Seahawks going after Deshaun Watson

YoloinOhio

15 hours ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Never thought QB was the issue holding the Seahawks back. More the bonehead head coach who made this call:

new england patriots nfl GIF

The Seahawks FO built a SB team but never figured out how to sustain it when they had to pay an elite QB.   For whatever reason, they figured that Wilson was so good he didn't need protection (ie, OL) and nor a lot of weapons, and they sank too many resources into the defense like the Jamal Adams trade.  They seem to be clueless about how to manage the salary cap.

Russell Wilson is my second favorite QB behind guess who.  I'm glad he's escaped the hot mess that the Seahawks have become.  I have and will continue to always root for Russ except when he plays the Bills.

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

The Seahawks FO built a SB team but never figured out how to sustain it when they had to pay an elite QB.   For whatever reason, they figured that Wilson was so good he didn't need protection (ie, OL) and nor a lot of weapons, and they sank too many resources into the defense like the Jamal Adams trade.  They seem to be clueless about how to manage the salary cap.

Russell Wilson is my second favorite QB behind guess who.  I'm glad he's escaped the hot mess that the Seahawks have become.  I have and will continue to always root for Russ except when he plays the Bills.

They have drafted appallingly since about 2016. It starts and ends there. Their success was built on brilliant drafting. Their decline is the result of rubbish drafting (and as you say that crazy Jamal Adams trade). 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, SCBills said:

From a talent/age perspective... Watson >>> Russ

If this happens, good.. Finally get a good QB over to the NFC to compete with cakewalk Rodgers.

Although, we saw Kyler look incompetent at times without Hopkins.  In the one year post-Hopkins in Houston, Watson didn't exactly look very good - He put up most of his numbers in garbage time. 

You have got to be kidding with that non-sense.  4800+ yards, 33 TD and 7 INT, 112 rating and 70% completion.  Guy had a career year without Hopkins in virtually every category and did it with next to nothing talent wise.  Yes they were constantly throwing because they were behind a lot, but the guy balled out.  Get real.

20 hours ago, Lv-Bills said:

What does a team's record have to do with what kind of a year Deshaun Watson had?  If anything, it makes an even better point about what a great year Watson had in spite of the crap that surrounded him.  Kind of like Joe Thomas or Calvin Johnson.  And it certainly didn't all mostly come in garbage time, which was an absurd comment that provoked my response in the first place.

The Texans were 4-12 with Watson, who killed it in 2020.  He also had them more than competitive in at least 12 of 16 games.  He, as in his own performance, was outstanding, and that is well documented by many sports people.  Some of which said it may have been his greatest season in his young career considering who the Texans surrounded him with.

Below is just one of several articles that realize how good this QB is, and was in 2020.  This isn't even questionable.

Top 10 players on losing teams - Watson #1

Those are opinions, non quantifiable.  I live in Houston and saw the games. DeSahaun was not great enough to overcome his bad team, just like Tyrod and Davis Mills were last year, and both teams ended up with the same record.   I also live in the real world and know he lead his team to a 4 win season.   You are what your record says you are.

• Disagree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Those are opinions, non quantifiable.  I live in Houston and saw the games. DeSahaun was not great enough to overcome his bad team, just like Tyrod and Davis Mills were last year, and both teams ended up with the same record.   I also live in the real world and know he lead his team to a 4 win season.   You are what your record says you are.

Some of those losses were ridiculous like comical failings on teammates around him though right at the end if the game. Falling over when about to catch touchdown passes, botched snaps when on the half yard line... it was pretty ridiculous. Watson was excellent that year. 

But all of it is moot if the grand jury indicts. That delays any hope of him playing for at least 1 more year (while that process plays out) then likely another year while any NFL discipline is applied.

2 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I'm sure there are people in Buffalo who don't think Josh Allen is a great QB, either.   People are entitled to their opinions.  When the Texans had a competitive team around him, Watson played well enough to go head to head with Mahomes (2019), and he was better than Allen at that point.   In 2020, Watson was the only reason that the Texans were even competitive after Bill O'Brien sent most of their best players elsewhere.   I like Tyrod Taylor, but neither he nor Davis Mills are in the same universe, talent-wise, as DeShaun Watson.

You can dislike Watson for his off-field behavior but don't denigrate his on-field talent because of it.   Talent in some endeavor and morality/decency/honesty/etc in private life are not related.  Some of our greatest heroes, in sports and in other spheres, were disgusting human beings outside of the spotlight.

BTW, people used to say that Matthew Stafford couldn't win "the big game" ... until he had the opportunity to play for a good team.  I don't care whether you're talking Brady or Rodgers or Mahomes or Allen, every QB needs support from his team.   Watson didn't have that in 2020 in Houston.  I can't seem him getting that in Seattle, either, unless the Seahawks clean out the FO and coaching staff.   Pete Carroll needs to retire IMO.

• Agree 1

On 3/9/2022 at 8:34 AM, YoloinOhio said:

Could still end up in Pittsburgh but does seem to be nfc - bound - Carolina, commanders, eagles or Seahags

Of that list, only the SeaSnakes have the cap right now to take on Watson's $35M and not blink

Eagles and Stillers are $10M off  at $27-$28M, with the Panthers just after them

Commanders would need $25M over their current $10M

What about the other Ponies (Colts)?

Carolina

20 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Of that list, only the SeaSnakes have the cap right now to take on Watson's $35M and not blink

Eagles and Stillers are $10M off  at $27-$28M, with the Panthers just after them

Commanders would need $25M over their current $10M

What about the other Ponies (Colts)?

Carolina

I can't see Houston trading in division. Seahawks (if they are interested) or Carolina in the NFC. If it is AFC it is Miami. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I can't see Houston trading in division. Seahawks (if they are interested) or Carolina in the NFC. If it is AFC it is Miami. 

Don't forget Detroit as a sleeper. They do have extra picks because of Stafford trade and you'd think Philly might want to improve the QB position too.

3 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Don't forget Detroit as a sleeper. They do have extra picks because of Stafford trade and you'd think Philly might want to improve the QB position too.

Watson won't go to Detroit.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

He has a no trade clause though. Can't see him waiving it for Detroit. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.