McDermott's first Offensive Coordinator hire back in 2017

Bag of Milk

6 hours ago, MJS said:

That's called NFL football. I watch a lot of teams outside of Buffalo and there are mistakes made in every single game. It is the most complex sport in the world.

Riverboat gambling, yes but straight up brain freezing. I would’ve liked to have seen John Harbaugh or even Mike Vrabel in those last 13 seconds 

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

The sort of OC McDermott might hire if Daboll leaves scares me to death.

He's a defensive guy and just so conservative.

Well given the fact that the Bills GM will have some say in the decision i will feel good about the choice but the choices given in this article doesn't really excite me i would much rather just give it to Dorsey i think it's his time !!

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2022/1/24/22899609/5-replacement-options-for-bills-offensive-coordinator-brian-daboll-ken-dorsey

• Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Riverboat gambling, yes but straight up brain freezing. I would’ve liked to have seen John Harbaugh or even Mike Vrabel in those last 13 seconds 

Well, John Harbaugh was too busy screwing up his T-times for the next month while Vrabel was standing on the sidelines say "Who are those guys dressed as tigers"? 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Max Fischer said:

Your history lesson skips over a massive amount of context. 

This is what I was looking for as I scanned the thread.  As I recall, several candidates bailed, and there weren't many options left.  The position wasn't an attractive one either with Taylor as QB under a first-year coach.  And, if you look at how the Daboll hire transpired, he was hired very quick after Dennison was let go.  It was as if McD had it in place before he hired BD.

2 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

Well, John Harbaugh was too busy screwing up his T-times for the next month while Vrabel was standing on the sidelines say "Who are those guys dressed as tigers"? 

If both of those guys had any type of competent QB play, they may have been on a sideline this week. That’s one problem McDermott didn’t have 

15 hours ago, Bag of Milk said:

The Bills interviewed:

Brad Childress

Greg Olson- withdrew to become Rams OC

Rick Dennison

Ken Dorsey

McDermott picked Rick Dennison.

Not an inspiring hire to say the least.

Good news is: McDermott fired Dennison after only one season.

What a rookie HC with Tyrod Taylor as QB on a team that hadn't made the playoffs in 17 years compared to this upcoming situation

cannot be any farther apart.

IMO.

4 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Harbaugh is the reason the holding rule is in place now

Where if there are holding penalties on back to back plays and the refs deem it to be on purpose the clock is reset to when the play began 

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Trogdor said:

You don't think having your first coordinator position being under and offensive mind you trust isn't attractive? Less pressure to win immediately and provide time to actually learn isn't attractive? I think a more seasoned guy might want to come to Buffalo, but a new coordinator would be on an island. They built to air it out, but the HC wants balance, so that's something they will always have to contend with. I can see him picking the Giants over Bills. 

You know, it is ok to like yourself….. you deserve nice things.

21 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

I get so tired of people making like McDermott is stupid or something 

Someone recorded the Chiefs game and hasn't watched it yet...

Also let's keep in mind he's the same coach that was obsessed with Nate Peterman.

But in all seriousness it should be Dorsey without question. It's the conservative route anyway because of continuity. 

Edited by ArtVandalay

19 hours ago, Trogdor said:

The offense has only really been successful for 2 years. It was going nowhere fast before that. 

I agree with you, I just think it's a much softer landing for him. If he failed here it would be a much bigger blemish. 

A Bills offense regressing as he figures it out is suicide. It's win now here. 

We arent regressing because Dorsey takes over. How do you know we dont get better??

14 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

We arent regressing because Dorsey takes over. How do you know we dont get better??

There is nothing saying he is staying. Right now its probably 50/50. That would mean a brand new system and everything that goes with that. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.