Is Patrick Mahomes to Josh Allen what Jim Kelly was to Dan Marino

BuffaloBill

At the end of the day it’s a non winnable debate - however, many experts might agree that Dan Marino was a better pure QB as compared to Jim Kelly. Kelly arguably had the better surrounding cast and maybe the better coaching.

Will Josh overcome and move past the shadow of Patrick Mahomes? 

Interestingly enough, the one way that Josh may overcome Mahomes is for one of the reasons why Kelly > Marino. Kelly was tough and a fierce competitor. I am not slighting Mahomes but his sledding has been easier than Josh’s. Josh has willed himself to great play and sought to move forward every year. As good as Josh is the ceiling may not yet be touched….yet.

Josh is a warrior and for this reason alone my money is on him to do what right now seems impossible.  

• Eyeroll 1

I've stated it a few times and I'll keep saying it. It took Peyton Manning (one of the best qbs ever) 6 playoff matchups to beat Brady. Think about that. Can u imagine if Allen and Mahomes play one another 6 times in the playoffs and the bills lose 6 times? Just an example of how it goes sometimes. I will say though, that I don't think it'll take the bills that long to get to a superbowl 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

At the end of the day it’s a non winnable debate - however, many experts might agree that Dan Marino was a better pure QB as compared to Jim Kelly. Kelly arguably had the better surrounding cast and maybe the better coaching.

Interestingly enough, the one way that Josh may overcome Mahomes is for one of the reasons why Kelly > Marino. Kelly was tough and a fierce competitor. I am not slighting Mahomes but his sledding has been easier than Josh’s. Josh has willed himself to great play and sought to move forward every year. As good as Josh is the ceiling may not yet be touched….yet.

Josh is a warrior and for this reason alone my money is on him to do what right now seems impossible.  

I never really understood these.... Josh Allen isn't playing against Patrick Mahomes he's playing against the KC defenses who he clearly destroyed. Our defense was worse on this day and I have no doubt it will be addressed in the offseason.

2 minutes ago, Steptide said:

I've stated it a few times and I'll keep saying it. It took Peyton Manning (one of the best qbs ever) 6 playoff matchups to beat Brady. Think about that. Can u imagine if Allen and Mahomes play one another 6 times in the playoffs and the bills lose 6 times? Just an example of how it goes sometimes. I will say though, that I don't think it'll take the bills that long to get to a superbowl 

Right now, and it is still early in both their careers, the match up is closer to Brady v. Manning. But Allen is technically still technically on his rookie deal....seriously. His cap hit was $10M and next year is $16M. Too early to close the book on how this plays out between the two of them. 

• Agree 2

Yes, if this FO and Coaching staff continue to mismanage talent and games, that is exactly what this will become.  We did not improve roster wise, KC did.  We got outcoached, although I'm not even sure we did, we outcoached ourselves by making mistakes a good HS coach wouldn't make.  

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

Right now, and it is still early in both their careers, the match up is closer to Brady v. Manning. But Allen is technically still technically on his rookie deal....seriously. His cap hit was $10M and next year is $16M. Too early to close the book on how this plays out between the two of them. 

interesting with the numbers on Allen.  This is when we need to open the bank for impact players on the front 7, and perhaps another WR to make defending this offense horrific for D's (I mean, it already is, but moresoe).  

I was wondering something similar before the game even started. Not so much Kelly and Marino as much as the Bills and Dolphins. There were numerous times during the Bills domination of the AFC when the Dolphins beat us in the regular season and then lost to us in the playoffs. I remember when we played them in the championship game, in the heat of Miami, and their fans must have thought, this is our time. they're getting old, we finally have home field advantage, it's destiny that Dan gets back to the big game at this stage of their career. Then we went out and beat the crap out of them.

I don't foresee this happening with us and KC, but I'll admit it did cross my mind

• Like (+1) 1

Mahomes>Bills D

Allen>Chiefs D

It's not like Basketball where everyone is on the court simultaneously. Or Baseball where a particular Hitter has a pitcher's number. Or vice versa.

Stafford has beaten Tom Brady three straight times. Nobody would argue Stafford is the better QB.

I hate that QB's get tagged with wins and losses. Yet other players don't.

It is what it is though.

On an unrelated note, it appears a Rams-KC SB is inevitable.

That should be interesting because the Rams have the front four that can wreck any QB. And their offense would likely score at least 30 on the Chiefs D.

It all comes down to whether Stafford makes mistakes or not. The Niners had that SB won if not for Jimmy G.

Regardless, I think KC would be favored by 5.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Yes, if this FO and Coaching staff continue to mismanage talent and games, that is exactly what this will become.  We did not improve roster wise, KC did.  We got outcoached, although I'm not even sure we did, we outcoached ourselves by making mistakes a good HS coach wouldn't make.  

interesting with the numbers on Allen.  This is when we need to open the bank for impact players on the front 7, and perhaps another WR to make defending this offense horrific for D's (I mean, it already is, but moresoe).  

This year is tough without restructuring a ton to take away from next years cap space where we have a ton of work to do with re-signing or replacements. As much as i dislike some of those guys, we still need to upgrade or replace the below. Plus a ton more. But below are the notables. 

In terms of offense, I am curious if Stevenson can flash next year at WR. I would like to get Hogins healthy, then add a day 2 or early 3 depth piece. I want to upgrade the OL just like everybody else. But ours really jelled at the end of the season. Preferably the current group rides it out, and we grab 2 guys in the mid-rounds who don't have to start right away, but can possibly be an upgrade after a full season in the NFL.

We need a thumper in the front 7, that is for sure. I have been thinking today, as critical as I have been of Edmunds, how he would do if we had grabbed JOK and Edmunds could play downhill a bit more, taking away some of his variables. Oliver is looking very good. Philips has come to play a bit. AJE leaves a ton to be desired. Groot will have to carry the DE group with who we have at the moment. 

2023 brings up: 
Poyer

Edmunds

Oliver

Morse

Singletary

Knox

If the OP is somehow suggesting that Dan Marino was not tough or a fierce competitor, he's wrong!

Will Josh Allen aways play second fiddle to Mahomes?

Who the hell knows!

We'll find out.  Give it another 8 years or so.

Everyone is framing it as Allen v Mahomes. But we all know football is a team sport. Allen has equaled Mahomes in QB ability. The problem is we don’t have a Hill or Kielce other speed players like KC has. Bills have definitely closed the gap since last year, but still need to get over the mountain. 

21 minutes ago, Steptide said:

This isn't correct. Manning beat Brady on his third try, in 2006. He lost in 2003 and 2004.  He also won in 2013 and 2015 vs. Brady, ending up 3-3 overall.  

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Marino never was as close in the playoffs as Allen was yesterday. Those games were mostly mere formalities.

30 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Depends if the franchise gets him the necessary help.

He has a true #1 WR and the number one defense.  He and the team were good enough to win it all this year.  Winning it all takes some luck (or your QB to marry a supermodel who practices witchcraft).

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.