Squib kick

VaMilBill

3 minutes ago, Toyo321 said:

Even Boomer was saying it was so stupid to kick that ball into the endzone.  Leave it to McD and Frazier to screw up probably the best offensive effort by our team in a playoff game ever, period......

I give Boomer credit for saying it like it is, and straight up saying McDermott will have to answer some tough questions after the loss!

• Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

It's a classic McDermott tactical blunder.

And in a game THIS close, it will cost you the game.

We make some fundamentally WRONG DECISIONS in every game we play.

No excuse for that.

Get some smart people on the staff who can figure this stuff out.

Like Ph.Ds from Ivy league schools.

Yep but please tell me how firing him is an overreaction. 

I would need every player in that locker room to tell me "don't you dare." 

1 minute ago, Big Blitz said:

Yep but please tell me how firing him is an overreaction. 

I would need every player in that locker room to tell me "don't you dare." 

They are not firing him.  Quit being ridiculous.  The D had three chances to win this game and blew each one.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Simon said:

No squib, but the high hanger from Bass to the 5 that they've been covering perfectly all year was the call there.

McDermott doesn't make a lot of mistakes but that one was probably his biggest ever.

Agree high and short so they have to return it.  Squib kick, the #### doesn't start till KC player touches it and he could immediately give him self up.  So maybe end up with maybe one or two at most less seconds but ball at 35 to 40 instead.

Should have only rushed 2 or 3 at most, at that point, let Mahomes run around and kill clock

The days of a squib costing a team 3+ seconds are long gone. The chiefs would have fielded it on a knee or immediately kneeled. It wouldn’t have run any time off the clock unless they fumbled it. All it would have done is maybe given them better field position.

Nothing wrong with the kickoff. Maybe you go for a regular kick that comes up a little short of the end zone but in all likelihood they’d just let it bounce into the end zone for a touchback anyways.

The defense screwed up an easy situation for us. 

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, VaMilBill said:

Dumbest decision all night at the absolute worst time. It would have killed 4-5 seconds and given them about same field position. Stupid

Absolutely inexcusable, especially when they only needed a FG.

1 minute ago, DCOrange said:

The days of a squib costing a team 3+ seconds are long gone. The chiefs would have fielded it on a knee or immediately kneeled. It wouldn’t have run any time off the clock unless they fumbled it. All it would have done is maybe given them better field position.

Nothing wrong with the kickoff. Maybe you go for a regular kick that comes up a little short of the end zone but in all likelihood they’d just let it bounce into the end zone for a touchback anyways.

The defense screwed up an easy situation for us. 

They could have done that high short kickoff thing they've done all year, but I agree it really is on the defense.

Pretty much every person on the planet is wondering why we didn't squib or at least kick a short pop up. This is why Dermott will never be coach of the year. When I saw Hussey ignore blatant holding multiple times on Oliver in the first half I knew the inevitable. Gotta have some State Farm representation in the SB.

• Like (+1) 1

Agreed.  As bad as the defense was in the last :13, I could almost forgive an exhausted defense against a powerful offense.  I can't forgive stupid.  I don't understand how guys can devote their lives to a sport and then not know the simple things that any fan knows.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Plus if you squib with that little time someone on KC probably tries to be a hero and get a big return, which would run more time

If it’s a good squib, there’s also a chance it dribbles down inside the 10-yd line and they have to return it or get pinned way back.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.