What is The Weakest Position on The Bills Roster That Pick 25 Would Instantly Make the Team Stronger ?

T master

7 hours ago, Big Turk said:

CB. Right now it's Dane Jackson and who knows if Tre isn't ready to go.

Hard to justify a player that sits on the bench at 25 waiting for an injury when we have a starting CB spot open.

Yeah, I’ve never warmed up to the idea of J. Williams at 25.  He had only one great college season, then tore up his knee in the Championship game.  It would be like the Willis McGahee pick.

If you’re going for a Super Bowl, you don’t use that pick on somebody who may be out the whole season.

Edited by BobbyC81
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

No one has come out and said Tre is "ahead of schedule". You have an incredibly optimistic view on this. I HOPE he is ahead of schedule. But again, no one has said that. Just that he is "on schedule" -

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2022/3/2/22958602/tredavious-white-on-schedule-in-return-from-injury

As the article states, an ACL is a 9-12 month injury. He had his surgery on 12/14/21. 9 months would bring us to 9/14. And that is the soonest he can start PRACTICING. That doesn't mean the second those 9 months are up, they're just going to throw him on the field.

Also, 9 months is the soonest doctors recommend. Generally, they recommend an entire year. Studies have shown pushing recovery time puts an athlete at a much greater risk of a second ACL injury -

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/2325967120985636

Your prognosis of him doing work in Training Camp and starting Week 1 is incorrect. The best case scenario is we have somewhere around Week 4-6 Worst case scenario we are without him for the majority of the regular season.

As for Ike's Achilles - there has been advances in rehabilitation for Achilles that have shortened recovery time over the years. From an article about Ike found here - 

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2021/12/28/22855008/buffalo-bills-g-ike-boettgers-achilles-injury

It’s pointless to talk about when he’ll be ready to play at this point. Players have come back in 6 months and some take longer. 

What we aren’t talking about enough is after he returns. We can’t expect Tre to be the same immediately. He’s going to take some time to get back to what he was.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It’s pointless to talk about when he’ll be ready to play at this point. Players have come back in 6 months and some take longer. 

What we aren’t talking about enough is after he returns. We can’t expect Tre to be the same immediately. He’s going to take some time to get back to what he was.

IMO, even if Tre never had the injury/surgery and was ready to go, I'd still say CB is the team's biggest immediate need. I'd still want them to pick up a vet and draft a good prospect.  Not a knock on Dane or Lewis.  But the DB room needs to add talent.

• Agree 3

3 minutes ago, The Dean said:

IMO, even if Tre never had the injury/surgery and was ready to go, I'd still say CB is the team's biggest immediate need. I'd still want them to pick up a vet and draft a good prospect.  Not a knock on Dane or Lewis.  But the DB room needs to add talent.

We’ve been saying that for 4 years though. It is definitely time. Not just CB but safety.

57 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

We’ve been saying that for 4 years though. It is definitely time. Not just CB but safety.

I gotta give it up for Wallace. He really did perform well above the expectations of most. There was a lot of consternation (some warranted and much exaggerated) about how bad it would be if the Bills didn't replace him. He delivered at a level higher than his talent, IMO. I'd have been happy if they re-signed him (which takes us to the magical phrase)--for the right price. Yes, the defensive scheme makes it a bit easier on CB2 in this D. But c'mon. Some here still won't give the guy his due.

Now that Wallace is gone it's time. Maybe, Dane (or Lewis) will step up the way Wallace did, but I don't think they will just assume that. So, like I said, I think even if Tre was ready to go, CB2 is a bigger need than it has been.  Add Tre's injury it's at an entirely different level.  I'm not chicken little, like some here. Tre may be back, and close to 100%, for most/all of the season. Or he could miss some of the season and/or be somewhat less this season. We just can't know.

I think Tre's injury made CB a priority for McBeane.  I'd hope Wallace's departure reinforced the importance of addressing it.  That doesn't mean they have to make obviously flamboyant/desperate moves to prove it's an issue. My guess is it will be handled in Beane's typical way. 

Edited by The Dean
  • Like (+1) 2

I got a headache trying to read this post...and I' m still not convinced Bills should pick a RB at 25. I dont see the team running more this year; would you take passing attempts away from Allen,to run more ? He  had something like 7 carries per game so of you want him to run less,Singletary could easily take on a couple more carries per game. He only averaged 11 carries per game.

The OLine came around and Singletary was finally established as the starter and did well. Drafting a RB at 25 means benching Singletary and Moss...or,cutting/trading one? Can't assume they would have much trade value.

So not only would you have two young, decent backs sitting on the bench,you now would be drafting a lesser CB in the 2nd or 3rd than you would have picked at 25. Wasting RB depth and giving significant reps to a day 2 CB doesnt seem like the best value.

10 hours ago, SCBills said:

I wouldn’t say CB, because Tre will be back. 

Tre, Dane and Taron is a pretty solid trio and while someone like Booth (if available) might take it to another level, it seems the staff is high on Dane, and for good reason. 

Probably RB.  Not saying we should draft one at 25, but Breece Hall’s potential dwarfs anyone we have on the roster. 

And if tre is not back by Thanksgiving?

8 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Expecting to find a starting corner to start from day one other than the first round is a putting a whole hell of a lot of faith in your scouting staff to be perfect and the board to fall to you properly. They better be 100% sure in that case and that's a near impossible ask.

It seems to happen quite frequently around the NFL. 

12 hours ago, T master said:

What is The Weakest Position on The Bills Roster That Pick 25 Would Instantly Make the Team Stronger ?

This is two different questions.

What's the weakest position on the Bills roster and what pick would instantly make the team stronger.

They're two different questions and likely have two different answers.

The answer to the second one basically is BPA at a position of need.

The answer to the first IMO is probably second corner, but the scheme is built to allow a decent player there to have a lot of success.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

Yeah, I’ve never warmed up to the idea of J. Williams at 25.  He had only one great college season, then tore up his knee in the Championship game.  It would be like the Willis McGahee pick.

If you’re going for a Super Bowl, you don’t use that pick on somebody who may be out the whole season.

We're going for being competitive for a Super Bowl over the next 12 to 15 years. They've made that clear again and again and again. Every time they're asked about their goals that's what they say, consistently being competitive.

You don't say yes or no on a pick based on this year's needs. It does factor in, absolutely, but it's not the final say.

The McGahee pick was awful. But he was never the same guy. His injury was a ton worse and medical technology is a lot better now. IMO they should take Williams if he's there. But certainly it could end up being an awful decision. As could they all, really. But IMO the risk is low enough that if your doctors give you the OK you should very strongly consider it.

• Like (+1) 1

To all my "RB in the 1st" people: I would agree with you, IF AND ONLY IF Tre White wasn't dinged up and going to miss some time at the beginning of the season. Based on the playoffs, it looks like the staff believes in Dane Jackson, at least enough not to panic and pull some old street FA onto the team for last year's run.

I get that the RB room needs to improve, too; that's a fair judgement. Have any of you considered that RB performance is highly correlated with OL play? Have any of you considered that we ran a mish-mash of zone and gap last year, and didn't really start humming until we picked and stuck with one? Have any of you considered that we have Aaron "Beach Chair" Kromer back in the fold (ostentatiously, to defend our Buffalo beaches... I kid... I kid...), and that he's got a chance to re-make our OL, and help Dorsey design run fits and run play design?

I have to weigh the lack of a stud CB in a pass-happy, juiced up AFC, versus a sub-par RB room which has some mitigating factors (i.e. Line coaching, run design, line play style) which could vastly improve our run game. When I do, CB comes out on top. 

I don't hate RB's. I see greater need at CB, and greater room for improvement on OL (which... Surprise surprise... makes a BIG impact on the run game).

7 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

We're going for being competitive for a Super Bowl over the next 12 to 15 years. They've made that clear again and again and again. Every time they're asked about their goals that's what they say, consistently being competitive.

You don't say yes or no on a pick based on this year's needs. It does factor in, absolutely, but it's not the final say.

The McGahee pick was awful. But he was never the same guy. His injury was a ton worse and medical technology is a lot better now. IMO they should take Williams if he's there. But certainly it could end up being an awful decision. As could they all, really. But IMO the risk is low enough that if your doctors give you the OK you should very strongly consider it.

Agreed.  The draft needs to consider the future and should not be based on immediate need.  The BPA at a premium position of use is the best way to get future benefit of managing the cap. When you adhere to that line of thinking you don't take an RB in the first.

I would like to see a stud WR taken in the first.  If not available, I can see Booth.  Also, I could see Daxton Hill, because I like his versatility and future as a safety replacement.  In later rounds an RB, IOL, and punter.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.