Stafford signs a monster contract - 4 yr $160MM extension - is this why they could not meet Von Miller contract #’s?

BuffaloBill

30 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

4 year $160MM extension

Perhaps the reason why the Rams couldn’t hang on to Miller.

It sounded like the money LAR offered was close to Buffalo, probably not as much, but likely not enough to influence a veteran like Miller who’s made big money already.  

I think he wanted to play in Buffalo and if the money was close he was going to play here over LA

Edited by JohnNord

Miller played for the Rams in the year the Rams went all-in.  The happy year is now over and the Rams will lose too many players to be able to keep the good times going.  

Rather than stick around and help bail as the ship sinks, ending his career on a struggling franchise, Miller came over to a ship that is making a big push this year but which hasn't mortgaged its future.  All along, Beane has been building what he hopes is a dynasty, with the Bills ranging from pretty good in their off years, to dominant in their good years.  Beane doesn't want a roller coaster.  He wants a battleship.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Utah John said:

Miller played for the Rams in the year the Rams went all-in.  The happy year is now over and the Rams will lose too many players to be able to keep the good times going.  

Rather than stick around and help bail as the ship sinks, ending his career on a struggling franchise, Miller came over to a ship that is making a big push this year but which hasn't mortgaged its future.  All along, Beane has been building what he hopes is a dynasty, with the Bills ranging from pretty good in their off years, to dominant in their good years.  Beane doesn't want a roller coaster.  He wants a battleship.

Rams will be just fine in the weak NFC 

40 minutes ago, GolfandBills said:

Rams will be just fine in the weak NFC 

Someone in the NFC will get things sorted and will become a strong team.  The Rams won't be able to compete.  They're going to slide into mediocrity and irrelevance. 

Maybe having a Lombardi is worth a decade of disappointment.  Ask the Eagles fans.  The Eagles and Rams would probably be happy to endure a decade of struggles for a single Lombardi.  I think the Rams will fade just as quickly as the Eagles did, particularly when Donald hangs them up.  But it would be better to stay at or near the top for a decade like the Seahawks did.

Edited by Utah John
  • Eyeroll 1

8 hours ago, Utah John said:

Maybe having a Lombardi is worth a decade of disappointment.  Ask the Eagles fans.  The Eagles and Rams would probably be happy to endure a decade of struggles for a single Lombardi.  I think the Rams will fade just as quickly as the Eagles did, particularly when Donald hangs them up.  But it would be better to stay at or near the top for a decade like the Seahawks did.

We went through two decades with no playoffs.  Dynasties are rare.

9 hours ago, Utah John said:

Someone in the NFC will get things sorted and will become a strong team.  The Rams won't be able to compete.  They're going to slide into mediocrity and irrelevance. 

The Rams have already been at or near the top for half a decade. The attempts to paint them as a 1 year all in fluke of some kind is just ill informed. 

They have 5 consecutive winning seasons, 4 of those years in the playoffs and 2 of those years in the Superbowl. They are not that far off that Seattle run (9 consecutive winning seasons) and already tied them with Superbowl wins and appearances. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

4 year $160MM extension

Perhaps the reason why the Rams couldn’t hang on to Miller.

Stafford has always been good.   

$40 mill good is debatable 

however this is the going rate for QBs

Edited by SlimShady'sSpaceForce
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Steptide said:

He is. Stafford is getting older and as good as Stafford was this season, he made some really bone headed plays at times. 

As do all players.  Lol I can't understand why so many fans go so ballistic and really denigrate players after a bad play as if they should always be perfect.  In any facet of life and enterprise the true winners are always those who respond to the failures with renewed effort and move on from mistakes hopefully with better awareness for avoiding the bad in future.

4 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

As do all players.  Lol I can't understand why so many fans go so ballistic and really denigrate players after a bad play as if they should always be perfect.  In any facet of life and enterprise the true winners are always those who respond to the failures with renewed effort and move on from mistakes hopefully with better awareness for avoiding the bad in future.

I personally am not saying Stafford is washed. Someone mentioned they thought Allen was better, and I agreed. Stafford just won a superbowl, obviously he's a great qb, but he had some really bad games this past season. Think it was Arizona he threw like 4 terrible picks, on top of some other games with some terrible playing. 

Stafford and Burrow had two of the more underwhelming playoff runs for supposed “elite QBs”.    

The Stafford/Kupp drive was impressive, and I give him credit for gutting out a SB win with Higbee out and Beckham going down. 

160M over 4 years puts him close to Allen/Mahomes territory, and that he is not. 

Edited by SCBills

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.