OT: Would you support a Buffalo spring football team?

PromoTheRobot

5 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Nah. 

It it were a farm league system, then I could see interest. The problem is that a FREE NFL farm league already exists for them within the NCAA 

If you had a league where it was basically a B team like in soccer, I'd take some interest because you'd at least get excited about finding some diamonds in the rough. They could hold a second draft as well after the main one instead of having all the undrafted free agents.

I'd enjoy that I think. Something like the world league though? Nah. Having that direct connection to the Bills would make me interested enough to keep watching 

On 12/31/2021 at 12:07 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

USFL is relaunching this spring and the XFL is supposed to restart in 2023. Both have discussed new cities. How would a spring football team do in Buffalo? 

These teams are mostly in warm weather cities. But since we don't care about bad weather in Buffalo, how would a team do here? 20K would be considered very good attendance. Do we love football (and tailgating) enough to do it in the spring too?

Hell no.  Part of the reason why Spring leagues don’t work is that you need somewhat of a reprieve from sports.  The off-season, gives fans a re-charge while anticipating builds for the start of a new year. 

How many failed leagues have to created and closed before people understand?  

If anything, I think a product like the Arena League had the right idea by offering a product that was a little different from traditional NFL/college football

6 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Hell no.  Part of the reason why Spring leagues don’t work is that you need somewhat of a reprieve from sports.  

A reprieve from a sport played once per week? :lol:

As soon as football ends.....in addition to following the draft/FA..........I start following NCAA hoops,  NBA and NHL a little closer and a couple weeks later I am watching MLB spring training games.    

I know there are people on here who just follow the NFL because of the Bills..........we have a contingent of that at our tailgate and that's always going to be a % of NFL fans...........but there is no need for reprieve from sports for real fans of it.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/31/2021 at 3:39 PM, First Round Bust said:

But where would a Buffalo-based team play if cant swing a deal at the Bills stadium or UB ?

I can't imagine not being allowed in Highmark or UB stadium, but there are other options.  All High in North Buffalo or Buff Sate Stadium are two. Then there's Veterans/Ron Jaworski Stadium in Lackawanna. You only need room for about 10,000 fans.

But in order to have a chance of working, you have to play at Highmark.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Absolutely I’d be interested in a Buffalo alternate football team. Even more so if it was a “minor league” team affiliated with the team. I honestly wish the NFL had a minor league. There are enough college football cast offs that don’t get drafted/signed that would still make things interesting. Even backyard football keeps me interested. 

3 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Absolutely I’d be interested in a Buffalo alternate football team. Even more so if it was a “minor league” team affiliated with the team. I honestly wish the NFL had a minor league. There are enough college football cast offs that don’t get drafted/signed that would still make things interesting. Even backyard football keeps me interested. 

Now you are onto a different topic altogether, but it's interesting.

I think an NFL minor league would be really interesting.  And it would open up the door for NFL teams to bring in and develop talent in a different way.  It would be better for players in general.

Think of the QBs that could be drafted and sent to the minors, waiting for the surprises to emerge.

The NFL might even pick up a few QB stars that way, with guys no one ever thought would make it.

On 12/31/2021 at 7:35 PM, No Place To Hyde said:

I'd watch out of curiosity and at least give it a chance to capture my attention. 

Smartest thing they could do is sign Duke Williams, Antonio Williams and Christian Wade. Bills fans would show up in droves.

And Michael Jasper.

7 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Yep. Some people complain that the talent level is not worth watching, but it's pretty much the same as your average college game. And in the case of a minor league, these are players we'd be invested in as part of the Buffalo Bills. We'd actually get to see guys like Wade, Hodgins, and Fromm playing pro-style football. I think one rule would be that the minor league team has to run the same playbook as their NFL affiliate.

18 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I think an NFL minor league would be really interesting.  And it would open up the door for NFL teams to bring in and develop talent in a different way.  It would be better for players in general.

Think of the QBs that could be drafted and sent to the minors, waiting for the surprises to emerge.

The NFL might even pick up a few QB stars that way, with guys no one ever thought would make it.

Honestly a minor league NFL would do wonders for NFL teams and fans. I’d run the league from February to July, and at the end of the minor league season, players can be invited up camps and sent back down. Let practice squad players/draft picks play in the minors in the offseason if they want the extra practice for real live experience. 

The NFL makes a ton of money now, they could easily support a minor league team. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills

29 minutes ago, Freak-O said:

And Michael Jasper.

Mike Jasper is doing very well coaching college football.

Had a very nice conversation with him.

19 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Honestly a minor league NFL would do wonders for NFL teams and fans. I’d run the league from February to July, and at the end of the minor league season, players can be invited up camps and sent back down. Let practice squad players/draft picks play in the minors in the offseason if they want the extra practice for real live experience. 

The NFL makes a ton of money now, they could easily support a minor league team. 

And to encourage teams to get domes only NFL teams with domes could get teams.

NFL Fair Weather League

On 1/1/2022 at 9:48 AM, BADOLBILZ said:

A reprieve from a sport played once per week? :lol:

As soon as football ends.....in addition to following the draft/FA..........I start following NCAA hoops,  NBA and NHL a little closer and a couple weeks later I am watching MLB spring training games.    

I know there are people on here who just follow the NFL because of the Bills..........we have a contingent of that at our tailgate and that's always going to be a % of NFL fans...........but there is no need for reprieve from sports for real fans of it.

I could literally tune in and watch a football game 365 days a year. Any other sport and eventually I would grow tired, but not football. 

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

There's a reason why the NFL will never own or cooperate on a minor/feeder program: not enough money in relation to the liability. CTE is already a problem for the NFL. They aren't going to volunteer for more liability in a minor league.

That said, they would not say no to an independent circuit that develops talent. There will never be another 1980's USFL-type league that outbids the NFL for talent. So the NFL has no fear from the new USFL or The Rock's XFL coming in 2023. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.