Bills restructure Ryan Bates contract

YoloinOhio

59 minutes ago, Airseven said:

This is all pretty standard GM stuff. Beane isn't doing anything special other than manipulating the cap which is a job requirement these days. NFL salary cap is merely a suggestion. 

Yep, and a QBs job is just to throw the ball.  Some are clearly better at their jobs than others though.  

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am not sure I think you should be able to. IMO if you match an RFA deal to keep a guy then for that season at least you should not be able to touch the contract. So in Bates's case the Bills should be prevented from restructuring until the opening of the 2023 league year otherwise it is tough for a team really to lure away an RFA. 

I don't think it's that big a deal, he doesn't have to if he doesn't want to. If the Bills cut him if he doesn't he's still getting paid his guarantee, the Bills take on a bigger cap than they would have, and Bates can go get signed somewhere else.

1 hour ago, Airseven said:

This is all pretty standard GM stuff. Beane isn't doing anything special other than manipulating the cap which is a job requirement these days. NFL salary cap is merely a suggestion. 

Oh yeah, you’re gonna work out well here.. I can tell!

• Haha (+1) 4

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

You do have a point.  We’re all happy that Bates is back, but for an RFA who’s trying to get the best contract it’s definitely a deterrent to other teams getting involved if the matching team can restructure the contract immediately.  

Exactly. It worked out for the Bills here, but if we were the Bears we'd be pissed. And I am not sure in principle it should work this way. 

55 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I don't think it's that big a deal, he doesn't have to if he doesn't want to. If the Bills cut him if he doesn't he's still getting paid his guarantee, the Bills take on a bigger cap than they would have, and Bates can go get signed somewhere else.

But it might prevent teams from trying to lure away RFAs if they think it is impossible to ever structure the deal in a way the original club can't match and then simply restructure. Which in the long run works against RFAs getting paid. 

2 hours ago, Airseven said:

ahem.  This take is so uninformed for me it borders on myopic. His leadership and business saavy coupled with his abilities to assemble the team we have now and maintain the roster like he has......standard GM stuff Riiight. Not buying it.

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Billsbuff said:

Browns fans think Denzel Ward could be on the move.  In the final year of his contract and they can't pay him for a new deal.  Might cost a 1st or 2nd (much more likely the 2nd).

The Bills already have one high priced corner. They don’t need Ward and could not/should not pay him or give up a rookie deal to take him on. 

• Agree 2

10 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The Bills already have one high priced corner. They don’t need Ward and could not/should not pay him or give up a rookie deal to take him on. 

Again, I agree.  But Ward is an UFA next season and the Browns might try and move him for cheap (pick wise).  Odds are he stays on the Browns and the contract runs out, but he would be an interesting rental to a contender that needs a corner.

Ryan Poles handling of that offer sheet was really poor.........very disappointed in the Canandaigua guy.    

Not that he'd be the first bad GM with WNY ties........there are and have been a bunch of em'...........but was hoping he'd do well in the NFC.

Thought he would take a player from a team that needed him by putting $250K aav on top of an otherwise Bills friendly deal?

As I said before..........very reminiscent of Marv Levy doing the same as GM years ago..........fake hustle........there are reasons you don't see many GM's do that............it's bad form........plenty of UFA's out there.........if you want a RFA that bad then go for it..........don't dick around and run up prices.    That's amateur hour.

2 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I really don't understand the whole cap thing very much, what's the difference when salaries are converted into bonuses? I know it reduces the cap, but why does it make any difference? 

Bonus is then allocated over the life of the contract lowering the hit in the current year.

Edited by SWATeam
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They already have plenty for that. There is no need to push more money into the future unless they’re adding someone.

So I am curious. How do they account for things like performance incentives that are earned at the end of a given season. I assume that those count towards the cap, so do you have to hold the cap space at the beginning of the season, or do you have to make room at the end if you don't have the space available?

(p.s. I'm asking you because you seem to be on top of the cap dynamics, so thanks)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.