Bengals Raiders Call Reminiscent of Bills Texans Playoff Call

st pete gogolak

Inadvertent whistle before play is over should result in a "do over".  That's the rule.  Yesterday in Raiders Bengals game, there was an inadvertent whistle clearly blown while ball was in the air.  Do over? Nope.  Bengals touchdown.  Refs ruled whistle was after play was completed but that was pure BS.  Someone said it was a "common sense" ruling.  That reminded me of second half kickoff in Bills Texans playoff game.  Texan returner failed to down ball.  Bills recovered and it should have been Bills touchdown or a safety.  Refs huddle.  Texan ball at the 25.  Why not enforce the rule.  Because "common sense" gives the ball to the Texans.  Shouldn't there at least be some guidance where "common sense" allows the referees to totally disregard the rulebook?  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 7

It's the NFL...where they define rules down to the most minute little detail and expect the rules to be followed to the letter...except when they don't.

I still believe the proper handling of the play in the Texans game should have been to follow the rules and call it a TD...then change the rules the following year so that kind of thing doesn't happen again, if they don't want it.

Same here. Follow the rules the way they're written...so it should have been a dead ball and do over. If they don't want that to happen, then change the rules during the offseason.

Unless there's some "common sense" part of the rule book I'm not familiar with...

Edited by Rubes
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

10 minutes ago, Rubes said:

It's the NFL...where they define rules down to the most minute little detail and expect the rules to be followed to the letter...except when they don't.

I still believe the proper handling of the play in the Texans game should have been to follow the rules and call it a TD...then change the rules the following year so that kind of thing doesn't happen again, if they don't want it.

Same here. Follow the rules the way they're written...so it should have been a dead ball and do over. If they don't want that to happen, then change the rules during the offseason.

Unless there's some "common sense" part of the rule book I'm not familiar with...

The thing that really pisses me off about he Texans game, was the returner was too lazy to take a knee or let the ball go out of the end zone. He didn’t follow the rules and the refs should have punished him for that snd called it a Td. 

I agree with your sentiment 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Agree 100%.  What a joke.

38 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Texans play should be been a safety for an illegal forward pass in the endzone.

The Cinci play , i don't know. The ball was almost in Boyd's hand when the whistle blew. It was boneheaded by the officials, but I don't think it affected the play at all. But that crew was awful all day.

22 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Only thing missing was the random refs in black windbreakers running onto the field.

What a screw job that was.

The 2 guys in black coats were there, meddling and changing calls. It’s a conspiracy I say, a conspiracy!

1 minute ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Had you ever seen that happen before, and have you seen it happen since?

Since last year, it appears that they’re present in every playoff game. I guess it’s something new that the NFL started in last years playoffs.

1 hour ago, st pete gogolak said:

Inadvertent whistle before play is over should result in a "do over".  That's the rule.  Yesterday in Raiders Bengals game, there was an inadvertent whistle clearly blown while ball was in the air.  Do over? Nope.  Bengals touchdown.  Refs ruled whistle was after play was completed but that was pure BS.  Someone said it was a "common sense" ruling.  That reminded me of second half kickoff in Bills Texans playoff game.  Texan returner failed to down ball.  Bills recovered and it should have been Bills touchdown or a safety.  Refs huddle.  Texan ball at the 25.  Why not enforce the rule.  Because "common sense" gives the ball to the Texans.  Shouldn't there at least be some guidance where "common sense" allows the referees to totally disregard the rulebook?  

Definitely different situations.  The Bills should have had the TD in the Texans game, it was the Texans player's error.  

In the Bengal / Raiders game it was the Ref's error.  The Raider's defender let up after he heard the whistle.  Should have been replayed.  

8 minutes ago, jethro_tull said:

Definitely different situations.  The Bills should have had the TD in the Texans game, it was the Texans player's error.  

In the Bengal / Raiders game it was the Ref's error.  The Raider's defender let up after he heard the whistle.  Should have been replayed.  

Whistle came way too late for it to have had any affect on the defender.  They had already given up on the play thinking the QB was out of bounds even without the whistle.

20 minutes ago, jethro_tull said:

I was just watching replays on youtube of "balls not dead". The texans one wasnt in there because it didnt count, but they counted so many others as live. Such BS. That wouldve likely sealed that game for us.

The funny thing about the whistle in the Bengals game was the "expert referee" commenting in the broadcast booth had the entire thing identified and correctly analyzed in 3 seconds, saying "NO TD" and it should be a do-over.

If he can sort it out that fast and accurately, why can't the official NFL system governing the game?

It's a joke.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

Texans play should be been a safety for an illegal forward pass in the endzone.

The Cinci play , i don't know. The ball was almost in Boyd's hand when the whistle blew. It was boneheaded by the officials, but I don't think it affected the play at all. But that crew was awful all day.

The officiating in that game was awful because it was a combo of 2 of the worst crews in the NFL, Booger & Hussey.  Rule 15 protects the NFL when they screw up. Anderson also refused to name the ref who blew the whistle.  The NFL totally walked it back like they always do to protect the shield. Inadvertent whistles are never reviewable by rule. But if the refs feel the inadvertent whistle happened early in the play they have the option to replay the down. It was a bonehead whistle but it still should've been a TD.

This is something I posted on the Washington Post site yesterday:

Two years ago, there was a playoff game between the Bills and the Texans. (Really, the Texans who are such a mess now were in the AFC Championship Game just two years ago.) The Bills were winning 13-0 at halftime, and they kicked off to start the second half. The Texans kick returner caught the ball in the end zone and then tossed the ball forward. This was not one of the ways a returner can get a touchback. The Bills recovered the ball. The Bills were awarded a touchdown by the ref on the field, although the proper call was probably a penalty for an illegal forward pass making it a safety. But those refs were talked into disregarding the NFL's rulebook, and awarding a touchback to the Texans. Instead of going up 19-0 or 20-0, or even 15-0 with a free kick coming, the Bills struggled in the second half and ended up losing in overtime to the Texans.

In the Bengals-Raiders game, the officials once again disregarded the rulebook and allowed the Bengals touchdown to stand.

In both cases, the officials inserted their own faulty judgment into the game, choosing to disregard the rules, and in both cases the home team got a huge unearned break. In both cases the visiting team lost a very close game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.