Breaking: Von Miller to bills, 6 year , 120 million

BillsMafi$

7 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I gotta admit, the locker room leadership stuff does excite me.

Showing my age... I remember when we signed Phil Villipiano - when he was past his prime - to help build a winning culture.

I think it’s a very real and underrated part of this signing.

Adding a two time Super Bowl champion, first ballot Hall of Famer who is famously generous about teaching younger pass rushers the tools of the trade to this locker room…it’s gonna do wonders for our young trio of edge guys. I also think he’ll help Oliver tremendously, as he apparently did with Aaron Donald.

And that’s all just from a teaching standpoint. There’s also the effect that Miller being on the field will have in freeing up the Olivers and Rousseaus of the world. 

I think Miller’s impact on the defense overall will be similar to the impact Diggs had on the offense. Big steps forward.

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

So essentially 7.5m/per season more than Hughes made last season. If you think he’s that much more a difference maker, yeah ok. Still digesting this. 

Jerry Hughes ranked 118th in DE run PFF grade. Miller was 2nd. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Logic said:

I was curious about the level of production of elite pass rushers at age 33 and beyond, so I went and looked at the stats of Bruce Smith and Reggie White.

At ages 33-37, Bruce had 13.5, 14, 10, 7, and 10 sacks.

At age 33-37, Reggie White had 8, 12, 8.5, 11, and 16 sacks.

You may say “but Logic, those are two Hall of Famers, of course they still produced!”. To which I would say that Von Miller will be a first ballot Hall of Famer, too, and that was why I looked at those two guys. I wanted to see how some elite, HOF edge rushers produced as they aged.

I’m not saying Miller is going to be as productive as those guys, but it is not out of the realm of possibility, either.

After reading this the 2 names that immediately came to mind for me when i thought of mercenary pass rushers that did it forever were Doleman and Greene. Looked them up. Sure enough they're also perfect examples of instant pass rush for any team they went to late in their careers....

Chris Doleman ages 33-38... 7, 9, 11, 12, 15, 8.... for 3 different squads

Kevin Greene ages 33-37... 9, 14, 10, 15, 12... 4 different stints.

There might be other examples beyond that but those were the first 2 that immediately came to my mind. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

bro... it was the first time in over 15 years a team took the lead with 13 seconds or less and lost that game. and i'd bet LARGE money that mahomes never pulls something like that off again... so stop it. you're wrong.

you could even blame it on horrible situational football from our coaches. but the bills ROSTER was superbowl caliber and showed it. 

Of course the Bills are SB Caliber.  I’m sorry the D never should give up that many yards in less than 13 seconds..  I mean I was ticked when the Pats D gave up a FG with 30 seconds left and 2 time outs to dallas.  It just shouldn’t happen.. 

14 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Of course the Bills are SB Caliber.  I’m sorry the D never should give up that many yards in less than 13 seconds..  I mean I was ticked when the Pats D gave up a FG with 30 seconds left and 2 time outs to dallas.  It just shouldn’t happen.. 

The Pats also gave up more yards in roughly the same amount of time to KC in the AFCCG a few years ago. The only difference was that they won the OT coin toss.

10 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

You are correct, never should have....but they did what coaches told them and everything else is history. Not much you can do then, I guess one of the D players possibly could have spoke up maybe and questioned the play calls? 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

Showing my age... I remember when we signed Phil Villipiano - when he was past his prime - to help build a winning culture.

And Isaiah Robertson!  I loved both those guys.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Which "Big Time/ Big name" F/A signing is bigger or more exciting, Von Miller or Mario Williams? Or are they about the same pretty much?

IMO its Miller just due to the implications and expectations that come with it because of where this team is at as opposed to where we were when williams came aboard.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

IMO its Miller just due to the implications and expectations that come with it because of where this team is at as opposed to where we were when williams came aboard.

I agree, considering the position this team is in kinda makes it more important.

12 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Which "Big Time/ Big name" F/A signing is bigger or more exciting, Von Miller or Mario Williams? Or are they about the same pretty much?

This is the roster that Williams joined - and keep in mind, we hadn't yet drafted four of those starters (Glenn, Graham, Bradham and Gilmore).

He wasn't the final piece to a playoff team, let alone a Super Bowl favorite.

The lead-up was completely different, too:  we were all sitting here for days pressing F5 to see if Williams had signed, because the doofuses in charge were so public about their courtship of him.  And we were thirsty just to have one "big name" on the roster.  None of us had any idea that we were in on Miller, and if anyone says they did, they're lying.

Look at that roster again.  What a difference ten years makes.

Edited by BRH
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I don't think you can discount leadership. A game is often won by the slimmest of margins. Leadership, team building, and believing in yourself and your teammates is essential. This is where coach McD seems to excell. The xs and os not so much. Miller certainly will bring a winning attitude and belief into the locker room and on the field. I just hope it's enough to vault the Bills to the top!

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, BRH said:

This is the roster that Williams joined - and keep in mind, we hadn't yet drafted four of those starters (Glenn, Graham, Bradham and Gilmore).

He wasn't the final piece to a playoff team, let alone a Super Bowl favorite.

The lead-up was completely different, too:  we were all sitting here for days pressing F5 to see if Williams had signed.  None of us had any idea that we were in on Miller, and if anyone says they did, they're lying.

Yeah I'm aware of all that and agree...I think the M. Williams signing gave fans a feeling of hope after there was none for so long possibly made it a little bit bigger than maybe it should have been. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.