Why didn't they hold?

Joe Ferguson

1 minute ago, Joe Ferguson said:

It's only a 5 yard penalty and takes time off the clock? Another blunder by the coaching staff on the infamous 13 seconds left fiasco.

Squib kick to run 3-4 seconds off and then literally tackle every Chief receiver on the first play...5 yard penalty but Chiefs are down to one play from their 30ish yard line.  Inexcusable to lose a game like that.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson said:

It's only a 5 yard penalty and takes time off the clock! Another blunder by the coaching staff on the infamous 13 seconds left fiasco.

I feel really bad for Allen's parents who were celebrating in the press box with 13 secs.  Someone needs to be fired for the stupidity,  Sean all but admitted they screwed up. Squib kick= 4-5 secs at least and then just tackle Hill and Kelce

We need to stop just saying we will get them next year,  get rid of Frazier because he is a loser and this #1 defence is fake news

4 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

I feel really bad for Allen's parents who were celebrating in the press box with 13 secs.  Someone needs to be fired for the stupidity,  Sean all but admitted they screwed up. Squib kick= 4-5 secs at least and then just tackle Hill and Kelce

We need to stop just saying we will get them next year,  get rid of Frazier because he is a loser and this #1 defence is fake news

Maybe another team will make the decision for the Bills.  We also don’t know how much McD influenced the late defensive calls.  Romo  was right questioning why they were rushing four.  Even with that, you have 5 O-linemen plus Mahomes, leaving 5 receivers.  The Bills had 7 defending the pass.  How do you not double Kelce, who had 2 big catches on that late FG drive?

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

Maybe another team will make the decision for the Bills.  We also don’t know how much McD influenced the late defensive calls.  Romo  was right questioning why they were rushing four.  Even with that, you have 5 O-linemen plus Mahomes, leaving 5 receivers.  The Bills had 7 defending the pass.  How do you not double Kelce, who had 2 big catches on that late FG drive?

If they were going to rush 4 they just should have blitzed to force the ball out quick and make a tackle.  

I mean I would have rushed 1 and dropped everyone into coverage...and maybe have it be a slot corner blitz so he gets quick pressure

31 minutes ago, QCity said:

This loophole was closed in 2017. This strategy now resets the clock to where it was before the play.

I think you can do it once in a game, but if you do it a second time then the restored game clock comes into play.

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

If they were going to rush 4 they just should have blitzed to force the ball out quick and make a tackle.  

I mean I would have rushed 1 and dropped everyone into coverage...and maybe have it be a slot corner blitz so he gets quick pressure

Of course, Mahomes could’ve then run it and got a bunch of yards, which would’ve taken time off clock.  Just a tough team to defend and IIRC they still had all 3 timeouts.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

13 seconds.  It is almost impossible to let KC do what they did.  Epic coaching failure.  

Not with all 3 time outs.  They only had to go 40 yards. It was a 49 yard kick.

5 seconds each play.  Called TO with 3 seconds left.  They made plays of 19 and 25 yards. 

Why it's so important to not squander time outs earlier 

2 hours ago, Joe Ferguson said:

It's only a 5 yard penalty and takes time off the clock! Another blunder by the coaching staff on the infamous 13 seconds left fiasco.

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/3/28/15066542/nfl-rule-prevent-team-burning-clock-repeated-intentional-penalties

3 hours ago, QCity said:

This loophole was closed in 2017. This strategy now resets the clock to where it was before the play.

That seems to refer to players in between plays trying to prevent them from getting back into position to snap the ball.

8 hours ago, QCity said:

I'd like to see the rule you are referring to. I'm not sure you are correct. 

8 hours ago, QCity said:

Also, it seems like that would be awful hard to prove the first-time it happened. 

Edited by newcam2012

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.