most underrated move by Beane during his time here

dave mcbride

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I never said they were going to try to trade directly up to #7.    At this point it was already commonplace for teams to trade up in steps.

Trading #21 and #22 would have been a whole lot more value than the Bills got trading down with KC the year prior so they were going to be able to get wherever they needed to reach #7 and do it with relative ease.    The problem would have been getting all the way to #2 or #3 overall.........which they were fortunate not to have to because some teams really drafted very shortsightedly in the top 6.

Here's an interesting twist to this...............because Eric Wood had to retire,  Incognito quit,  and Glenn was traded.........the Bills had an absolute train wreck on the offensive line in 2018.    Allen took a beating and since that OL was such a cluster*ck it really made it difficult for them to get a good read on the career outlook of a talented young guard who they stole in round 5 that year named Wyatt Teller.     

Beane subsequently traded the future All Pro guard for a late round pick the next summer.    Probably his worst individual move.

If the OL consists of Glenn as well Dawkins then perhaps they never deal Teller.   

Yeah the trade down with KC the year before was very bad value.  I suspect that had a lot to do with McD's relationship with Reid.  It didn't even come close to the value of the picks obtained, much less to get a franchise QB.  But just because McD agreed to it, it doesn't mean the Bucs would have agreed to something similar.

As for Teller, yeah, Cleveland got the better of that deal.  However I'll bet they would negate that trade and take Allen 1st overall if they could do it all over again. ;)

29 minutes ago, Doc said:

The Bills traded Cordy and #21 to the Bengals for #12 a month-and-a-half before the draft, in an attempt to go after Josh.  They were never planning on using both 1sts to get him/to #7, much less #12 (without getting a 2nd rounder in return).  So while I agree they had the draft capital to do it, I agree with david that I'm not sure Tampa moves out of #7 for #21 and #22.  And given they demanded both 2nd rounders, when one should have sufficed, means they needed to be forced to trade down even 5 spots.

As for Edmunds, he was a college OLB who they envisioned as their Brian Urlacher.  It hasn't panned-out that way. 

Tampa was apparently locked in on Vita Vea.

19 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Man, take it easy. I literally said that I misread what you were saying. Take the W with grace instead of doing the victory lap.  The Bills didn't have a top-of-the-first-half-of-the-first-round pick in a top-heavy draft and needed one to get Allen. They possibly could have traded both their firsts to get there. Instead, they unloaded Cordy Glenn. It was a great trade. Full stop, end of story. I honestly don't even know what you're arguing about. 

wwe-bo-dallas.gif

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, DCbillsfan said:

One of my favorite moves by Beane was trading Russ Bodine to the Cheaters for a 6th rd pick.  Bodine was cut about a week later.  I don't know who we got for it but like it anyway.

It was almost as good as getting a 5th rounder from them for Mike Gillislee.

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Honorable mention:  Same draft year...getting the first pick in the 3rd round for Tyrod Taylor from Cleveland.  Blew my mind someone gave us such a premium pick for a guy everyone knew we were likely going to cut.

And everyone knew that Cleveland had the 1st pick in the draft and was going to draft a QB and Tyrod was simply going to set the table. 

• Like (+1) 1

Will be hard to top getting a 3rd round pick for garbage QB.  One of the happiest days of my life as a Bills fan.  I was actually taking a crap when I found out.  I said to myself, "Look at that!  The Bills and I lost a piece of sh!t at the same exact time!"

• Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

Not trading for Antonio Brown has to be up there.

Thank the lord he wanted no part of Buffalo. There were other players the Bills went after and didn't get...things worked out.

For me, as good as that 3rd for Taylor was and moving on from Glenn with his bad foot.

I gotta say, a #1 pick for Stephon Diggs was simply brilliant IMO. That one move help propel Buffalo to the AFC Championship game. 13-3, #2 overall offense in 2020.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I gotta go with flipping Cordy Glenn and the #22 pick for Cincy's #12 pick before the 2018 draft. That was highway robbery and the single most important reason they were able to get Allen.

Excellent thread, dave mcbride! We did a lot of roster paring in anticipation of high picks in ‘18. So much so, this huge move sort of falls through the cracks in that whirlwind start of McBeane. We had enough good players I felt to compete, but the $$ was way out of whack! 

list of initial McBeane paring: (iirc)

Glenn

Darius

Darby

Gilmore

Carpenter

Goodwin

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.