I never believed we were a cursed franchise... until today

saundena

Title says it all and I don't know how we recover as an organization. This sure felt like it was going to be our year. A win today would have gotten us the Bengals in Orchard Park.  What do we have to do to get over the hump or appease the football gods?  We have a superstar QB who actually outplayed Mahomes.... In KC no less, but our vaunted defense which features 2 high draft picks specifically selected to slow Mahomes we're MIA.   Sure we'll field a competitive team next year, but I have ho confidence that we won't "Bills" away another season and and another one the year after.   What is it going to take to win a SB?  I feel like it's a hopeless endeavor.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

Yeah… the way they lost today is only rivaled by some team that lost in a similar fashion… hold on I’m trying to remember which team.. oh yes!  The Bills themselves back in 1999😂😂. Yes they are cursed but you know what?  They wouldn’t be the Buffalo Bills if they won a championship🤷🏻‍♂️

8 hours ago, saundena said:

Title says it all and I don't know how we recover as an organization. This sure felt like it was going to be our year. A win today would have gotten us the Bengals in Orchard Park.  What do we have to do to get over the hump or appease the football gods?  We have a superstar QB who actually outplayed Mahomes.... In KC no less, but our vaunted defense which features 2 high draft picks specifically selected to slow Mahomes we're MIA.   Sure we'll field a competitive team next year, but I have ho confidence that we won't "Bills" away another season and and another one the year after.   What is it going to take to win a SB?  I feel like it's a hopeless endeavor.

The Packers lost three years in a row in the playoffs to the Cowboys from 1993-95 (plus four times in the regular season from 1993-96 to them), before winning the SB in 1996. (All seven games were at Dallas, btw.)

Edited by chongli

So many fan bases out there think they are cursed. The Jets are cursed, the Dolphins, the Jags, the Bengals, it goes on and on.

The Oilers were cursed when we came back from 35-3 down to beat them. John Elway and the Broncos were cursed until they beat the Packers. 

I'd say, awful loss aside, we're one of the lucky few franchises that has not only a franchise QB but one of the very top players at any position in the entire league.

Dolphins fans are staring down the barrel of another season with Tua at the helm, how do you think they feel?

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

The Oilers were cursed when we came back from 35-3 down to beat them. John Elway and the Broncos were cursed until they beat the Packers. 

And unfortunately, their curse ended with the Music City Miracle against us in 1999. Ugh.

7 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

So many fan bases out there think they are cursed. The Jets are cursed, the Dolphins, the Jags, the Bengals, it goes on and on.

I'd say, awful loss aside, we're one of the lucky few franchises that has not only a franchise QB but one of the very top players at any position in the entire league.

Dolphins fans are staring down the barrel of another season with Tua at the helm, how do you think they feel?

Go points. But we need our curse.  What else do we have in our history?

"Cursed" is little silly imo, like @RobbRiddick said above many franchises may feel cursed then.

But ATM I do share some fear how do we recover from this. It was just brutal, and it will definitely stay in heads of the players. It was just like losing SB and we all now what happened to Seahawks or Falcons (to name a few who lost in similar fashion recently).

I just hope that Josh is what we all hope he is and he comes even stronger out of this. I am sure I wouldn't, but we are talking Josh Allen here.

Just now, Greg S said:

Even they have a Lombardi. Granted it was 53 years ago but still they have one.

Lombardi Trophy or not, they have the Johnson Bros., and they hired Gase after Miami gave him the heave-ho.  That's 'Ancient Mariner' level damnation. 😁

Besides, I think they had to give the Lombardi to Suzy Kolber after Joe Willy groped her.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Human sacrifices, that's what is needed.  I am getting a representative sampling of deserving candidates from the board. 🤨

Seeing how the only thing keeping me alive was waiting for the Bills to win a super bowl, I don’t mind sacrificing myself for the cause, now...😉

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, JaCrispy said:

Seeing how the only thing keeping me alive was waiting for the Bills to win a super bowl, I don’t mind sacrificing myself for the cause, now...😉

Well, make a few 'knuckle dragging, gape mouthed and drooling' posts about direction the team is heading, and we'll see what we can do.  And as Spock said to McCoy in ST:II, "Remember."

image.jpeg.d73284a9211ab63127ccd09b543d56f7.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

You're making my point for me. Unlike some of the other franchises you mentioned, we've done everything seemingly right, built a contender, only to lose in the most soul crushing ways possible. 

This Bills team, like other Bills teams of the past is very good- yet we appear to lose important / playoff games in the most mind numbing ways.  

-4 Superbowls

-Moulds deep pass then Fumble 98 playoffs

-The "Just give it to them" game

-Music City Miracle

-Loss to the Steelers 2nd stringers to make the playoffs

-Yesterdays 13 Seconds game

I'm sure I could think of more if I gave it time, but you get the point.  The teams referenced above were all very good teams that inexplicable lost.  They weren't dumpster fire teams wandering aimlessly in football purgatory.

Edited by saundena

3 minutes ago, saundena said:

You're making my point for me. Unlike some of the other franchises you mentioned, we're done everything seemingly right, built a contender, only to lose in the most soul crushing ways possible. 

This Bills team, like other Bills teams of the past is very good- yet we appear to lose important / playoff games in the most mind numbing ways.  

-4 Superbowls

-Music City Miracle

Sure I could think of more if I have it time, but you get the point.  The teams referenced above were all very good teams that inexplicable lost

OMG!

Please let me introduce myself, I’m a man of wealth and taste- Mr. Ronnie Harman! And so it began...

4 minutes ago, Bleed Bills Blue said:

The good news is that site for the new stadium has been extensively surveyed using ground penetrating radar. No native American remains there, unlike the current stadium. So, the curse will finally be lifted when we start playing there in four years' time. Josh should be in his prime, then.

Are you serious?  Is our current stadium built on Native American burial games? I never knew that!

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Human sacrifices, that's what is needed.  I am getting a representative sampling of deserving candidates from the board. 🤨

Let me know, I’ll commence the ceremony 

5 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

This wasn't a curse or bad luck...it was bad coaching, period!

Squib kick to take time off the clock and make them return the kick. #1 bad mistake. The sole reason for this loss, IMHO.

Leaving the Chiefs two best receivers open was a killer mistake. 

They didn’t want a return because of Hill but I agree coaching lost this as always 

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, saundena said:

You're making my point for me. Unlike some of the other franchises you mentioned, we've done everything seemingly right, built a contender, only to lose in the most soul crushing ways possible. 

-4 Superbowls

-Music City Miracle

I'm sure I could think of more if I gave it time, but you get the point.  The teams referenced above were all very good teams that inexplicable lost.  They weren't dumpster fire teams wandering aimlessly in football purgatory.

I get that you're down about the outcome, I feel down when I think about it, but there are no such things as curses. Yeah we lost 4 SBs but what about the teams that have never been there? Are they less cursed than us because they've never had to suffer the agony of losing the biggest game? Or are they cursed because they never got to experience the hope before kickoff?

All those years when we never got to the playoffs it was easy for me. I knew we wouldn;t get to the playoffs and could just sit back every year detached from it all and enjoy the games, laugh at the mistakes and hope Brady lost. Once you're a good team and you're getting to the playoffs regularly it becomes something you're invested in again and you open yourself up to the agony of defeat again. But i'd rather be there with a chance than not. 

I bet Dolphin fans are laughing their a**es off this morning after seeing us lose, but if curses really exist then they're the ones who are truly cursed. A s*** show of a franchise with a sub par QB and searching for a coach again after having two big games at the end of consecutive seasons where if they win they're in, only to get blown out.

Maybe I'm becoming more glass if half full as my years advance but I don't feel cursed. i feel damn lucky that we have Josh Allen as our QB, while the Jets feel cursed for taking Darnold. The AFC isn't going to go through KC every year, that just won't happen. We'll have our day eventually and then we'll get 1000 threads saying the curse has been lifted

3 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

I get that you're down about the outcome, I feel down when I think about it, but there are no such things as curses. Yeah we lost 4 SBs but what about the teams that have never been there? Are they less cursed than us because they've never had to suffer the agony of losing the biggest game? Or are they cursed because they never got to experience the hope before kickoff?

All those years when we never got to the playoffs it was easy for me. I knew we wouldn;t get to the playoffs and could just sit back every year detached from it all and enjoy the games, laugh at the mistakes and hope Brady lost. Once you're a good team and you're getting to the playoffs regularly it becomes something you're invested in again and you open yourself up to the agony of defeat again. But i'd rather be there with a chance than not. 

I bet Dolphin fans are laughing their a**es off this morning after seeing us lose, but if curses really exist then they're the ones who are truly cursed. A s*** show of a franchise with a sub par QB and searching for a coach again after having two big games at the end of consecutive seasons where if they win they're in, only to get blown out.

Maybe I'm becoming more glass if half full as my years advance but I don't feel cursed. i feel damn lucky that we have Josh Allen as our QB, while the Jets feel cursed for taking Darnold. The AFC isn't going to go through KC every year, that just won't happen. We'll have our day eventually and then we'll get 1000 threads saying the curse has been lifted

If you don’t believe in curses you live in a reality that is closed in. I’m not saying the Buffalo Bills are cursed. But there are legit people in this world n have been since the beginning that can put a curse on someone or something and if given the tools, willing participants, and the knowledge people really can alter the world. If you’ve never heard the saying wishes rule the world then you don’t know what’s going on behind your CEOs doors frfr

2 minutes ago, Rebel101 said:

If you don’t believe in curses you live in a reality that is closed in. I’m not saying the Buffalo Bills are cursed. But there are legit people in this world n have been since the beginning that can put a curse on someone or something and if given the tools, willing participants, and the knowledge people really can alter the world. If you’ve never heard the saying wishes rule the world then you don’t know what’s going on behind your CEOs doors frfr

Cool, someone make me a voodoo doll of Mahomes

If you've been a fan long enough you've kind of come to expect this kind of crap.  Cursed or not, we as fans have  had the Harmon drop, the "wide right", the "MMM" and now the "greatest comeback that never was."  IMO, this season has had the feel of 1989 all over it.  The team comes from no where in 2019 to win the division and play in the AFCC which they lose (see 1988).  Then they come into this season as real contenders with the national press on them and they promptly lose their first game in a rather flat display of football.  While the '89 team featured the "Bickering Bills" a lot of that bickering stemmed from believing they were better than they were (IMO).  They win their division and lose in the divisional playoffs on Harmon's wide open drop.  Fast forward to this season - they just never got in a rhythm until it was too late.  They beat up on some very bad teams, lost to the worst team and cost themselves the home field advantage.   

I'm interested to see if, like the 1990 Bills, the team comes back next year all business.  After a soul crushing loss like last night each person who's on the team next year has a decision to make on how they want to show up.  I really hope and believe that the team will come out for blood and do all they can to have the road to the SB go through Buffalo.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.