Ryan "Rick" Bates Watch Thread

YoloinOhio

lol a poison pill contract to a guy who has started what 5 games in his career? I doubt it. Just means we'll bank the 2.4 million back and sign another guard if he decides to leave. He's a decent player but lets not Ryan Groy this and he's out of the league in 3 more years. 

• Disagree 2

9 minutes ago, Yobogoya! said:

I have to imagine the Vikings could structure a deal such that the Bills couldn't match it, just like we did when we signed Charles Clay. 

Not that I expect him to command anything exorbitant, but it can definitely be structured in a way that's too pesky for the Bills to "match." 

But, how are compensated if he signs?

Bills have set up contracts so they can convert salary to signing bonuses when needed to get more cap space.

That was a big part of how they structured Allen's contract.

4 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Yea I'm not sure if Bates is a Kroemer guy he may have just benefitted some from a different style of play/coaching.  

Bates has shown he is very versatile and learns new schemes very quickly.

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Well this would suck, but it's probably a safe bet this team is drafting at least one interior oline in the draft anyway within the first 3 rounds.

Like Ford?

If you have a good starter on the oline, keep him. Don't roll the dice.

13 minutes ago, gonzo1105 said:

lol a poison pill contract to a guy who has started what 5 games in his career? I doubt it. Just means we'll bank the 2.4 million back and sign another guard if he decides to leave. He's a decent player but lets not Ryan Groy this and he's out of the league in 3 more years. 

Not a big poison pill. A little one.

2 minutes ago, Motor26 said:

I mean is he a good starter? He’s only started 5 games, and on the left side between Dawkins and Morse. 

Yes, he is. He has shown flashes his entire time here. Every time he has filled in for someone he has done a good job. Then, when he had the chance to start he did very well.

He's a solid starter at least.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

I'd be happy to keep him if possible. If not I'm fully confident it won't be very difficult to replace 

We've had a revolving door at both guard positions for years now. I think it is more difficult to find competent online play than you think.