Jim Harbaugh expected to take Dolphins job over Minnesota. (Update) Mike McDaniel now is the possible front runner for Miami

BuffaloBills1998

12 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

We play outdoors in Buffalo so yes, we will have plenty more games in poor weather.  We got comically outcoached that game. 

We can't play in Buffalo and blame the weather, brother.

Saying we need to "fix" the #1 defense is ignoring the actual problem IMO.

One of the things in Beane's end of season presser that caught my attention was his comment about the first NE game.

He said:

"The weather suited how they were built more than we"

Beane, Bruh - your team plays in Buffalo.  Just why is that, if true?

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Harbaugh has a better record, better postseason success, with inferior QBs, and won double the challenges with one less year. 

It's not even really an argument.  He's had more success better track record with less lol... unless you want to tell me regular season record and post season success don't matter...

I get lifetime achievement awards. Shula had those too before he couldn’t beat the Bills anymore. You’re installing Harbaugh as a de facto fait accompli when he hasn’t coached a single game in the division? And as for the Hoodie, his track record has suffered a few speed bumps post-Brady in division, no? We’re back to back East champs and until someone dislodges us from that, I can’t say we’re 3rd best in coaching, that’s all. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

My thoughts are that he's leveraging Miami and Minnesota against each other for the biggest cash grab he can find. 

If he's smart, he goes to the NFC.  Not many elite QBs.  Should be easier to find success.  AFC is much more competitive.

9 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

My thoughts are that he's leveraging Miami and Minnesota against each other for the biggest cash grab he can find. 

He’s pretty much burned his bridges at Michigan as everyone pretty much wants him gone as it is now losing him recruits.

Ultimately he’ll take the fins job and we can enjoy beating up on the guy for next 3 or 4 years 

6 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

Yeah, he’s a good coach but not so much to worry about him taking over the Dolphins.

Exactly.  Let's ask Nick Saban and Jimmy Johnson how well their Dolphins' stints worked out.

1 hour ago, ArtVandalay said:

Harbaugh has a better record, better postseason success, with inferior QBs, and won double the challenges with one less year. 

It's not even really an argument.  He's had more success better track record with less lol... unless you want to tell me regular season record and post season success don't matter...

i suppose what's the difference then?  there's a number of posters who want mcd gone under the though that he won't be able to win the big game.  what has harbaugh won?  he doesn't have the upper hand like you're making it out to be.  you went way out of the way to mention that he turned around a SF team that was bad for 9 years.  our bills were awful for 17 before mcd turned them around.    

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

One of the things in Beane's end of season presser that caught my attention was his comment about the first NE game.

He said:

I think he meant that the Pats are a run-first team and the Bills aren’t. That’s at least what I thought when I heard him say that. 

• Agree 3

8 minutes ago, teef said:

i suppose what's the difference then?  there's a number of posters who want mcd gone under the though that he won't be able to win the big game.  what has harbaugh won?  he doesn't have the upper hand like you're making it out to be.  you went way out of the way to mention that he turned around a SF team that was bad for 9 years.  our bills were awful for 17 before mcd turned them around.    

In his world, occupied by him and a handful of other posters, there isn't a thread that can't be turned into a "McDermott sucks" rant...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, teef said:

Harbaugh won more challenges …I guess

• Haha (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think he meant that the Pats are a run-first team and the Bills aren’t. That’s at least what I thought when I heard him say that. 

That's a sensible interpretation, but while we don't want to be a run-first team with Josh under center, at the least we need to be built so we can run enough to win over division rivals at home.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He said:

Cuz that type of limited offense doesn't tend to win super bowls.  You have to be able to run the ball for sure, but I don't know that you should build an entire offense around it when your best player is your QB. 

2008 Steelers are an example (they avoided both Manning (L to chargers)and Brady (injury) in that postseason).  2019 49ers were close as they obviously got there... But Jimmy G in the 4th quarter of that game was the reason they didn't win it.  The Eagles got there because Wentz played great before his injury, and Pederson/Reich called a masterpiece in the Super bowl - I wouldn't call them a "ball control" offense necessarily. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Harbaugh won more challenges …I guess

The D definitely carried the 49ers during his tenure.  Then Patrick Willis, and Justin Smith retired.  The guy Borland who started when Bowman was out even retired.  Aldon Smith got his 3rd DUI after the suspension filled 2014 season.  Even Anthony Davis retired on the offense.  

Never really got to see what the team was capable of without harbaugh.  

16 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

Hope he doesn't go to Miami.  We have the best QB in the division but we'd have the 3rd head coach. 

Why the Harbaugh love? 

Sure, he turned around a SF team and with the help of Roman, made Alex Smith into a serviceable QB, and accumulated a winning record.

But he also mis-managed the QB situation there in most hindsight judgements - Alex Smith went on to 7 years of solid QB play with 2 teams, including 4 playoff appearances and improved performance stats for the most part.  Yeah, he's not Pat Mahomes but he proved better than the "Hot hand" Kaepernick.

He also kind of seems to wear out his welcome after a few years.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Why the Harbaugh love? 

Sure, he turned around a SF team and with the help of Roman, made Alex Smith into a serviceable QB, and accumulated a winning record.

But he also mis-managed the QB situation there in most hindsight judgements - Alex Smith went on to 7 years of solid QB play with 2 teams, including 4 playoff appearances and improved performance stats for the most part.  Yeah, he's not Pat Mahomes but he proved better than the "Hot hand" Kaepernick.

He also kind of seems to wear out his welcome after a few years.

He has turned things around everywhere he has gone: U of San Diego, Stanford (1-11 the year before he got there and 12-1 four years later), SF, and Michigan (5-7 the year before he got there, and he went 59-19 there not including the covid 2020 season when half the team didn't play). The track record is good. 

Edited by dave mcbride

15 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

No idea why he wouldn’t go for Minnesota with rodgers on his way out 

A lot going for him in Miami: An owner he has a friendship with. Similar to his time at SF, they have a good defensive core to hold down the fort while he gradually brings his own offensive guys in. Then factor in lower taxes and like a lot of people he might be sick of the cold weather as he gets older.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, dave mcbride said:

He has turned things around everywhere he has gone: U of San Diego, Stanford, SF, and Michigan (5-7 the year before he got there, and he went 59-19 there not including the covid 2020 season when half the team didn't play). The track record is good. 

OK, but are the Dolphins in the same "need a turnaround" bucket?

I don't follow college football, but SF was indeed a pretty bad team when he took over there.  Best record in the previous 6 years was 8-8.   The other 5 years worse.

Miami has had 2 winning seasons under Flores.  I can see why Harbaugh is interested in Miami - they do have talent, as well as draft picks and cap space.

I'm not so sure it's the "turnaround" situation he excels at though.  Expectations are already high.

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

OK, but are the Dolphins in the same "need a turnaround" bucket?

I don't follow college football, but SF was indeed a pretty bad team when he took over there.  Best record in the previous 6 years was 8-8.   The other 5 years worse.

Miami has had 2 winning seasons under Flores.  I can see why Harbaugh is interested in Miami - they do have talent, as well as draft picks and cap space.

I'm not so sure it's the "turnaround" situation he excels at though.  Expectations are already high.

That's a fair point. I was simply referring to his track record of success. Regarding Miami, they did have winning seasons the last two years, and they've occasionally made the playoffs in the last two decades. However, they're never upper echelon and haven't won a playoff game since 2000. Regarding expectations, I don't know. There aren't many Tua believers out there, which puts a damper on expectations.

Edited by dave mcbride