Observations re the week 5 KC/Buff game

Miyagi-Do Karate

Went back and re-watched that KC/Buffalo game from earlier in the year, and it felt like watching two totally different teams. A few observations:

1) Zach Moss was the featured back and actually looked quite good at times. 

2) Our offense was very disjointed. It was really based on a handful of really huge plays. But outside of that, there were just lots of execution errors, penalties, and just not much steady movement. Bills didn’t have much success going to their receivers, even though Fenton was matched up on Diggs. 

3) Defense played very well, and was just super opportunistic. I totally forgot about the tipped ball, pick 6 by Micah Hyde. Then you had the spectacular tipped interception by Rousseau. 

4) Mahomes ran the ball a lot more than I recalled. We just dropped everyone back and bracketed Kelce and Hill often, and Mahomes was able to take off more than he normally does. He ended up with 8 Carries for 61 yards. 

5) Bills did a really nice job pressuring Mahomes with 4. Conversely, the chiefs (minus Jones) got very little pressure on Allen. 

Overall, I think what we will see this Sunday is a much better offensive performance, probably by both teams.  Both teams have really seemed to up their offensive execution. To me, the big question/maybe the deciding factor will be which defense can bring it and generate more big plays. 

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Went back and re-watched that KC/Buffalo game from earlier in the year, and it felt like watching two totally different teams. A few observations:

2) Our offense was very disjointed. It was really based on a handful of really huge plays. But outside of that, there were just lots of execution errors, penalties, and just not much steady movement. Bills didn’t have much success going to their receivers, even though Fenton was matched up on Diggs. 

3) Defense played very well, and was just super opportunistic. I totally forgot about the tipped ball, pick 6 by Micah Hyde. Then you had the spectacular tipped interception by Rousseau. 

4) Mahomes ran the ball a lot more than I recalled. We just dropped everyone back and bracketed Kelce and Hill often, and Mahomes was able to take off more than he normally does. He ended up with 8 Carries for 61 yards. 

5) Bills did a really nice job pressuring Mahomes with 4. Conversely, the chiefs (minus Jones) got very little pressure on Allen. 

Overall, I think what we will see this Sunday is a much better offensive performance, probably by both teams.  Both teams have really seemed to up their offensive execution. To me, the big question/maybe the deciding factor will be which defense can bring it and generate more big plays. 

Agree with all of this, and would add red zone scoring, special teams, and turnovers. Typical swing categories for a lot of games, but particularly when you have 2 teams that are as closely matched as these.

• Agree 4

I was at this game and I can tell you that if Allen ever made some of the throws Mahomes made, he'd never hear the end of it. The guy was missing wide open receivers ten yards away. Not sure if the Bills defense rattled him but he looked average at best. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

Personally, I'd like to see Mahomes rattled early in the 1st quarter, to help make him antsy for the rest of the game.  Perhaps, a sack by Ed Oliver that's so devastating, that Patrick has bones in his stool the next morning.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Other than the coaching staff and 17, I think the game will be won or lost by the DL.  If we do a good job of containing mahomes in the pocket and not allowing him to freelance while getting pressure, it’s an easy win imo.  If we aren’t disciplined in our rush lanes and he’s out and about running around, they’re gonna put up 35+ and it’ll be on 17 to do the same and score more points.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I felt diggs was getting mugged all game and they didn't call anything.  Sounds like this crew lets them play too, but these weren't like ticky tacky holds.  He was interfered with at the catch point on a couple 3rd downs with no call.  

First drive there were 2 ticky tack holding calls that benefited KC - the tre white one really wasn't that bad and converted a 3rd and 6 for them.  3 Points

On the 2nd drive for KC they got another conversion on 3rd down from a defensive holding on siran neal (who likely played more to be a combination with Klein as a 2nd LB).  7 points

Roughing the passer on Oliver wasn't a very good call from what i remember - on a 4th and 3 from the KC 32.  They didn't score on that drive but they were on the 8 yardline.  

DPI on tre white on next drive - 18 yards - kelce fell, i see why they called it.. but kelce initiated contact... 7 Points

17 points on penalty assisted drives... they thrive on those 2nd chances.  Buffalo had the big roughing the passer call on the interception that allen threw on the next drive... but Allen picked up the first down on 3rd and 9 and it was called back on holding... when there was literally no holding.  So that play imo should never have even happened.  

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

Other than the coaching staff and 17, I think the game will be won or lost by the DL.  If we do a good job of containing mahomes in the pocket and not allowing him to freelance while getting pressure, it’s an easy win imo.  If we aren’t disciplined in our rush lanes and he’s out and about running around, they’re gonna put up 35+ and it’ll be on 17 to do the same and score more points.

Agreed...We need Philips, Star, Oliver to provide inside pressure and don't give Mahomes the ability to hit on his screens.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, dneveu said:

I felt diggs was getting mugged all game and they didn't call anything.  Sounds like this crew lets them play too, but these weren't like ticky tacky holds.  He was interfered with at the catch point on a couple 3rd downs with no call.  

First drive there were 2 ticky tack holding calls that benefited KC - the tre white one really wasn't that bad and converted a 3rd and 6 for them.  3 Points

On the 2nd drive for KC they got another conversion on 3rd down from a defensive holding on siran neal (who likely played more to be a combination with Klein as a 2nd LB).  7 points

Roughing the passer on Oliver wasn't a very good call from what i remember - on a 4th and 3 from the KC 32.  They didn't score on that drive but they were on the 8 yardline.  

DPI on tre white on next drive - 18 yards - kelce fell, i see why they called it.. but kelce initiated contact... 7 Points

17 points on penalty assisted drives... they thrive on those 2nd chances.  Buffalo had the big roughing the passer call on the interception that allen threw on the next drive... but Allen picked up the first down on 3rd and 9 and it was called back on holding... when there was literally no holding.  So that play imo should never have even happened.  

Bills were effected in terms of win probabbility

2 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Agreed...We need Philips, Star, Oliver to provide inside pressure and don't give Mahomes the ability to hit on his screens.

Word.  I see plenty of screens on the horizon. How we defend them with be huge

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Personally, I'd like to see Mahomes rattled early in the 1st quarter, to help make him antsy for the rest of the game.  Perhaps, a sack by Ed Oliver that's so devastating, that Patrick has bones in his stool the next morning.

I'd be happier with bones in his stool during his 1/2 time dump!!!  What a great line...."Bones in his stool"!!!  Thanks for sharing that!

GO BILLS!!!

18 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Mahomes ran the ball a lot more than I recalled. We just dropped everyone back and bracketed Kelce and Hill often, and Mahomes was able to take off more than he normally does. He ended up with 8 Carries for 61 yards. 

😆 IIRC 

I saw a Sugar High Pat Mahomes making the rookie mistakes Josh did running back 15 yards and getting sacked 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.