Ed Oliver 5th year option

YoloinOhio

His progression this year was very impressive.  Looking forward to a long term extension for him.  I may have gained the most respect for him in the way that he carried him self while being arrested for DUI with zero alcohol or drugs in his system.  He just calmly followed the officers instructions.  That situation could have been so much worse (especially considering he had a gun in the car).  Thankfully he kept a cool, calm, and collected head about himself.

Edited by Mark80
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Much more deserving of it than Edmunds. He’s trending upwards and getting better and better.

I'd argue that piking up the 5th year option occurs for 2 main reasons...

1. You value the player and want them back. Plan for a 2nd contract. 

2. You're uncertain and/or have an issue at the position. Basically a stopgap. 

I think #1 is Oliver and #2 is Edmunds. Edmunds is good at some things, but I suspect they would have brought in someone else there if they had the resources. The pandemic and subsequent salary cap drop really boned the Bills on the timing. Picking up Edmunds at that point was the best solution to keep the position at at least it's past skill level and allow Beane to focus dollars elsewhere to keep most of the team together or make improvements. 

It was really a masterstroke by Beane to keep as much of the team together in the circumstances. I suspect we'll see resources spent at LB this offseason where he has a bit more breathing room (even if they keep Edmunds). 

To keep this on Oliver though, I believe they value him and want to give him a 2nd contract. 

Edited by Malazan
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

Just now, Mark Vader said:

Do people on this board still think that Ed Oliver is a bust?

This board is unhinged for the most part and thinks pretty much every draft pick is a bust. Allen may be the only one you couldn't find someone on here saying he's a bust and that's really just come in the last 2 weeks. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

Oli and Harrison worked well together.

Cant wait for star and obada to get cut

Obada makes peanuts, I’d actually bring him back on another low cost deal. Rousseau, Basham, Epenesa, and Obada would be four I’d have returning for sure.

PS: I would’ve loved to see Obada go rogue once he saw Kelce lined up across from him. Rather than rush the passer, jam Kelce at the line just to disrupt something and then you can go after the QB you weren’t going to get to anyway. Unfortunately Obada has played the least football of anyone on the roster, so that recognition on his part is probably a pipe dream. I’m not sure Hughes or Addison would’ve jammed Kelce there either and both of them are old vets on the verge of retirement.

Edited by JayBaller10

Just now, Malazan said:

This board is unhinged for the most part and thinks pretty much every draft pick is a bust. Allen may be the only one you couldn't find someone on here saying he's a bust and that's really just come in the last 2 weeks. 

I'm well aware of that. I just wanted to check and see if it still holds true to people.

The instant gratification crowd on here is insufferable.

I remember back in the mid-90's how many Bills fans said that Eric Moulds was a bust. :doh:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

1 minute ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Right, Ed played great last week. One of the few defensive players who did. We basically have to build a front 4 around him.

Yeah,  I’m happy with Ed and Greg.  Resign Harrison and hope he stays healthy. Pray that Basham turns out as it seems like AJ is a bust.  The hope for a “premier pass rusher” if bleak imo.  Most likely going to be another rotation imo.  Not much cap room and we have some holes that need patching.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.