Sullivan: Bills' McDermott choked away Super Bowl-caliber season

QCity

14 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I remember people saying NE didn't draft that great. They never had great WRs other than Moss for a few years. No great RBs. Great TE. 

But anyways why are you predicting something that's not even reality? The Bills have closed the gap on KC in 1 season. We're talking about being Super Bowl caliber for 2 seasons, and they already caught KC.  It hasn't been a long time.

Maybe I'm missing something. What exactly aren't the Bills doing? Why don't you believe they will do what's needed to finish the job next year?

I'm not predicting anything.  I'm just saying not to take this recent success for granted.  There's no guarantee that this team will continue to get better or that McDermott's questionable coaching in big spots will improve.

5 minutes ago, mannc said:

Yeah, the details don’t really matter…it was a s**tshow at the worst possible time, and that the HC’s responsibility.  

For sure,  you cannot have that and I feel terrible because Allen plays the game of his life and our coaches throw it away because they are not all on the same page. Every single pundit just shakes their head watching 3 plays after Allen again gives the Bills a lead with 13 secs left. Amateur hour

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Livinginthepast said:

How many people commenting on this post didn't even read the article because , "ooooh its bitter Jerry Sullivan" . If someone else had wrote it you would have at least read it and maybe agreed with its points but because its critical Jerry, the eternal pessimist, you skip it and criticize the messenger? I hate to tell you, he is right. Yes, its not anything stupendously original, his take is identical to what fans here said soon after the game on Sunday night. What I like about Sullivan is that he is one of the few media people who holds the franchise to account for its errors and says things that fans say. If anything we need more people like him to light a fire under these coaches and players.  Our media has too many people who sugarcoat their questions to coaches and are happy for the team to get their playoff participation medal. Jerry at least sticks his neck out there and asks some tough questions. The defense after the windy Pats game debacle should have been embarrassed by their efforts and I am glad that Jerry asked that question. Strange coincidence how they responded after that in the season.  On Sunday the Bills had 13 secs to force KC into the offseason and they blew it 100%. The special teams were ordered to do that stupid kickoff (if not then tell us McD , Whose decision was it?). Its simply non debatable that the defense that was called on those two plays with 13 seconds left was utterly moronic. You hadn't got to Mahomes ALL GAME but yet once again you rush 4? 4 exhausted lineman? who even at max speed at the start of the game would not get to Mahomes in time (especially not when he is forced to release the ball within 3-4 seconds). Why not rush 2 and clog up the passing lanes with more linebackers or DBs?  You don't at least have double teams on Kelce and Hill? You don't bump Kelce and Hill at the line? You don't take a holding penalty to eat clock? (and BTW I dont think the refs would have the cojones to call some intentional holding cheating penalty to put time back on there). Even in the OT you don't burn your timeout on their drive? why not? Had the Bills just conceded after they lost the coin toss?. What are you going to use those time outs for after the game? All of what happened in those 13 secs and after in OT just exemplified my worst fears about McD, which are that he is an excellent coach on many levels but some of his in game decisions show a lack of being able to think on his feet.  You would think that these end game scenarios are practiced over and over by NFL coaches so at least in that moment they DONT have to think under the pressure, they just know that in THIS particular situation you should do this particular defense in order to maximize your chances of success. That's what should have happened. Why didn't  Frazier and McD have multiple plans worked out for these late game scenarios before the game?? Instead we get some amateurish knee jerk vanilla prevent as if we were up by 4 PTS!! There simply isnt any excuse for losing like we did. The coaches should be putting players in their best position to WIN and on Sunday the coaches in the most crucial moments of the season, put a tired and hard working defensive team in the best position to FAIL. If it takes Jerry Sullivan and other media (who dont fear hurting the coaches and players feelings) and fans to call this out and force the team to get better then I welcome this 100%! 

And he uses paragraphs.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

As has been said, both the kickoff and the defensive alignments are of the same type and mindset. Play not to lose, not to win. Overly conservative (or flat out cowardly) even when the odds are 95% in your favour if you play correct situational football. A huge spotlight was focussed on that deficiency last Sunday. 
The question going forward is can the HC learn from his mistakes. Frankly I don’t think it’s a question of just X’s and O’s. Its a character flaw. That makes it a lot harder.

• Like (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

I noticed that (think it was in the WSJ article). Off the top of my head I would have set the win probability much higher - probably 99.5% or something. And remember, that's "win probability," which includes the chance of KC tying and then the Bills ultimately winning in OT.

So you're right - with a little perspective now, we can say:

- it was an extremely unlikely outcome that KC would tie (5 in 100 such scenarios; probably somewhat higher if we say "win or tie")

- it wasn't, however, a Music City Miracle level of improbability, which was probably more like 99.9%

- and this wasn't kicking it off to an average offense over the period of time the win probability is calculated (say, kicking off to 2021 Steelers - a roughly average scoring offense this year, adjusting for the higher scoring environment of 2020-21). Then again the Bills are ostensibly the best defense of 2021 ...

At any rate, this was no Music City Miracle. It was astounding when it happened, but in retrospect ... crap like this happens more than we think it does.

the officiating debacle I feared may occur  did not.........The coaching ended up being one now clearly.  And Then the timeout rule giving so much advantage to the flip of a coin with NO recourse for the other team. That rule  may be changed due to our game. If there is any good I can find beyond the obvious stellar Josh Allen and Gabe Davis stats THAT is one thing...doesnt help us now but at least in the future it may make overtime rules more fair to both teams.

m

Edited by muppy

39 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

I'm not predicting anything.  I'm just saying not to take this recent success for granted.  There's no guarantee that this team will continue to get better or that McDermott's questionable coaching in big spots will improve.

Watch more football is my suggestion because every coach makes questionable decisions every single week. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Logic said:

He'll never NOT have a steak of old school conservatism in his coaching. Does it make more sense to pair Allen with an elite offensive mind, and one who is not afraid to constantly push the envelope and be aggressive?

Well, he did go for it twice on 4th down early in the game.

No, on defense he'll never be Buddy Ryan. But we kind of tried that whole Ryan thing and moved on.

Remember when Andy Reid was the worst in-game decison maker in the NFL coaching ranks?

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2020/1/10/21060074/andy-reid-clock-management-kansas-city-chiefs-divisional-round-houston-texans

He seems to know how to manage a 13 second clock now.

I think this is just sensationalism from Jerry, he's not entirely wrong, but he is exaggerating. Details do matter. Play calling in the first half after the first drive? That's on Daboll, McD is his boss, so I get it. But if we're calling the first half like we do in the 2nd, it's a different ball game. And I understand the urgency of winning now. But the reality is there are many pieces to this puzzle. The realist in me knows, as you all do, McD isn't going anywhere for at least the next two seasons, likely even longer, whether you like it or not. So can he fine tune a few pieces this offseason? Especially in the killer mentality department? I think he can. Details do matter, Leslie Frazier is the DC and played the sidelines while KC had 3 timeouts. 

The real key, is if McD can make that next step. It's hard for me to say he can't. Jerry has also been blaming Poyer and Hyde, which again I think is a stretch. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Extremely fair and accurate accounting of the game, reflecting several key themes that have been ALL OVER this message board since the moment the game ended.

He has high praise of Allen, speaks of the folly of the current OT rule, and offers fair and accurate criticism of McDermott's playoff in-game management, which is not particularly strong.

He also correctly points out that the Pegulas will almost certainly not have any issues with McDermott...but perhaps someone should be asking if what McD brings to the table is enough to match Josh's promise.

I'm sure this won't stop an army of posters here from trashing Jerry and the column, despite never reading a word of it.

Such is the way of ignorance.

Nah.  It's overly emotional drivel designed to tug at the heart strings of the reader and tap into the anger and frustration of a franchise fan base.   The fact that the defense failed to make a stop is obvious, and criticism on that point it fair.  Words and phrases that characterize---"choke", "hide behind", "self-serving" and "froze" are better suited for middle school playgrounds (or amongst fans desperate to make sense of a heartbreaking loss) than in serious analysis of a professional sporting event by a journalist.  

That said, this sort of work appeals to some readers for any number of reasons. There's no need to trash the guy, or his column, some people like this sort of thing. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Nah.  It's overly emotional drivel designed to tug at the heart strings of the reader and tap into the anger and frustration of a franchise fan base.   The fact that the defense failed to make a stop is obvious, and criticism on that point it fair.  Words and phrases that characterize---"choke", "hide behind", "self-serving" and "froze" are better suited for middle school playgrounds (or amongst fans desperate to make sense of a heartbreaking loss) than in serious analysis of a professional sporting event by a journalist.  

That said, this sort of work appeals to some readers for any number of reasons. There's no need to trash the guy, or his column, some people like this sort of thing. 

Leo I love this post. Our thoughts don't exactly mirror but close enough. I wish you'd post on the football side more. 

Sincerely muppy who wishes she was in Mupstate NY right now 🙂

haha

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Extremely fair and accurate accounting of the game, reflecting several key themes that have been ALL OVER this message board since the moment the game ended.

I'm sure this won't stop an army of posters here from trashing Jerry and the column, despite never reading a word of it.

Such is the way of ignorance.

I think we found the ignorance, and it's not everyone else here...

This from the same man who asked the most ridiculous question earlier this season and pissed off the team and now tries to haunt the Bills and the Mafia with his neverending negative soapbox diatribes?

No thanks. I'm not going to read it because he's not worth reading... it's the same old trash we have seen sow for years from Sully, but hey, call me whatever you want, but I know better and I am surely not ignorant.  

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

12 minutes ago, muppy said:

Leo I love this post. Our thoughts don't exactly mirror but close enough. I wish you'd post on the football side more. 

Sincerely muppy who wishes she was in Mupstate NY right now 🙂

haha

I don't know enough about x's and o's to contribute all that much here, though I read and pay particular attention to a few posters.  

I do know, for example, that I cannot understand why there was no defender within tackling distance of Kelce/Hill on those last two painful plays, know that that shouldn't have happened in a perfect world, and would love to hear why things played out that way.  I also know I'll never fully be briefed on that. 

I know that I think McDermott is a very good coach based on his track record here, the focus he seems to bring to the table, and based on the response(s) I see from his players about him.  I know I don't care if he claps.   

I know that in life, there are do-ers, and sometimes where time and or money conspire,  there are people that sit in the peanut gallery complaining about what the do-ers do.  McD's job is hard, JS's job is easy.  I tend to support, or at least empathize, with  the guy with the hard job over the guy with the easy job, especially when the easy work is predicated on trashing someone else. 

All that said, I wanted to fire my cell phone through my television during and after the game Sunday, and Jerry Sullivan had nothing on me in the moment.  

Btw--spoke with a close friend over the last few days who is a 9ers fan.  He's got near total recall of all the heartbreaking losses that have occurred to the 9ers in his 50+ years.  He texted me about 7 examples, all of which rival '13 seconds' if taken from the perspective of a 9ers fan.  The difference of course is his team has rings, but still, someone's heart is always getting broken.  I'm learning that as time goes on. 

Going to cold af in Mupstate the next few days-- :thumbdown:--I wish I was in Florida. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I don't know enough about x's and o's to contribute all that much here, though I read and pay particular attention to a few posters.  

I do know, for example, that I cannot understand why there was no defender within tackling distance of Kelce/Hill on those last two painful plays, know that that shouldn't have happened in a perfect world, and would love to hear why things played out that way.  I also know I'll never fully be briefed on that. 

I know that I think McDermott is a very good coach based on his track record here, the focus he seems to bring to the table, and based on the response(s) I see from his players about him.  I know I don't care if he claps.   

I know that in life, there are do-ers, and sometimes where time and or money conspire,  there are people that sit in the peanut gallery complaining about what the do-ers do.  McD's job is hard, JS's job is easy.  I tend to support, or at least empathize, with  the guy with the hard job over the guy with the easy job, especially when the easy work is predicated on trashing someone else. 

All that said, I wanted to fire my cell phone through my television during and after the game Sunday, and Jerry Sullivan had nothing on me in the moment.  

Btw--spoke with a close friend over the last few days who is a 9ers fan.  He's got near total recall of all the heartbreaking losses that have occurred to the 9ers in his 50+ years.  He texted me about 7 examples, all of which rival '13 seconds' if taken from the perspective of a 9ers fan.  The difference of course is his team has rings, but still, someone's heart is always getting broken.  I'm learning that as time goes on. 

Going to cold af in Mupstate the next few days-- :thumbdown:--I wish I was in Florida. 

ha HA...SUCCESS......sneakily the mupster found a way to entice leo to post in the football thread VICTORY giphy.gif

lol I needed my leo fix Im proud of myself actually 

lmaooooooooooo

thanks man I needed the grins 🙂

m

PS: Florida Schmorida..there are some great flight deals out of EWR right? at least that's what I heard.....but I catch your drift..u want away from drifts as in Snow TCK...ok ill shutit haha m

• Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.