Black Monday(UPDATED: Fangio OUT; Zim & Spielman OUT; Nagy & Pace OUT; Flores OUT; Judge OUT; Culley OUT)

GunnerBill

13 minutes ago, Beerball said:

Yes, and Rodgers makes Nathaniel look good. Things balance out.  How good was Daboll prior to working with Allen? I remember many here bemoaning his hire because he hadn't done anything.  But, the fact remains that Marrone is an idiot.

Marrone made a stupid decision to hire Hackett knowing full well that he didn't have an experienced QB. Then EJ himself turned out to be terrible which didn't help matters. The prudent thing to do would have been to hire an experienced OC and support a young QB. To compound matters, didn't Hackett try the no huddle when neither the QB , OL or receiving corps were proven?

As for Hackett in GB, I am willing to give him the benefit of doubt and say that his experience post-Marrone supported by a great QB and good RBs has made the Packers offense potent

Edited by Fan in Chicago
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Carroll appears to need another stint in college to refresh his approach.

He is 70. He needs a stint on a beach sipping cocktails. 

10 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

I dont fully disagree with your argument here, but to say Rex wasnt good at teaching the scheme is a bit obtuse, especially when comparing him with Belichick.    Rex's defensive units had an average rank of 13 during his tenure, Belichick's all time average is 8, they arent worlds apart in terms of defensive outcome.   I think Rex's media personality gets in the way of what a talented defensive coach he actually was. 

Rex Ryan quit coaching about 4 years before the NFL realised. That was the issue. He was in his prime a very good NFL defensive mind. But the league moved on and Rex didn't because he was exhausted after his first few years with the Jets. He half assed it there at the end of his time and then half assed it in Buffalo with a scheme and plays that teams had got a beat on and were no longer really suitable for the modern NFL (witness Mike Nolan trying to run basically the same defense in Dallas last year and then the massive jump this year with essentially the same personnel (minus Parsons) but Dan Quinn's scheme) . 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

He’s a really good DC but I don’t know if/how his scheme aligns with Mcdermott’s

He'll be tied to wherever Jim Harbaugh goes. Probably Chicago or Vegas.

We implement some of the same coverage philosophies but I don't think Fangio would ever take a job where he wasn't the #1 defensive voice/decision maker in the room. And he won't be that here. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, BrooklynBills said:

We implement some of the same coverage philosophies but I don't think Fangio would ever take a job where he wasn't the #1 defensive voice/decision maker in the room. And he won't be that here. 

Yea there is a fair amount of coverage concept read across. The way they design and coach their fronts is very different. 

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Yea there is a fair amount of coverage concept read across. The way they design and coach their fronts is very different. 

Yeah. It's definitely just not really a fit. 

I'm calling it now: Aaron Rodgers, Jim Harbaugh, and Vic Fangio will be a package deal in the off-season.

On 1/6/2022 at 10:56 AM, GunnerBill said:

He is 70. He needs a stint on a beach sipping cocktails. 

I watched the Jets/Bills clip from 93 that someone posted in the pregame thread and had to smile when they showed Carroll on the sideline as Bruce Coslett's DC for the Jets. Some of these guys have been around forever

15 minutes ago, BrooklynBills said:

Should he end up on the raiders with harbaugh, he will already be familiar with that division too

Harbaugh in Jacksonville with Lawrence is a great fit.  This needs to happen but the team might be gun shy about another high profile guy from college ranks even though Harbaugh has NFL experience and success.

That division is ripe for the taking too, you think he wants to go to Vegas and go against Mahomes and Herbert every year? No way.

IMO Chicago is the worst job on the table because you are going to have to make it work with Fields who I don't think is an NFL caliber QB.

• GunnerBill changed the title to Black Monday is coming....(UPDATED: Fangio OUT))
55 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

I watched the Jets/Bills clip from 93 that someone posted in the pregame thread and had to smile when they showed Carroll on the sideline as Bruce Coslett's DC for the Jets. Some of these guys have been around forever

So have many of us here. 😀

Though, it seems like just yesterday that I was a student at UB, eating "breakfast" at this cheap little joint in Amherst listening to the greatest comeback game on the radio (it was blacked out on TV).

1 hour ago, Houston's #1 Bills Fan said:

I wonder if the Bronco's hadn't lost yesterday and beaten the Chiefs, would this still be happening? 

I would hope so.  You don't initiate a regime change over a single game.

Well, unless you're the drought era Buffalo Bills.

1 hour ago, RobbRiddick said:

Carroll was the Bills DB coach in 1984. We were a wonderful 2-14 that year, with the 27th ranked defense.  That performance gave us the ability to draft Bruce, so something good came out of it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.