Bears and Dolphins request interview with Brian Daboll

YoloinOhio

8 hours ago, BillsFan692 said:

Tua stinks daboll wont make him good. Its insane to me how much credit dough ball gets for Josh Allens magnificence.

Personally i think josh is magnificent inspite of daboll not because of him!

Until we see Allen with a different OC, we won't really know how much influence Daboll had (or didn't have) in terms of Allen's development and success.

It's pretty clear that one of the main reasons Flores was fired in Miami is the QB situation and obviously ownership and front office believes Tua is their guy so if Daboll goes there and he looks like a different QB he'll be considered a genius.

15 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Until we see Allen with a different OC, we won't really know how much influence Daboll had (or didn't have) in terms of Allen's development and success.

It's pretty clear that one of the main reasons Flores was fired in Miami is the QB situation and obviously ownership and front office believes Tua is their guy so if Daboll goes there and he looks like a different QB he'll be considered a genius.

If if if... daboll been elsewhere before with mediocre results. Im sure in some ways Daboll has helped allen mature into a true pro but I tend to think Allen is elevating daboll more so then the other way around. I say thay while acknowledging it is a reciprocal exchange but not necessarily an even one.

Edited by BillsFan692

43 minutes ago, BillsFan692 said:

If if if... daboll been elsewhere before with mediocre results. Im sure in some ways Daboll has helped allen mature into a true pro but I tend to think Allen is elevating daboll more so then the other way around. I say thay while acknowledging it is a reciprocal exchange but not necessarily an even one.

Daboll definitely deserves credit for the development stage. He never tried to hide Josh Allen. He said we are going to let this kid throw it and live with his mistakes while he learns. IMO that is the only effective way to develop QBs in the modern NFL. Hiding them behind a power run game is so 2005. These days they are gonna have to stand there and sling the rock and you don't do that handing off 40 times. 

But in terms of the relationship now? Allen elevates Daboll, for sure. Daboll is generally a better OC than a lot of Bills want to give credit for but Allen makes this offense work. No question about that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, BillsFan692 said:

If if if... daboll been elsewhere before with mediocre results.

Specifically on this bit - while that is true (in fact some of his results were worse than mediocre) the talent he had elsewhere didn't even meet the threshold of mediocre. Put it this way, the 2019 Bills with a sophomore quarterback, a 1-2 punch of Brown and Beasley at wideout, a 1-2 punch of Singletary and old man Gore at running back and no tight end was, without question, the most talented NFL offense he had ever coordinated to that point. Even the last two years, look at where the Bills offensive guys came from... there is one 1st round draft pick - Josh - and they have produced top 5 offenses. I agree that more of that credit belongs to Josh Allen but you don't do that with a coordinator who is as terrible as some Bills fans want to believe Daboll is. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 1/12/2022 at 10:54 AM, thenorthremembers said:

As a Bills' fan I am mentally preparing myself to see Daboll go to the Dolphins.  The hire makes too much sense.  He has worked with both Chris Grier, and Tua at times during his career.   Moreover, hiring him away from the Bills hurts an in division rival.

It makes sense for the Fins, but Daboll is a lifelong Bills fan, so he may not want to go to a division rival. Given a choice between the Bears, where he'd only face the Bills once every 4 years, or the Fins, where he'd face the Bills twice every year, he'd probably pick the Bears. (And from an organizational standpoint, both teams are inept with questionable QB situations, so it's a wash.)

I'm sure Daboll helped Josh a lot in the first couple of seasons but Josh is going to be entering his 5th year as a starting NFL QB.  I think he can stand on his own.

The truth is that Josh ends up making something out of nothing so often, it almost doesn't matter what play gets called because it usually ends up looking completely different.  I think Josh is OC proof at this point.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

27 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I'm sure Daboll helped Josh a lot in the first couple of seasons but Josh is going to be entering his 5th year as a starting NFL QB.  I think he can stand on his own.

The truth is that Josh ends up making something out of nothing so often, it almost doesn't matter what play gets called because it usually ends up looking completely different.  I think Josh is OC proof at this point.

Also, might not be the worst thing in the world for Josh to have a new voice in the room and fresh set of eyes. After a while there isn't much more he could learn off Daboll.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/13/2022 at 4:33 AM, GunnerBill said:

Daboll definitely deserves credit for the development stage. He never tried to hide Josh Allen. He said we are going to let this kid throw it and live with his mistakes while he learns. IMO that is the only effective way to develop QBs in the modern NFL. Hiding them behind a power run game is so 2005. These days they are gonna have to stand there and sling the rock and you don't do that handing off 40 times. 

But in terms of the relationship now? Allen elevates Daboll, for sure. Daboll is generally a better OC than a lot of Bills want to give credit for but Allen makes this offense work. No question about that.

They make each other better, but Allen so frequently reaching into his posterior and pulling out something amazing is what makes our offense special.  It’s the unscripted stuff that elevates that side of the ball. 

On 1/10/2022 at 9:22 PM, Devilmann said:

I wish teams had to wait till a team is done with the playoffs to interview any of the coaches. 

They would have to push everything back and they are unwilling to do so just as they have been unwilling to move schedule earlier to season before Labor Day weekend.

9 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

They make each other better, but Allen so frequently reaching into his posterior and pulling out something amazing is what makes our offense special.  It’s the unscripted stuff that elevates that side of the ball. 

Daboll is so used to having an idea and just calling Josh up to discuss it I wonder if he would call Josh by reflex even if he is no longer OC of Bills.

I also wonder when NFLPA will stick nose in saying that contact between QB and OC is not allowed during off season per rules.

2 hours ago, WhoTom said:

It makes sense for the Fins, but Daboll is a lifelong Bills fan, so he may not want to go to a division rival. Given a choice between the Bears, where he'd only face the Bills once every 4 years, or the Fins, where he'd face the Bills twice every year, he'd probably pick the Bears. (And from an organizational standpoint, both teams are inept with questionable QB situations, so it's a wash.)

He used to coach for New England (2000-2006, 2013-2016), NJJ (2007-2008), Miami (2011) and NE South (2017).  

I do not think he would hesitate working for a team just because the team is in AFC East.

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

He used to coach for New England (2000-2006, 2013-2016), NJJ (2007-2008), Miami (2011) and NE South (2017).  

I do not think he would hesitate working for a team just because the team is in AFC East.

True, but he was still establishing himself at that time. He's now a prime HC candidate currently working for his hometown team, so he'll probably choose carefully rather than taking the first offer. Plus, the Dolphins are a train wreck of an organization. I know - so are the Bears. And so are most of the teams currently looking for a HC, but some situations are more favorable than others. With the Fins, the division rivalry is just another checkmark in the "cons" column, but it's certainly not the only one.

On 1/13/2022 at 4:33 AM, GunnerBill said:

remember when we were like 30th in attempts and folks were saying Daboll let Allen throw too much. Lol

On 1/13/2022 at 5:58 AM, GunnerBill said:

Specifically on this bit - while that is true (in fact some of his results were worse than mediocre) the talent he had elsewhere didn't even meet the threshold of mediocre. Put it this way, the 2019 Bills with a sophomore quarterback, a 1-2 punch of Brown and Beasley at wideout, a 1-2 punch of Singletary and old man Gore at running back and no tight end was, without question, the most talented NFL offense he had ever coordinated to that point. Even the last two years, look at where the Bills offensive guys came from... there is one 1st round draft pick - Josh - and they have produced top 5 offenses. I agree that more of that credit belongs to Josh Allen but you don't do that with a coordinator who is as terrible as some Bills fans want to believe Daboll is. 

Some folks overestimate the talent on our offense. They think a great QB and a great WR means #1 or #2 offense in the NFL, but unfortunately there are other great QB’s and great WR’s GROUPS in the league who are actually overall better than the Bills talent. 

We may be like 4 or 5 in offensive talent in the NFL, tbh. Maybe even 7.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.