As FA is about to begin and the cuts start happening, what's your idea plan for us?

Virgil

Coming off a season where we had the #1 defense and scoring points wasn't a reason for us losing to the Chiefs, I'm curious to know what everyone's ideal plan for these next few weeks and draft are, that you believe will get us over the hump.  I have more of a general idea, but can't get into the cap stuff as who knows what will happen.

Offense:

QB - I'm good

RB - I'm good (Motor earned the right to be the guy)

WR - Diggs (New Deal, even though the Mike Williams contract scares me) Davis (let him be our number 2) Beasley/Sanders (Gone), Slot/Speed (Draft or FA) #4 (combination of current remaining players

TE - I'm good (Hell no to Gronk)

O-Line - Morse (Re-Work deal, 3 years), Dawkins, Bates, Williams, Ford (Good).  Mongo can go

D-Line - Reduce the rotation and sleep in the bed we made with all our recent picks.  DT (Oliver, Re-sign Phillips, Draft).  DE (Groot, Basham, AJ, FA DE).  I don't want to see more than 8 active D-Lineman on gamedays.  We just can't keep dumping into this position.  People need to step up.  Add two performers in FA or Draft, but anything else is mid-tier/Post June 1st)

LB - Milano (Good)  Dodson (I'm good for as little as he'll see the field in our nickel set).  Edmunds (Please do not extend.  I hope to MLB is a top 3 pick that can actually make play behind the line of scrimmage)

DB - Tre is not back until November and Wallace is FA.  Wallace (Re-sign if below 10 mil).  Jackson and Johnson (Good).  Draft DB in first 2 rounds.

S - Good

K - Good

P - FA or Draft (Cut Haack

Overall FA:

DE (Find the money for a known difference maker)

DB (#2 quality at best)

WR #3

OLB (Hybrid that can play inside or out)

Draft:

DB (1st three rounds)

DT (1st three rounds)

WR (1st three rounds

Rounds 4-7 (Punter, OLB, IOL, RB)

Edited by Virgil
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, recovery96 said:

I'm on board with drafting a punter early, in fact, draft the best guy in the class. 

You are still talking 6th round at best for something like this.

I'm sure finding a new punter is in play but it will probably just be another FA and this is at the bottom of the list in terms of priorities IMO.

2 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

You are still talking 6th round at best for something like this.

I'm sure finding a new punter is in play but it will probably just be another FA and this is at the bottom of the list in terms of priorities IMO.

There’s a guy booming 70 yard punts that die at the one yard line. I could see him going in the 4th.  Not sure if he can hold for kicks though 

• Like (+1) 1

Sign a vet, difference making DE (hard to find in the draft). Chandler Jones would be nice. 

Draft a CB and WR early. Easier to find in rounds 1-3 and we need youth and speed at the position. 

That's the important stuff. 

Rest of our needs can easily be filled between fa and draft (RB, TE, IOL, DT, P, QB)

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Coming off a season where we had the #1 defense and scoring points wasn't a reason for us losing to the Chiefs, I'm curious to know what everyone's ideal plan for these next few weeks and draft are, that you believe will get us over the hump.  I have more of a general idea, but can't get into the cap stuff as who knows what will happen.

Offense:

QB - I'm good

RB - I'm good (Motor earned the right to be the guy)

WR - Diggs (New Deal, even though the Mike Williams contract scares me) Davis (let him be our number 2) Beasley/Sanders (Gone), Slot/Speed (Draft or FA) #4 (combination of current remaining players

TE - I'm good (Hell no to Gronk)

O-Line - Morse (Re-Work deal, 3 years), Glenn, Bates, Williams, Ford (Good).  Mongo can go

D-Line - Reduce the rotation and sleep in the bed we made with all our recent picks.  DT (Oliver, Re-sign Phillips, Draft).  DE (Groot, Basham, AJ, FA DE).  I don't want to see more than 8 active D-Lineman on gamedays.  We just can't keep dumping into this position.  People need to step up.  Add two performers in FA or Draft, but anything else is mid-tier/Post June 1st)

LB - Milano (Good)  Dodson (I'm good for as little as he'll see the field in our nickel set).  Edmunds (Please do not extend.  I hope to MLB is a top 3 pick that can actually make play behind the line of scrimmage)

DB - Tre is not back until November and Wallace is FA.  Wallace (Re-sign if below 10 mil).  Jackson and Johnson (Good).  Draft DB in first 2 rounds.

S - Good

K - Good

P - FA or Draft (Cut Haack

Overall FA:

DE (Find the money for a known difference maker)

DB (#2 quality at best)

WR #3

OLB (Hybrid that can play inside or out)

Draft:

DB (1st three rounds)

DT (1st three rounds)

WR (1st three rounds

Rounds 4-7 (Punter, OLB, IOL, RB)

The only thing I would say is I re work that Williams (OL) deal.......he is not a OT anymore he is a guard and needs to be making guard money.....we can free up cap space here.

CB and WR are our top needs 

These are crucial positions for our team and we need to address them both in free agency and the draft. We need to identify players who are willing to give us a discount to win a ring. We'll also probably need to resign Diggs to gain cap room. 

TE, DL, and OG are also in need of upgrades, but they might need to wait until the mid rounds of the draft.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

This thread looks like something someone would start in November when they have no idea who the players involved might be..........we are a week from FA and the combine is over..........wtf :lol:

Fair.  I just trust the process and don’t know that I care who the names are.  There’s multiple guys at each position that could fill the void 

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

We need RBs.  Singletary is on the final year of his contract & we need his successors.  

Then we can just grab a RB next year.  

Most plug n play position in the NFL.  No need to prioritize getting a guy to sit behind and/or supplant Singletary.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.