the hard work required to achieve her level of success. Clearly money matters in regards to coaching and her access to the best money can offer. It is Both. I think she  having supportive parents helps kids achieve in life as well achieve top athlete status. Financially supported by wealthy folks didnt guarantee her success but it surely helped.

30 minutes ago, muppy said:

yes. my original point was regarding her genes as well as the hard work required to achieve her level of success. Clearly money matters in regards to coaching and her access to the best money can offer. It is Both. I think she  having supportive parents helps kids achieve in life as well achieve top athlete status. Financially supported by wealthy folks didnt guarantee her success but it surely helped.

I generally find spoiled rich kids do best in solo sports but not as well in team sports not that I think she is spoiled.

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I generally find spoiled rich kids do best in solo sports but not as well in team sports not that I think she is spoiled.

I think she is privileged  but Im not going to label her spoiled. I don't know her that well to judge that..

• Agree 1

Jessica Pegula had incredible success thus far at the French Open.  She made it to the quarter finals where she lost to #1 tennis player but in the Womens Double, her and Coco Guaf are in the finals.

This as far as Jessica has ever made in a major it and she is close to a top 10 in the world.

There was a thread a few years ago about Jessica, boy would I love to have that revisited.  So many gratuitous Jason Croom comments and many accused her of being a rich girl playing with her parents money on a lark.....a lot of class envy, misogyny and jealousy in the thread.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

...a lot of class envy, misogyny and jealousy in the thread.

Ok, I can agree with the other two, but you threw this out there just because she is a woman?  People do view tennis as a privileged sport of the rich. That does breed a lot of jealousy. However, bringing her sex into this has no bearing. If it was their son, those types of criticisms would be way harsher.

sorry, I’m not buying it. Who cares what sex she is.  Go back to your safe space. 

And, I hope she advances to #1 in the world. Would love to see it. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.