Mekhi Becton done as a Jet?

Captain Hindsight

I remember the hype around Mekhi his rookie year. They were talking about him like he was headed to perennial all-pro status.

...but according to Jets fans, Becton turned a 4-6 week injury into a season-ender last year because of poor rehab habits. He Ballooned to over +400 lbs after his injury. However, he managed to work himself back into shape in time for camp; which probably contributed to his current injury. I doubt he'll be ready for 2023.

I can see him getting cut and maybe re-dedicating himself for another team by 2024. I don't see him ever playing for Jets again.

Duane Brown is probably going to be the Jets new RT. He was done last year on the 'hawks; no better than a backup now.

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think this too.  He already had a reputation of not having the best work ethic and with another set back...I can see him ballooning up again.

He might get a nice Pay Per View check if they put him in a cage match with Dareus fighting over a single donut! 

The human body is just not meant to be that heavy. To expect him to still be athletic enough to play in the NFL is a tough ask. I was skeptical the first time I saw him, and I hope I’m wrong but….I’m afraid he may be done if he can’t find the discipline to keep his weight in check. Even if he can, he’s still a very big boy on compromised knees. I’ll root for the person and hope he finds a way. 

5 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Can't remember the guy, but about 2 years ago there was a guy getting fined for missing practice. His drs had confirmed an issue (maybe his back?) that was fairly obvious to the drs, and team drs had over ruled it basically saying take a shot and some opiates and get back out there, even though the team/private drs had a solid 3 week discrepancy.

I know I'm not totally doing the story justice, but it sounded redic at the time. Wouldn't shock me to see them hurrying someone again.

Why wait a few weeks to give a high 1st rider a chance to get long term healthy, when you need to rush him back for a 7-10 season at the expense of his long term health 🙄🙄

4 hours ago, uninja said:

You're thinking of Jets tackle Kelechi Osemele. It was a shoulder injury.

Yes, it was Osemele.  The big issues was that the Jets doctors showed him an old scan of his shoulder, which showed no injury because it had been taken prior. He got a second opinion and another scan, which showed the injury.  He was, understandably, very upset. Complete POS move by the Jest 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

He might get a nice Pay Per View check if they put him in a cage match with Dareus fighting over a single donut! 

The human body is just not meant to be that heavy. To expect him to still be athletic enough to play in the NFL is a tough ask. I was skeptical the first time I saw him, and I hope I’m wrong but….I’m afraid he may be done if he can’t find the discipline to keep his weight in check. Even if he can, he’s still a very big boy on compromised knees. I’ll root for the person and hope he finds a way. 

Dareus might have 7 seconds of fight in him.

7 hours ago, Augie said:

Yep, probably needs to lose 50lbs and he would probably have to focus heavy on mobility, flexibility, balance and coordination exercises. It’s a problem for an athlete, an elite athlete at that to not be able to squat or bend. I cannot think of an exercise more important than the squat.

6 hours ago, CLTbills said:

Jet fans are a different breed

From a Jets Board:

15 hours ago, Shelbyblue said:

I can’t see the Hamburgular (Becton) ever making through a whole NFL season. This is the second year in a row he won’t be playing, also his body type doesn’t fit this wide zone system and that’s why he will always get rolled up on. Time to get a pick for him and draft one next year that fits the system.

With Becton out, Joe Douglas' 2020 draft is truly horrific, especially considering he had two 3rds and three 4ths:

(1)  Becton (OL, 15 games in 3 years, finishing only 8 of them)

(2) Denzel Mims (WR, 8 receptions 133 yds last year, coaches complained about attitude and that he didn't know the routes -- supposedly better in camp this year)

(3) Ashtyn Davis (S, started 13 games last year out of necessity but basically not very good)

(3) Jabari Zuniga (DE, spend almost all of 2021 on PS)

(4) La' Michel Perrine (RB, 4 games, 8 carries, 31 yds last year)

(4) James Morgan (QB, released after one season with 0 NFL snaps)

(4) Cameron Clark (OL, retired due to injury concerns)

(5) Bryce Hall (CB, only good value in the draft -- but really should not be CB1)

(6) Braden Mann (P, 18th in avg net yard punting -- very inconsistent, not what you want when you draft a punter)

Edited by Billy Claude
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

With Becton out, Joe Douglas' 2020 draft is truly horrific, especially considering he had two 3rds and three 4ths:

(2) Denzel Mims (WR, 8 receptions 133 yds last year, coaches complained about attitude and that he didn't know the routes -- supposedly better in camp this year)

(3) Ashtyn Davis (S, started 13 games last year out of necessity but basically not very good)

(5) Bryce Hall (CB, only good value in the draft -- but really should not be CB1)

(6) Braden Mann (P, 18th in avg net yard punting -- very inconsistent, not what you want when you draft a punter)

This is as bad as the 2000 Bills draft.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

Yea it is an example of why immediate draft grades are not always a great idea because he got a lot of props for this haul at the time. I will give him this though... he did at least miss the right way... three of those first four guys - Becton, Mims and Zuniga were huge boom or bust swings. That it now looks like all three will bust probably suggests it was a swing or two too many but I will generally give a GM more leeway swinging and missing on high ceiling guys.

I liked Becton coming out (though not as much as Wirfs and Wills who were my top 2 tackles in that class) and I feel for him a bit because when he was healthy and on the field he was good but the injuries and the weight issues were always red flags. I never saw much middle ground there. He was going to be a perennial pro bowler or a bust. Mims I was much lower than the consensus on him and had him as a 3rd rounder (right there with the Bills own Gabe Davis fwiw). He was just such a limited route tree guy who basically only won by bullying inferior athletes in college and to me that is always a risky transition. Zuniga was a total wildcard. I think his failure was more predictable. As for Ashtyn Davis.... I think he actually shows promise in coverage. He is still improving. His issue is they used him more as the box safety (and he is crap in run support) because Marcus Maye who was their best player is a deep centre fielder. With Maye gone Davis might get a shot to play in his preferred position. I'm not saying he is a star but I think he can be a serviceable starter. 

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea it is an example of why immediate draft grades are not always a great idea because he got a lot of props for this haul at the time. I will give him this though... he did at least miss the right way... three of those first four guys - Becton, Mims and Zuniga were huge boom or bust swings. That it now looks like all three will bust probably suggests it was a swing or two too many but I will generally give a GM more leeway swinging and missing on high ceiling guys.

I liked Becton coming out (though not as much as Wirfs and Wills who were my top 2 tackles in that class) and I feel for him a bit because when he was healthy and on the field he was good but the injuries and the weight issues were always red flags. I never saw much middle ground there. He was going to be a perennial pro bowler or a bust. Mims I was much lower than the consensus on him and had him as a 3rd rounder (right there with the Bills own Gabe Davis fwiw). He was just such a limited route tree guy who basically only won by bullying inferior athletes in college and to me that is always a risky transition. Zuniga was a total wildcard. I think his failure was more predictable. As for Ashtyn Davis.... I think he actually shows promise in coverage. He is still improving. His issue is they used him more as the box safety (and he is crap in run support) because Marcus Maye who was their best player is a deep centre fielder. With Maye gone Davis might get a shot to play in his preferred position. I'm not saying he is a star but I think he can be a serviceable starter. 

Although I tend to agree - I would rather see a miss by a GM on a huge upside guy than just go after average guys - it is hard not to fault Douglas a bit for taking Becton over Wirfs even at the time.

I don’t think Wirfs becomes the players in NY he is now, but I think he was the better player and the safer pick.

Becton did not really fit what the Jets o-line was under Gase and he really did not fit the SF style o-line they have become.

I think Douglas has had a few smelly drafts - even given the huge number of picks he has had to work with, but to me they have a huge ton of potential and boy if they can get some of these guys coached up - esp QB - I think they could be tough going forward.  

For me - I am hoping they have a rough start and things fall apart quick - cause I want them moving on from the GM and coach and repeating the cycle. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Although I tend to agree - I would rather see a miss by a GM on a huge upside guy than just go after average guys - it is hard not to fault Douglas a bit for taking Becton over Wirfs even at the time.

I don’t think Wirfs becomes the players in NY he is now, but I think he was the better player and the safer pick.

True. I had Wirfs as OT1 and the #6 overall player in the class. That he ended up OT4 and lasting until pick 13 continues to mystify me. I had them Wifs and Wills as top 10 guys and then Thomas and Becton as later firsts. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yeah, PFF had the Jets draft rated as an A in their draft regrade after the first year.   Becton looked really good the first year but he had injury issues even then. However, everybody blamed Gase for playing Becton when he should have sat.  Mims also flashed after missing the first half of the rookie year.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.