Bringing Josh Allen along slowly - Always the debate

Billsfan1972

I know I was very vocal that I thought McD and the Bills really brought him along too slow and what we saw in 2020, we could have seen more of in 2018 & 2019.

Look it is water under the bridge, but seems every time it's discussed there is always a debate and those backing the Bills (and McD's decisions) will always go on about how raw Allen was.

I was looking up Kyler Murray in another thread talking about Allen's 20 Rushing/100 Passing TDs in the first 4 seasons and Kyler Murray may duplicate it next year.  

Then looked at Murray's College stats, vs. Josh's and was so surprised how little Murray played in college and very similar totals.  

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/josh-allen-7.html

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/kyler-murray-1.html

And there was no question Kyler was the QB and given free reigns from day 1.

Again just something I found interesting......  Flame away.

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 7
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 3

3 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I know I was very vocal that I thought McD and the Bills really brought him along too slow and what we saw in 2020, we could have seen more of in 2018 & 2019.

Look it is water under the bridge, but seems every time it's discussed there is always a debate and those backing the Bills (and McD's decisions) will always go on about how raw Allen was.

I was looking up Kyler Murray in another thread talking about Allen's 20 Rushing/100 Passing TDs in the first 4 seasons and Kyler Murray may duplicate it next year.  

Then looked at Murray's College stats, vs. Josh's and was so surprised how little Murray played in college and very similar totals.  

Kyler Murray won a Heisman his only year starting . . The experience may have somewhat been the same but the outcomes weren't

And he went to a much better offense and offensive system 

Josh had garbage around him coming into the league with not a lot of experience

Josh got help and he looked good

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

How can anyone seriously say Josh was brought along too slowly when he finished opening day in 2018 & was starting by the 2nd game of the season?  He was thrown to the wolves on a team with one of if not the worst WR & OL groups in the entire NFL as a rookie.  The only games he didn't play in was due to an injury.  He has played every game since.  

While I thought he should have started from day 1 as a rookie, starting by day 2 was good enough for me.  The majority of fans wanted him to sit for at least half the season.  Nobody except the OP thinks he was brought along too slowly.  What were the coaches supposed to do, open the playbook when there were no complimentary pieces?  

COME ON MAN!  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Confused Gary Coleman GIF

4 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

*ad nauseam*

By your response, I'm pretty sure you knew what I meant.

However, it is always nice to have the grammar and spelling police patrolling the boards to catch those little unintentional mistakes. Keep up the good work!

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Playing time definitely factors in to this discussion… but raw doesn’t just have to do with playing time. Level of competition in college, level of coaching, level of coaching HS, outside QB camps, etc. 

Kyler was a 5-star recruit that was exposed to high level football and coaching much earlier than Josh. There was a lot that Josh still had to figure out when he got to the NFL. 

16 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Kyler will also likely have to throw for ~30 TDs for the first time in his career to reach that mark. 

I for one have never seen this brought up once in the last three or four years. Just kinda seems like OP was sitting there thinking “how can I make a thread where people will pay attention to me under the guise of a Josh Allen debate?” 

You know, you can just post and interact with people and not play this heel role like it’s professional wrestling. 

I get it’s kinda your schtick but the thing about schticks are they become tiresome and have an expiration date if you use them too often. 

When posting a thread, if you feel you have to use the “flame away” line you’re kinda giving it away that you yourself know it’s ‘look at me, hot take’ territory. 

And if I’m playing this game right… get defensive away! 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

How was Josh Allen brought along slowly?

Yep I was vocal early on that Peterman was named the started, and so thankful game 1 was vs. Baltimore and he lasted one half.  

I continually was yes upset at how bad the offense was around him and yep the inability to do what every team in the league is able to do every year, which is have a QB throw for 300 yards in a game (all except the Bills of course, who went 3 years).....

I just thought it was an interesting comparison, but obviously there's always excuses for the Bills & McD.

Maybe as a Bills fan, I always looked at it with rose coloured glasses, but I was going to cheer Allen on from day 1 and wanted to see him perform.  

And yes this was debated a lot in 2018 & 2019.

But yep keep the excuses coming as to why Kyler could be "fast-tracked" and Allen could not.

• Vomit 1

I’m confused. Seems JA was brought along rather effectively. By every measure and eye test he’s a top 5 QB in this league currently. His peers from the same 1st round are not remotely where he is ( except Lamar). With respect to Lamar likely every GM in the NFL would take JA over Lamar  for next ten years. 

KM is a fine QB who as the season progresses.. regresses. And has yet to get in or win a playoff game. That doesn’t mean he won’t. JA has been developed masterfully by the Bills imho!

Just now, Billsfan1972 said:

Yep I was vocal early on that Peterman was named the started, and so thankful game 1 was vs. Baltimore and he lasted one half.  

I continually was yes upset at how bad the offense was around him and yep the inability to do what every team in the league is able to do every year, which is have a QB throw for 300 yards in a game (all except the Bills of course, who went 3 years).....

I just thought it was an interesting comparison, but obviously there's always excuses for the Bills & McD.

Maybe as a Bills fan, I always looked at it with rose coloured glasses, but I was going to cheer Allen on from day 1 and wanted to see him perform.  

And yes this was debated a lot in 2018 & 2019.

But yep keep the excuses coming as to why Kyler could be "fast-tracked" and Allen could not.

Well why don’t you break down exactly why Josh COULD be “fast-tracked” or whatever? 

You just said the offense was bad around him… well there’s a reason he couldn’t be 2020 Josh Allen right there out of the box and you admitted it. 

They’re not excuses? You asked for REASONS why Murray could be fast-tracked and Allen could not. 

You seem to live in a very strange world. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, QLBillsFan said:

I’m confused. Seems JA was brought along rather effectively. By every measure and eye test he’s a top 5 QB in this league currently. His peers from the same 1st round are not remotely where he is ( except Lamar). With respect to Lamar likely every GM in the NFL would take JA over Lamar  for next ten years. 

KM is a fine QB who as the season progresses.. regresses. And has yet to get in or win a playoff game. That doesn’t mean he won’t. JA has been developed masterfully by the Bills imho!

Of course he has, and again no way of knowing if they were a little more liberal with the play calling or got him another weapon or two early on, how much better he could be.