Amari Cooper traded to Browns

BillsMafi$

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Landry is the better value and fit in the Browns offense. This is just so nuts that they are doing this. 

Some might call it “nuts”, while others just call it “the Browns”. This is part of their standard playbook. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

The Browns have to see if Baker worth keeping long term. So do what the Bills did with Allen and put better WR talent around him. That said the Browns also paying their RB quite a bit. 

Interesting that OBJ was very productive when moving to a team with a real QB. Not sure Cooper qualifies as better.  The lack of WR talent excuse continues to work for Lamar but it should be about dead with Baker.  He is just mediocre.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

But they also have Austin Hooper on a crazy contract. 

Yeah, for 1 more year.  And once the FA TE's start signing, I bet it's not quite as "crazy" then.  But Cleveland runs 2 TE sets more than any team in the league.

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Landry is the better value and fit in the Browns offense. This is just so nuts that they are doing this. 

Dude, they gave up a 5th, and have no baggage on the contract.  They could literally cut him the day after the league year and be out $0.  Dallas absorbs all the guaranteed money.  And Landry is allowed to seek a trade, but they were also discussing him being back at a reduced salary.  I love Landry, but he isn't worth $15 million a year.  Plus, he is 100% a possession receiver.  Cooper isn't.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Yeah, for 1 more year.  And once the FA TE's start signing, I bet it's not quite as "crazy" then.  But Cleveland runs 2 TE sets more than any team in the league.

…and had the 4th best rushing offense in the league. Coincidence? 

Somewhat surprisingly, the Bills were only 2 spots behind at 6th. Too much of that was Josh for my taste. Great weapon, but let’s not get him killed! 

The Browns problem was being 27th in passing, while the Bills were 7th.  I love our balance! 

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/rushing-yards-per-game

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/passing-yards-per-game

17 minutes ago, Augie said:

…and had the 4th best rushing offense in the league. Coincidence? 

Somewhat surprisingly, the Bills were only 2 spots behind at 6th. Too much of that was Josh for my taste. Great weapon, but let’s not get him killed! 

The Browns problem was being 27th in passing, while the Bills were 7th.  I love our balance! 

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/rushing-yards-per-game

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/passing-yards-per-game

The balance we had the last 1/3 of the season.   We couldn’t run on anyone the majority of the year.  Our rushing rank jumped almost 10 spots over that span.  Too bad Josh’s legs were so heavily involved.  I’d only like his legs to be that heavily involved in the playoffs or vs the best of teams.  Not vs Atlanta @ home in December.  

26 minutes ago, cle23 said:

Cleveland signing hooper was similar to the Bills signing clay.  Overpaying for a marginal player because no other free agent wanted to play there.  

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Interesting that, at the time, Gruden and his Raider friends were considered dumb by some for trading away both Mack & Cooper.  The teams that got them gave them huge contracts, went nowhere with them, and now both get traded for mediocre returns.

Now, they seem like the Sammy Watkins trade for Buffalo.  Get rid of a high priced guy who isn’t helping you win before he asks for a bigger new contract.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

Browns every offseason focus on bringing in Receiver after Receiver , yet it always just seems to me that it becomes more evident they need to move on from Baker. 

How do you know? He played with a bad shoulder most of last year. So far he has shown that he is capable of getting that team to the playoffs and he played the Chiefs better than Allen did in 2020. 

Allen is the far superior QB. Browns have some really good pieces on defense, the OL, and at RB. They are making decent decisions.  Don't extend Mayfield and make him play outhis 5th year.  If he plays well they can tag him like Dallas did with Dak. If he doesn't then they can let him walk.

20 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

Interesting that, at the time, Gruden and his Raider friends were considered dumb by some for trading away both Mack & Cooper.  The teams that got them gave them huge contracts, went nowhere with them, and now both get traded for mediocre returns.

Now, they seem like the Sammy Watkins trade for Buffalo.  Get rid of a high priced guy who isn’t helping you win before he asks for a bigger new contract.

Bears made the playoffs and if not for a terrible kicker would have won their playoff game. Dallas made the playoffs too.

Raiders drafted an average RB and a bust DT, and made the playoffs. 

Seems like a wash to me.

6 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

How do you know? He played with a bad shoulder most of last year. So far he has shown that he is capable of getting that team to the playoffs and he played the Chiefs better than Allen did in 2020. 

Allen is the far superior QB. Browns have some really good pieces on defense, the OL, and at RB. They are making decent decisions.  Don't extend Mayfield and make him play outhis 5th year.  If he plays well they can tag him like Dallas did with Dak. If he doesn't then they can let him walk.

Bears made the playoffs and if not for a terrible kicker would have won their playoff game. Dallas made the playoffs too.

Raiders drafted an average RB and a bust DT, and made the playoffs. 

Seems like a wash to me.

Yes, but you make trades for players like Mack & Cooper to accomplish more than making the playoffs.

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Cooper is a total merc

It doesnt matter to him where he goes as long as he gets paid

and I dont want to hear how the browns are gonna be great this next year again ad nausium..........come on man

He's been traded twice and signed one extension to be with the team that traded for him. 

Can you explain your post for those of us that don't get it?

5 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

Yes, but you make trades for players like Mack & Cooper to accomplish more than making the playoffs.

Bills made a trade for Diggs and made the playoffs. What is the difference? 

Bears misjudged Trubisky getting better and Dallas choked in the playoffs with a terrible HC.

6 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

He's been traded twice and signed one extension to be with the team that traded for him. 

Can you explain your post for those of us that don't get it?

Bills made a trade for Diggs and made the playoffs. What is the difference? 

Bears misjudged Trubisky getting better and Dallas choked in the playoffs with a terrible HC.

Are you trying to compare Diggs and Cooper?

Look at how much Diggs is making

Look at how much Cooper is making

Diggs is actually a leader on our team and has shown that.....Cooper ***** about lack of targets every time he gets

24 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Are you trying to compare Diggs and Cooper?

Look at how much Diggs is making

Look at how much Cooper is making

Diggs is actually a leader on our team and has shown that.....Cooper ***** about lack of targets every time he gets

Diggs did the exact same thing in Minnesota though.  Complained about his QB. Was disgruntled.  

• Agree 1

47 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I agree the only move maybe barring the Browns making a play for  Watson is to make him play it out. It will be interesting to watch him play into the off-season.  How Baker perceives his value as to what the Browns perceive? 

At the same time he has had a lot of talent surrounding him in his early career. He had Odell and Landry, could you imagine  if we had Chubb in our backfield? 

Also Josh is clearly lifting up others around him. Guys are gravitating to him not turning away. We should also never stop giving Josh as many weapons as we can either.

The AFC is loaded with the some of the Best Young Quarterbacks.. it must feel like an uphill battle if your a team searching for one. 

Edited by loveorhatembillsfan4life

1 hour ago, cle23 said:

Dude, they gave up a 5th, and have no baggage on the contract.  They could literally cut him the day after the league year and be out $0.  Dallas absorbs all the guaranteed money.  And Landry is allowed to seek a trade, but they were also discussing him being back at a reduced salary.  I love Landry, but he isn't worth $15 million a year.  Plus, he is 100% a possession receiver.  Cooper isn't.

i hear you. But they aren’t trading for him and then cutting him. In a few days, the browns are on the hook for $20M this year for Cooper as a base salary. Who would sign Cooper to a 1-year $20M salary? To me, the value isn’t there. Re-structure Landry, and draft a guy— that is a much wiser use of your money, IMO. 

3 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

i hear you. But they aren’t trading for him and then cutting him. In a few days, the browns are on the hook for $20M this year for Cooper as a base salary. Who would sign Cooper to a 1-year $20M salary? To me, the value isn’t there. Re-structure Landry, and draft a guy— that is a much wiser use of your money, IMO. 

I’ve always like Landry. Do you think he would be a good fit for the Bills? 

Edited by loveorhatembillsfan4life
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.