Bears and Dolphins request interview with Brian Daboll

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea, fair point. There is a lot of that in what LaFleur runs. Rodgers moaned about it a fair bit the first year too.

It would not suit Allen.  I understand the benefit of a rhythm-based offense that makes runs and passes look nearly identical from the defense’s perspective, but Allen is at his best when he can improvise and go off-script.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

It would not suit Allen.  I understand the benefit of a rhythm-based offense that makes runs and passes look nearly identical from the defense’s perspective, but Allen is at his best when he can improvise and go off-script.  

Agree and while Aaron might win back to back MVPs in the system I suspect if you asked him honestly it wouldn't necessarily be his preferred style of offense. 

11 hours ago, Blainorama5 said:

DON'T go to the Dolphins Daboll!  Bears, that's fine.  Just not the Phins - have some dignity!

Not sure why he'd even wanna go to the Dolphins. You really wanna go to a team that just fired a decent coach after getting a team with a bad qb to 9-8?

22 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Not sure why he'd even wanna go to the Dolphins. You really wanna go to a team that just fired a decent coach after getting a team with a bad qb to 9-8?

I think the ideal situation is to go to a team that is hiring both a HC and GM (bears, Vikes) so you can go with a guy you are comfortable partnering with and knows what players you want and what scheme you run. Many times when there is only one opening, there is incongruency when the new guy comes in. Now I do think there is a potential for the teams that only fired one to get rid of the other if it’s a condition of the new hire (like when the bills initially kept Whaley and McDermott brought in Beane later). I could see that happening in Jacksonville and NYG.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think the ideal situation is to go to a team that is hiring both a HC and GM (bears, Vikes) so you can go with a guy you are comfortable partnering with and knows what players you want and what scheme you run. Many times when there is only one opening, there is incongruency when the new guy comes in. Now I do think there is a potential for the teams that only fired one to get rid of the other if it’s a condition of the new hire (like when the bills initially kept Whaley and McDermott brought in Beane later). I could see that happening in Jacksonville and NYG.

Yep. So could I. The reporting on Judge is very much "safe for now" but if say a Joe Schoen got that job and said "fire this guy I'm bringing in Daboll" I think they'd fire Judge. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Yep. So could I. The reporting on Judge is very much "safe for now" but if say a Joe Schoen got that job and said "fire this guy I'm bringing in Daboll" I think they'd fire Judge. 

I think that’s a decent fit too. Daboll might be able to get a bit more out of Daniel Jones as he does have some similarities at Allen and if not, you draft a guy. The nfc is going to be pretty wide open too in a year or so when Rodgers and Brady are gone. AFC has more elite young QBs. 

5 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Going for us -or against us per your POV, Daboll has enjoyed an impactful and successful career to date. Now finally back in his hometown where he just lost a loved one, I don’t think he’s interested in re-locating yet again. He may be forced to a make a decision at some time, but all things being equal ($$) I thinks he’s happy where he’s at. When he talks about WNY, you can hear the love he has for it, it’s history and neighborhoods and his family.

jmo

Just don't let him read TSW. 🤔

10 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

Coached him a lot longer than that, he developed him and wanted to play him over hurts but Saban wouldn't allow it until desperation hit. 

Not really. 30 minutes of game time. One season as a backup QB. I feel like this is going to be another constantly repeated yet over valued “connection” like last year’s “he went to HS with Tom Telesco and therefore is a shoe in for the chargers job”. One, he may have preferred Tua over Hurts for his offense years ago when they were college QBs but that doesn’t mean he’s an NFL “Tua guy”. He may have simply felt limited with Hurts in the passing game as he struggled to throw downfield. Also, the dolphins owner didn’t commit to Tua as their QB going forward so I don’t think it will be as big of a factor as some are making it out to be. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

13 hours ago, Blainorama5 said:

DON'T go to the Dolphins Daboll!  Bears, that's fine.  Just not the Phins - have some dignity!

I don't think I would go to the Dolphins in his position considering how they ditched Flores and he looked like he was helping that team improve

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

So if a team hires away a minority coach away from a team they have to give up two 3rd round picks, but if they hire away a white coach, they give up nothing?  How exactly is this supposed to encourage minority coach hirings?  

No team gives up picks but the team he came from would gain two picks.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

I don't think I would go to the Dolphins in his position considering how they ditched Flores and he looked like he was helping that team improve

No team gives up picks but the team he came from would gain two picks.

Ok thanks.  That makes much more sense 

13 hours ago, Florida Bills Fanatic said:

I'm guessing that Ken Dorsey would be the most likely replacement.  If he isn't, the Bills will lose him too.  The transition to Dorsey would be an easy one.

This - if we lose Daboll it should and likely will be Dorsey. Question is whether he chooses to leave with either Frasier or Daboll if hired as OC with them. My hopes would be the Bills promote him and block a horizontal move, but think they’d ultimately let him choose. If this happens I like Nagy coming in as QB coach for when Dorsey leaves, unless he gets hired as OC/HC elsewhere.

More interesting question is who steps into DC if Frasier goes.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.