AJ Bouye: Levi Wallace replacement

r henderson

I actually like Jackson quite a bit. Have thought with added experience he would soon be a better player than Levi. I’m anti bringing in aging vet. We seem to have brought in a guy a couple times the past few years that the consensus was they were washed. And guess what? They were washed.  I think this staff does a great job getting the most out of secondary guys. But in my opinion that coaching seems to be more effective on young guys who are more eager and willing to be coached than older vets. Just go with Jackson and draft a guy in the first 4 rounds. 

Edited by Floydboy12

20 hours ago, NewEra said:

We had the number 1 pass defense in the league even after Tre went out while having Dane and Levi as our starters.  We got beat by a cheat code in Hill and a terrible coaching decision.  Some of us realize that we don’t have to have 5 potential pro bowlers in the secondary.  Our safety’s each make 10M- Tre makes 17M- we have the 2nd highest paid slot corner in the league.  We’ve invested plenty on D.  While our franchises best players ever has Spencer Brown, ryan Bates and Rodger Saffold pass blocking for him.  But Cb2…..we need to invest all of our best assets into the D….not our franchises best player ever. 

We are aligned, to a point.

This year’s AFC is STACKED with great QBs.  The Bills cannot afford to lose a few winnable games early while Tre White is out or re-acclimating himself. unless you win your division, 11 wins might not guarantee a playoff spot.  Now, if the Bills think that they can survive the first half season with Tre out/knocking off thenrust by playing Jackson and ???, go ahead and take a “developmental” CB in round 3 or later.

I don’t disrespect different opinions, but I believe that rolling into the first month or more with Dane Jackson (when did fans get so comfortable with him?) and either Cam Lewis or some over-the-hill cheap vet has the potential to leave the Bills on the outside looking in for the playoffs.

39 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

We are aligned, to a point.

This year’s AFC is STACKED with great QBs.  The Bills cannot afford to lose a few winnable games early while Tre White is out or re-acclimating himself. unless you win your division, 11 wins might not guarantee a playoff spot.  Now, if the Bills think that they can survive the first half season with Tre out/knocking off thenrust by playing Jackson and ???, go ahead and take a “developmental” CB in round 3 or later.

I don’t disrespect different opinions, but I believe that rolling into the first month or more with Dane Jackson (when did fans get so comfortable with him?) and either Cam Lewis or some over-the-hill cheap vet has the potential to leave the Bills on the outside looking in for the playoffs.

I think we’ll be fine with Dane + a vet + a 2nd-3rd rd pick. If they take a cb in round one, I just hope that it’s Booth or Hill.  Gordon or McDuffie….I’m ok with but not enamored with. 

I’ve never been against a corner….I just think we need more elite playmakers and really like some of our options @ 25.  @ 57 we’ll be stuck with midgets (Austin or Robinson) or average joes like Metchie or tolbert.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, NewEra said:

I think we’ll be fine with Dane + a vet + a 2nd-3rd rd pick. If they take a cb in round one, I just hope that it’s Booth or Hill.  Gordon or McDuffie….I’m ok with but not enamored with. 

I’ve never been against a corner….I just think we need more elite playmakers and really like some of our options @ 25.  @ 57 we’ll be stuck with midgets (Austin or Robinson) or average joes like Metchie or tolbert.  

The same goes for Corner's and I honestly believe the drop off in who you can get at Corner between Round 1 or Round 2 is worse than WR.

My hope is that Alec Pierce is available at 57.

8 hours ago, Floydboy12 said:

I actually like Jackson quite a bit. Have thought with added experience he would soon be a better player than Levi. I’m anti bringing in aging vet. We seem to have brought in a guy a couple times the past few years that the consensus was they were washed. And guess what? They were washed.  I think this staff does a great job getting the most out of secondary guys. But in my opinion that coaching seems to be more effective on young guys who are more eager and willing to be coached than older vets. Just go with Jackson and draft a guy in the first 4 rounds. 

The reason to sign a low-priced veteran is that you have one more layer of safety net.

On 4/23/2022 at 12:15 AM, NewEra said:

We had the number 1 pass defense in the league even after Tre went out while having Dane and Levi as our starters.  We got beat by a cheat code in Hill and a terrible coaching decision.  Some of us realize that we don’t have to have 5 potential pro bowlers in the secondary.  Our safety’s each make 10M- Tre makes 17M- we have the 2nd highest paid slot corner in the league.  We’ve invested plenty on D.  While our franchises best players ever has Spencer Brown, ryan Bates and Rodger Saffold pass blocking for him.  But Cb2…..we need to invest all of our best assets into the D….not our franchises best player ever. 

Very well said however drafting OL is simply not sexy enough for the average Bills fan.  Any fat guy will do for the OL.  You can find them at Duff's Anchor Bar or even Gabriel's Gate.

36 minutes ago, HIT BY SPIKES said:

Very well said however drafting OL is simply not sexy enough for the average Bills fan.  Any fat guy will do for the OL.  You can find them at Duff's Anchor Bar or even Gabriel's Gate.

Thanks for the tell.

It's always good for everyone to look in the mirror and be honest with themselves.

Welcome to the community.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Floydboy12 said:

What if they try it a little differently this time and bring in a younger CB that has to get over the injury prone label? 

There are ones out there like Buoye/K King/Callahan - that have been good CBs but haven't played through full seasons.  After the  draft I hope the FO acts quickly with their thought out price points and grabs one.  

7 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

The same goes for Corner's and I honestly believe the drop off in who you can get at Corner between Round 1 or Round 2 is worse than WR.

My hope is that Alec Pierce is available at 57.

I disagree.  This is a great group of corners being pegged to go rd 2-4 imo. 

Most of the WRs that were initially projected to fall to 57 (Pickens, Watson, Pierce, Moore) are now projected to go before 57 in most drafts that I see.  The WR market has changed.  Who are the guys left if those guys aren’t there?  Austin, midget;  Robinson, midget;  Metchie- does nothing really well;  Bell- slow;  Shakir- lacks physical characteristics we tend go after.  Maybe tolbert?  But tolbert is 💩 name.  

of those guys, I’d go Austin or Shakir…. But they aren’t even locks to be there.  

I think the group of Emerson, Taylor, woolen, McCollum, jobe, Evans, Bryant, kendrick, Taylor Britt, Castro fields, armour Davis, josh Williams and Waller are all capable players in rd 2-3.  There are some ballers there.  

I’m not saying that it’s the only route to go, I’m all in on Booth @ 25 but I don’t think he’s there.  I think taking a guy like McDuffie (because of his length), Gordon, elam in rd 1 are similar to taking Dotson, Pickens, Watson in rd one.  

9 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

What if they try it a little differently this time and bring in a younger CB that has to get over the injury prone label? 

There are ones out there like Buoye/K King/Callahan - that have been good CBs but haven't played through full seasons.  After the  draft I hope the FO acts quickly with their thought out price points and grabs one.  

I would be ok with King. He’s been in the organization right? And I’m not sure there’s as much wear on the tires with him as Bouye. But for the most part I’m good with Jackson and a solid rookie till White returns. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.