Ryan "Rick" Bates Watch Thread

YoloinOhio

4 hours ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

This is a big deal. Need to keep Bates or we end up w/ a huge hole on the O-line. We've let a lot of guys walk this off-season. (Only guys I think we've resigned McKenzie, Neal, Kumerow). Needed to go w/ the higher tender. 

Agreed.  It’s def a big deal.  He walks and we have to spend more that 2.5-3.5M to replace him or use a 1st or 2nd rd pick.  

• Agree 1

Just saw the news that the Pats are talking to Bates.  I’d be shocked if we are able to retain him.  If he leaves, drafting OL needs to shoot up the priority list imo.  Protect out franchise 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Agreed.  It’s def a big deal.  He walks and we have to spend more that 2.5-3.5M to replace him or use a 1st or 2nd rd pick.  

As a long term plan, we'd best use at least one high draft pick on a G and maybe a lower pick as well, in any event.  Rodger Saffold on a 1 year contract is not a long-term plan.

Bates may be a longer term plan, but he's started all of 6 games in his NFL career, we just changed OL coach, and we're about to ask him to switch sides to RG.  That's not a lot of data to go on whether he's the next Wyatt Teller we've been heartlessly burying on the depth chart for years.

12 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Too small of a sample size to really know his value. Draft a Guard please.

This

11 hours ago, Georgie said:

With the addition Safford do we assume Bates moves to RG or does Ford get another shot? I would miss Bates' versatility 

That may be part of the basis for why the lower tender; perhaps the Bills know he doesn't play as well on the R or something?

I thought Bates played well, but it's a mystery then why he started the season #3 on the depth chart at LG.  I'm not one of the "oh noes, the coaches are idiots and keep the good players on the bench for no reason while starting the bad ones" conspiracy theorists.

10 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

If we lose Bates, guard become the team's #1 need heading into the draft. Ford has played terribly and Saffold is an older player on a one-year deal.

I would like to argue that OG, along with CB, are the team's top needs heading into the draft whether or not we keep Bates.

1 hour ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

All the D signings have been great, but isn’t protecting 17 kinda…I don’t know, important to this team’s success?

Doesn’t need to be Bates. Rick did ok filling in last year but he’s a backup level guy. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I would like to argue that OG, along with CB, are the team's top needs heading into the draft whether or not we keep Bates.

I agree with you but would add WR.  Bills could use another young cheap WR.

14 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I predicted this in the Shaq Mason thread.  It’s a vintage BB move - weaken a competitor while upgrading his own roster.

*Josh Allen’s 7th TD pass of the day zips past*

BB: “hey at least we got one of their depth guards to replace our pro bowl guard! This is the best RFA move I’ve made with the Bills since i traded a 5th to pay Mike Gillislee so they could draft Matt Milano” 

• Haha (+1) 4

3 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

All the D signings have been great, but isn’t protecting 17 kinda…I don’t know, important to this team’s success?

The D signings have been necessary to replace leaving players and upgrading the two primary weaknesses last year: the lack of a top level pass rusher and the run defense.

Beane and McDermott both stated that the line will be a priority and I could be wrong, but I don't think adding Saffold was all they had in mind. They still have the remainder of free agency, the draft, potential trades, and post Jun 1 cuts.

We'll see.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

The D signings have been necessary to replace leaving players and upgrading the two primary weaknesses last year: the lack of a top level pass rusher and the run defense.

Beane and McDermott both stated that the line will be a priority and I could be wrong, but I don't think adding Saffold was all they had in mind. They still have the remainder of free agency, the draft, potential trades, and post Jun 1 cuts.

We'll see.

This is a fair enough point.

The trouble is, that the actions, to an extent, aren't matching the words in respect of the O-Line.

For sure, Saffold is an upgrade at Guard, but they have let Feliciano and Williams go, while also possibly letting Bates slip through their fingers.

Should Bates get prised away, not only will we need more Guard help, which is probably coming through the draft, but also, we have no backup center, if memory serves me correctly.

People seem to be getting a bit salty about the whole thing, but remember, the Bills obviously did want to keep Bates, otherwise they wouldn't have tendered him at all. They also traded for him in the first place, swapping a LBer for him.

14 minutes ago, Buddo said:

The trouble is, that the actions, to an extent, aren't matching the words in respect of the O-Line.

For sure, Saffold is an upgrade at Guard, but they have let Feliciano and Williams go, while also possibly letting Bates slip through their fingers.

Should Bates get prised away, not only will we need more Guard help, which is probably coming through the draft, but also, we have no backup center, if memory serves me correctly.

People seem to be getting a bit salty about the whole thing, but remember, the Bills obviously did want to keep Bates, otherwise they wouldn't have tendered him at all. They also traded for him in the first place, swapping a LBer for him.

I think they have an interest in hanging on to him at the right price to them per his value, since they tendered him. The fact they traded a throwaway defender no one remembers the name of, who they were likely going to cut, for bates years ago was based on a different OL and scheme so I don’t put much meaning on that.

As it pertains to moving on from Feliciano (who vocally said he want to play Center) and Williams (who was on a OT contract playing Guard) - once again this was expected as the intention is very likely to do a bit of an overhaul to the OL, vs maintain last year’s group, because of the change in OL coach.

How Bates’ value factors into Kromer’s plan isn’t something we have access to other than seeing the $ they allot to him. What their plan at OL looks like will unfold, as it is 2 days into the new league year.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Buddo said:

Im still under the assumption that we tendered him simply because he’s fantastic depth with his ability to play all over.  I don’t think Kromer views him as the starting RG in 2022. 

Maybe Beane loses him and we find out that they just misplayed their hand.  However, with a new OL coach, and how we immediately cut Williams/signed Saffold,  it just doesn’t seem like Bates was much of a priority.  

Given Rounds 1 & 2 look like CB/WR locks at the moment, I will acquiesce that having Ford penciled in as a starter currently, with only one viable backup in a young guy Doyle is nerve wracking for sure. 

I just keep going back to the 3.5M they seem to have allotted for a playmaker.   Offered to McKissic, then immediately given to Howard… If we are cap strapped and they wanted Bates, they had the $$ for him… didn’t give it to him with the 2nd Round tender. 

Edited by SCBills

Just now, Buddo said:

I certainly do see your point and I am one that believes the real key to potential championships for this team is putting the best line they can in front of Allen and surrounding him with good skill players. With that said, they let Feliciano and Williams go because they just are not very athletic and do not fit what Kromer likes to do. As far as Bates, the level at which they tendered him tells you what his value is to them: he is a depth player for which they are only willing to pay so much. 

They said after the season that the Oline was going to be a priority and I would like to believe they will follow through on that to the best of their ability. It is the beginning of the just the 3rd day of free agency, so, we will see.