Ryan "Rick" Bates Watch Thread

YoloinOhio

32 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Yeah that is definitely a very high number when you factor the market for guards and the fact that Bates has only started in a few games. There was competition, but not alot. I think The Bears just fell in love with him and he has connections in the team. But he is very young with upside and it isn't a big risk for the Bears when they have a QB on the rookie contract. But 6.5 puts him in the top 20 of guard salaries. 4.5 to 5 is fair, but it is going to be an overpay. 

If it's $6.5M, it certainly would make sense to quickly get offers out to those they feel are better, that are in the same area pricewise.  For instance, $7-8M for a year or two of Trai Turner and draft a round 1-3 IOL is something you would think the FO is now mulling over.  Need a decision quick though.

1 minute ago, Einstein's Dog said:

If it's $6.5M, it certainly would make sense to quickly get offers out to those they feel are better, that are in the same area pricewise.  For instance, $7-8M for a year or two of Trai Turner and draft a round 1-3 IOL is something you would think the FO is now mulling over.  Need a decision quick though.

See I think they can get Turner for way less than that. Turner signed with Pitt for 1 year 3 million and had a meh year.

For the Bears it is a steep overpay at 6.5 if that is indeed the number. Again I really like Bates, but that is approaching top 15-20 money. If the Bears were going to do that they should have just kept James Daniels at 8.75 per. Daniels is younger with way more experience and pedigree. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

See I think they can get Turner for way less than that. Turner signed with Pitt for 1 year 3 million and had a meh year.

For the Bears it is a steep overpay at 6.5 if that is indeed the number. Again I really like Bates, but that is approaching top 15-20 money. If the Bears were going to do that they should have just kept James Daniels at 8.75 per. Daniels is younger with way more experience and pedigree. 

Good point.  But seems strange they might be able to get Trai for the same money as Bates.  I think the $6.5 figure is a large overstatement, neither are worth that.  The Bills either didn't think Bates was worth $4M, or thought no one else would think that.  Anyway, $4M seems a lot for Bates.

The Ike signing could be the cheaper backup they want to go along with the slightly more expensive vet.  You pay more a little more for the experienced vet than Bates.  Most FA signings are not deals.  Pay a vet OL $4-5M, get another small upgrade, fill a hole prior to the draft.  Still draft one in the first 4 rounds as a succession plan.

Isn't Trai considered the best of the remaining FA guards?

2 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

If Bates signs with Chicago, I wouldn’t be terribly surprised to see the team re-sign Daryl Williams.

We just re-signed Boettger. Pretty sure that means Bates is gone. 

• Eyeroll 1

19 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Most scenarios seem to conclude that we will be waiting until the last day to decide.

One unfortunate problem is that there don't seem to be many good veteran choices that would be an upgrade.  The poster I responded to was mentioning Chris Reed, who is not an upgrade.  So turning down Bates even at an uncomfortable price would leave us with a hole to fill.  

IMO, getting Turner would be an upgrade.  And the front office would want to know if they could get him at a price they have in mind before deciding on Bates.  That would be the time constraint.

How is Reed not an upgrade? Bates rated as a 64.3 from PFF and has started 4 games of 41 NFL games. By contrast Reed rated 67.2 and started 29 of 61 NFL games. Sure Reed is older and might not be as position flexible but he has shown to be just what Bates is, a serviceable backup and potential starter in this league. 

On 3/26/2022 at 7:44 PM, MrEpsYtown said:

I hear you. But I would have cut Feliciano before the season started. He has done nothing here besides cost us young players with upside. 

I would have started the season Dawkins-Boettger-Morse-Bates-Williams. Brown obviously took Williams job. But that was the combination I liked goin in. Probably flip Bates and Boettger. I would have kept Anderson, Doyle, Brown as the backups. I also would have kept Forrest Lamp for his upside, he was hurt all training camp. I really liked the three athletic young guys in Brown, Anderson, Doyle. My analysis of Feliciano is that he should have been gone two years ago. 

Yep. Yep. Yep.