Bills FA rumors thread

YoloinOhio

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't actually.  Beane said up front last season that we would not be big players in FA.  He's usually a pretty straight shooter.

And we did sign Sanders for $6M

You don’t remember the JJ Watt rumors?  Clowney?  Sammy Watkins’ return?

Also Beane has basically already said the same thing about this year’s free agency.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

2 hours ago, TPS said:

It's possible he re-thinks this position given "notable" players are expressing interest in the Bills, assuming they'll take a slight discount to join the super bowl contender.

Oh indeed.  This off-season Beane said something to the effect that we wouldn't be big spenders but we would have more to work with than last season.

Of course, it all depends upon players who are currently under contract being "on board" with signing extensions.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

If they make it a 1 year, 18 million it would work. Or 2 years 36 but the bulk of his guarantees are in year 1, year 2 has opt-out clause 

For me you make it a one year, 18 million deal but with a dummy second year to spread the hit out. So something like:

$9m fully guaranteed signing bonus (amortized over 2 years)

$9m fully guaranteed 2018 salary

The second year automatically voids on the final day of the 2022 league year

That would give you a cap hit of $13.5m in 2021 and $4.5m dead money on next year's cap. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The JJ Watt rumors?

Also Beane has basically already said the same thing about this year’s free agency.

Beane can't control rumors.  He can (and should) do due diligence on every FA, but just because he "shows interest" by reaching out to see what a player wants then shrugging and moving on when there's not a match, doesn't mean the Bills are in a serious negotiation with every FA

And no, what I heard him say was different.

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Beane can't control rumors.  He can (and should) do due diligence on every FA, but just because he "shows interest" by reaching out to see what a player wants then shrugging and moving on when there's not a match, doesn't mean the Bills are in a serious negotiation with every FA

My point is that despite all the rumors and hype, the Bills sat out free agency and trades last year after basically announcing that they’d be doing so.  I expect more of the same this year.

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

Of course money is always a factor

Unfortunately for a lot of players these days, it's the only factor.  Don't know Chandler personally, so can't say if this is HIS mindset, but I think the vast majority of players know their time in the league is very limited, so grab every last dollar you can before the ride ends.

16 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I am all for signing Engram to pair with Knox, would be a really challenging duo for defenses to cover

I think if the Bills sign a free agent tight end it will be someone who can block. That rules Engram out. 

10 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

My point is that despite all the rumors and hype, the Bills sat out free agency and trades last year after basically announcing that they’d be doing so.  I expect more of the same this year.

They did make an offer for Watt though. It was just that they didn't offer as much as 'Zona. 

15 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

It depends how much 12 personnel they run, and if they see Engram as a potential slot WR, but from where I am standing the guy is a suspect blocker, doesnt have great hands, and has missed 20% of his games.   I am all for the Bills taking a flyer on the guy, but I wouldnt spend more than 2 million to bring the guy in.   I hope someone overpays so we dont have to find out, but no way I am paying my backup tight end more than Knox.

"suspect blocker" might be the kindest thing anyone has ever said about him. He is goddam awful. He is another guy who is only a tight end in name. He is a big slot and as you say he has had drops issues. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

If I were him I would choose the Bills over the Broncos. That division is brutal. The Bills play in a division with Moe, Larry, and Curly. Buffalo has the easier path to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl then the Broncos do. Of course money is always a factor so the Bills offer has to be in line with what others are offering.

Plus I don’t know if he harbors any pettiness for the pats/bellicheat but he may like to face that a couple times 

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think if the Bills sign a free agent tight end it will be someone who can block. That rules Engram out. 

They did make an offer for Watt though. It was just that they didn't offer as much as 'Zona. 

"suspect blocker" might be the kindest thing anyone has ever said about him. He is goddam awful. He is another guy who is only a tight end in name. He is a big slot and as you say he has had drops issues. 

I feel the same.  We need a TE2 that has the ability to block.  That said…..it seems like there’s a good chance we lose Cole this offseason and will need a slot.  Maybe Isaiah returns, but I have a feeling that he’s going to return.  Maybe the thought is to play Engram in the slot.  He’d be the best run blocking slot WR in the league and a mismatch for many nickels.

whatcha think about him as our slot WR that can be moved all over…..while he’s healthy?

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

I feel the same.  We need a TE2 that has the ability to block.  That said…..it seems like there’s a good chance we lose Cole this offseason and will need a slot.  Maybe Isaiah returns, but I have a feeling that he’s going to return.  Maybe the thought is to play Engram in the slot.  He’d be the best run blocking slot WR in the league and a mismatch for many nickels.

whatcha think about him as our slot WR that can be moved all over…..while he’s healthy?

That's how I see Engram- a slot replacement.   We would still add another TE, IMO

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

That's a better question for Ken Dorsey than for me haha. What I mean by that is he can't do the quick separation find the zone and sit in it for Josh's guaranteed underneath completion the way they have used Cole Beasley. He can't run those overs from the slot that they did with Isaiah against the Patriots 2nd time around either. But if you are going to attack down the seam more then Engram can certainly do some damage as a big slot in that role. Essentially, yes I can see the thinking but it would be a change of approach on offense. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Personally,  I don't trust Engram to be anything more than an enigma.    He'd instantly become the Edmunds of the offense.    I was so glad the Bills dodged that bullet in the draft........hard to get excited about paying him for potential years later.

But I suppose if they swung Edmunds and #25 to Seattle for DK Metcalf and #40 as @MrEpsYtown  has suggested........why not if Engram is cheap.........then it would be just one enigma and you'd have quite the Ole Miss re-union with Knox, Engram and DK. 

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Gambit said:

While I'm down for signing Jones because he's been better than what we've had for years. But are people over hyping the guy? He had 10.5 sacks last year with 5 of them coming in 1 game.

They are if they think they are getting 2019 Chandler Jones. He isn't at his peak by any means. But he would be a huge upgrade on this line. 

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Personally,  I don't trust Engram to be anything more than an enigma.    He'd instantly become the Edmunds of the offense.    I was so glad the Bills dodged that bullet in the draft........hard to get excited about paying him for potential years later.

But I suppose if they swung Edmunds and #25 to Seattle for DK Metcalf and #40 as @MrEpsYtown  has suggested........why not if Engram is cheap.........then it would be just one enigma and you'd have quite the Ole Miss re-union with Knox, Engram and DK. 

Does Treadwell still underachieve at football or did he finally retire?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.