The good and the bad (just one each) for you in this game

Italian Bills

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

No one can watch today and say Josh had a good game.

I can.  I must be older then you because I remember the wind games in Rich Stadium.  The definition of a good game in those conditions is different then it is on a windless, dry field or in a dome.

What I don't get is how you can't see that this was a good game by Allen.  Not great, but good. 

*  QB rating over 80 which is good, not great.

*  No TO's which is great.

*  Two TD passes and Allen almost had two more is good, not great.

*  234 yards passing is good not great.  Especially under the wind conditions.

*  63 yards rushing is great. Especially since it was mostly in the 4th quarter to put the game away.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I can.  I must be older then you because I remember the wind games in Rich Stadium.  The definition of a good game in those conditions is different then it is on a windless, dry field or in a dome.

What I don't get is how you can't see that this was a good game by Allen.  Not great, but good. 

*  QB rating over 80 which is good, not great.

*  No TO's which is great.

*  Two TD passes and Allen almost had two more is good, not great.

*  234 yards passing is good not great.  Especially under the wind conditions.

*  63 yards rushing is great. Especially since it was mostly in the 4th quarter to put the game away.

Well, I was at the first home game in the Rockpile in  1960, so I remember wind games in both stadiums.  He was not reading his receiver’s routes well, missed some throws.  The game should have been over by halftime.

I love Josh, I think he’ll win a Lombardi for us.  He just has not been sharp two games in a row.  That is concerning.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Well, I was at the first home game in the Rockpile in  1960, so I remember wind games in both stadiums.  He was not reading his receiver’s routes well, missed some throws.  The game should have been over by halftime.

I love Josh, I think he’ll win a Lombardi for us.  He just has not been sharp two games in a row.  That is concerning.

I agree it's crazy to skew reality into this being a good game for Josh--it wasn't.

The question is how much blame should he take for it?  And how much was caused by the wind.

Right after the game one of the Bills players (Poyer?  Can't remember now) said the wind in the game was AS BAD as the MNF game against the Patriots.

Like it was a major factor, all game long.  If that's true, it takes Josh off the hook in my mind.  

10 hours ago, 947 said:

The Good: Josh's lateral to Knox to get both the first down & out of bounds... and it worked! That was a high IQ play.

The Bad: The miscommunication by the WRs/TE. We've had at least 5 plays in the past 2 games where Josh throws to one spot and the receiver goes the opposite direction. That has to get fixed.

Yeah, it doesn’t make sense for that miscommunication in Game 17.  All these guys have been together for a couple seasons 

9 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Think Allen needs to learn to take something off the fastball.  It may be OK in September an October, but with a wet, cold, hard ball coupled with a receivers wet cold hands just doesn't work well.    But hard to say if Allen did take something off on some of those passes, would he have been able to get the ball to where it needed to get to?

It is hard to take something off because then the wind drives the ball.  The throws downfield - both with and against the wind - when he tried to throw a touch pass - the ball got away to the sidelines - pushing both Diggs and Davis OOB.  The throws on a rope - got to the spot he wanted, but on a cold, wet day are hard to catch.

It is very hard to find the right balance in weather like that.  He takes something off on the throws to Davis and the Ball moves - especially on throws into the wind and to the right.  Those throws were most impacted and were the most common to Davis.  The throws to the right that worked were the rope to Diggs for the TD and the Rope to McKenzie for the first down - both on plays he scrambled to the right making the passes more straight on throws.

That wind was no joke and played havoc with the passing attack as seen by the with the wind versus the into the wind splits.  It affects how Josh has to throw, where he can throw, and the touch he can use and it also impacts the WRs and how routes are run - leading to some issues.

38 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

It is hard to take something off because then the wind drives the ball.  The throws downfield - both with and against the wind - when he tried to throw a touch pass - the ball got away to the sidelines - pushing both Diggs and Davis OOB.  The throws on a rope - got to the spot he wanted, but on a cold, wet day are hard to catch.

It is very hard to find the right balance in weather like that.  He takes something off on the throws to Davis and the Ball moves - especially on throws into the wind and to the right.  Those throws were most impacted and were the most common to Davis.  The throws to the right that worked were the rope to Diggs for the TD and the Rope to McKenzie for the first down - both on plays he scrambled to the right making the passes more straight on throws.

That wind was no joke and played havoc with the passing attack as seen by the with the wind versus the into the wind splits.  It affects how Josh has to throw, where he can throw, and the touch he can use and it also impacts the WRs and how routes are run - leading to some issues.

Agree, taking something off changes alot on the throw.  I wasn't talking about the long passes though, more the 5 to 10 yarders, one dropped by Diggs, think was in the end zone, and another short one to Beasley.  But understand about the wind too.

10 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Think Allen needs to learn to take something off the fastball.  It may be OK in September an October, but with a wet, cold, hard ball coupled with a receivers wet cold hands just doesn't work well.    But hard to say if Allen did take something off on some of those passes, would he have been able to get the ball to where it needed to get to?

This was my thought exactly.

I know the conditions are windy, but in those conditions he has to learn to throw with less zip and a bit more touch. I'm sure it's really a hard thing to do - you want to get the ball through the wind but you can't make it such a fastball. Hopefully Josh will learn how to do that and it will give the Bills an even greater advantage in windy home conditions - so far his development has not disappointed and this is just another thing he needs to develop.

Edited by The Avenger

Good - I thought the offensive play calling was decent in this one except for..... the Bad- why don't we run Mc-Z on the jet sweep more often!?  I don't understand it.  Get the ball in his hands more.  That play has rarely been called all year.  It worked almost every time we ran it last year. 

The good:  the pass rush.  It won us the game.  Without it, we may have lost.

The bad:  josh throwing from the pocket 🤮 our boy was awful.  If you’re not even a little bit worried about his passing performance the last 2 games (at home, if the wind and cold), you’re drinking too much koolaid.  He was facing the vaunted falcons and jets defenses…….35 out of 71 for 359 yards, 2 TDs, 3 Ints.  

Now we play the Pats.  Luckily for us, they have Macnchz, but josh still must step up his game.  

11 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

That's not going to happen mainly because you don't want to mess with Bass WRT holder.  Unless they go as far as signing a punter, but keeping Haack just for holding.

I will say this in the middle of the 3rd quarter, I went to Spotrac to see if the Jets punter would be a free agent at year end, 2 years remaining.  But then watched the Jets punter in Q4 and he didn't look that much better than Haack.  So maybe conditions were much worse than most realize.

In those windy conditions, the ball would be blown all over if Allen doesn't throw heaters.  If you are going to pass in those conditions, that is how you do it.  Unfortunately, it does make the ball harder to catch.

17 minutes ago, NewEra said:

The good:  the pass rush.  It won us the game.  Without it, we may have lost.

The bad:  josh throwing from the pocket 🤮 our boy was awful.  If you’re not even a little bit worried about his passing performance the last 2 games (at home, if the wind and cold), you’re drinking too much koolaid.  He was facing the vaunted falcons and jets defenses…….35 out of 71 for 359 yards, 2 TDs, 3 Ints.  

Now we play the Pats.  Luckily for us, they have Macnchz, but josh still must step up his game.  

Of course something to think about and to work on… and it’s not that he didn’t have time to throw,,,  Maybe, on the field, the wind was that bad that on TV or in the stands we can’t feel ? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.