AJ Bouye: Levi Wallace replacement

r henderson

The veteran cornerback market has been slow despite there being a need for help leaguewide. It's smart for vets to see how the draft plays out so they don't lose playing time to the new hotshot rookie. Guys like A.J. Bouye, Joe Haden and Kyle Fuller can still perform despite being unsigned at this point in the offseason.

The most versatile option of the aforementioned group is Bouye. Turning 31 in August, he has been effective in zone-based schemes throughout his career. He's also more than capable of holding his own in man assignments. 

Outside of a 2017 Pro Bowl season where he had six interceptions, Bouye isn't much of a turnover generator. He's a solid performer, though, and he impressed in a bounce-back season in Carolina last year. No one noticed as the Panthers were so bad, but his movement skills are still sharp. 

Like other aging veterans, durability is a bit of a concern. He's missed 16 games over the last two years and has only played a full season's worth of games once. He makes sense for contenders running a high volume of zone alignments that simply need a CB2 who can competently hold down one side of the field.

Best fits: Buffalo Bills, Philadelphia Eagles, Tennessee Titans, Washington Commanders, Arizona Cardinals

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, r henderson said:

Like other aging veterans, durability is a bit of a concern. He's missed 16 games over the last two years and has only played a full season's worth of games once.

He only started 7 games this past season and 7 games in 2020. He's considered injury prone, will be 31 when the season starts, and has only started a full season one time in his entire career. This is why he's still available. Bringing him on as depth alongside a top CB in Round 1 or 2 of the Draft is fine. But he's not a player you sign and count on as a full time starter, or replacement to Levi Wallace.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Well he is a former Panther. And played for John Butler in Houston. 

I prefer Kyle Fuller if we are talking vet players. 

You mean this Kyle Fuller? https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/10/22/after-high-profile-signing-broncos-have-benched-kyle-fuller/

Again, if we want to sign one of these guys as some extra help with Tre out to start the season and as depth alongside a 1st or 2nd Round CB - that's fine. 

But I can't wrap my head around fans (not you specifically bc idk if you're of this mind or not) that are advocating not prioritizing CB in Free Agency by signing one of these leftovers late and also not prioritizing drafting one higher than Round 3.

Especially with how last season ended and with Tre returning from an ACL injury, where we don't know if he'll be the same guy this year and most likely won't start the season.

29 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

You mean this Kyle Fuller? https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/10/22/after-high-profile-signing-broncos-have-benched-kyle-fuller/

Again, if we want to sign one of these guys as some extra help with Tre out to start the season and as depth alongside a 1st or 2nd Round CB - that's fine. 

But I can't wrap my head around fans (not you specifically bc idk if you're of this mind or not) that are advocating not prioritizing CB in Free Agency by signing one of these leftovers late and also not prioritizing drafting one higher than Round 3.

Especially with how last season ended and with Tre returning from an ACL injury, where we don't know if he'll be the same guy this year and most likely won't start the season.

I want to use a first on a corner.

When it comes to vets, Haden to me is soft, and Bouye should be a safety. Fuller, idk, the situation in Denver seems weird, but I tend to blame Fangio. 

• Like (+1) 2

Nothing is happening until after, or during, the draft at this point is my guess for signing anyone already in the league. 

Just makes more sense to focus on next week and then figure out what's left in FA.

-armchair GM

Edited by The Wiz
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

We had the number 1 pass defense in the league even after Tre went out while having Dane and Levi as our starters.  We got beat by a cheat code in Hill and a terrible coaching decision.  Some of us realize that we don’t have to have 5 potential pro bowlers in the secondary.  Our safety’s each make 10M- Tre makes 17M- we have the 2nd highest paid slot corner in the league.  We’ve invested plenty on D.  While our franchises best players ever has Spencer Brown, ryan Bates and Rodger Saffold pass blocking for him.  But Cb2…..we need to invest all of our best assets into the D….not our franchises best player ever. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

Haden is finished.

Fuller would be nice, but I don't know where we'll get the money.

If Bouye could stay healthy, he'd be quite good. His recent injuries might make him affordable on a 1 year deal. IF he can stay healthy.

The right side of our OL is really bad. Saffold is an average pass protector. I don't understand why some people don't understand that. Josh Allen under pressure is much worse than Josh Allen in a clean pocket. According to One Bills Live, his passing efficiency rating was 30 points higher in a clean pocket. That was the biggest difference among starting QB's last year. Granted, Quesenberry is better than either Bates or Brown, but he's still just a typical backup OL. If we don't address this effectively it will cost us dearly as in 2-4 wins less. I'm going to hope the Bills make a bold move in this draft to address CB and RG with 2 worthy day 1 starters.

Edited by GreggTX
  • Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

We had the number 1 pass defense in the league even after Tre went out while having Dane and Levi as our starters.  We got beat by a cheat code in Hill and a terrible coaching decision.  Some of us realize that we don’t have to have 5 potential pro bowlers in the secondary.  Our safety’s each make 10M- Tre makes 17M- we have the 2nd highest paid slot corner in the league.  We’ve invested plenty on D.  While our franchises best players ever has Spencer Brown, ryan Bates and Rodger Saffold pass blocking for him.  But Cb2…..we need to invest all of our best assets into the D….not our franchises best player ever. 

We were able to maintain things well when we played the Patriots twice, the Jets, the Panthers, and the Falcons down that stretch. We played two teams of substance with Levi and Dane at CB. The Buccaneers, who passed for 363 yards on our Secondary and the Chiefs who passed for 378 yards. 

We no longer have Levi Wallace. Tre White is coming off an ACL, unlikely to start the season, and not a guarantee to return to form immediately when he does. We're looking at starting the season with Dane Jackson (a guy with a 58.5 PFF score who was expected to be CB2, but couldn't beat out Levi in Training Camp) and Cam Lewis as our Starters. We have a gaping hole at a Starting position (two to start the season). We need to have better production from our CB's than we had last season if we want to beat contenders. 

The Offensive Line has been addressed with people brought in to be Starters. If you think we signed Pro Bowl Guard Rodger Saffold to 6.25 million to backup, you're kidding yourself. Likewise if you think we would have matched a 4 year 17 million dollar (9 million guaranteed) deal to start in Chicago, just to put him on the bench here, you're kidding yourself. We wouldn't have matched it and just signed a cheaper reserve if that were the plan.

We've signed or retained six Offensive Lineman this offseason, as well as upgrading the coaching in Kromer. I'm sorry you disagree with the players that were brought in. But the Starting Offensive Line is set this season.

You want to get some more depth and development for next season on Day 2 or 3, that's fine. But it's absolutely ridiculous to replace guys who don't need replacing and just throw scraps at a position that is a massive red flag right now. If the well is dry at CB when we pick at 25 and a Lineman is on the board that is sticking out like a sore thumb (and I'm not talking a Zion Johnson or a Kenyon Green), then maybe. Otherwise, no way.

AJ Bouye is a player I wouldn't mind having on the Bills.  I think it is interesting to speculate on the dynamics at play in the cornerback market.  Are cornerbacks waiting because they want to sign with teams that will give them playing time with less worthy young competition, or are teams holding back because they think it's a buyer's market and they can get a better deal by waiting until after the draft?  We'll have to wait and see which it is.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.