We are 4 plays away from being 13-2.

JÂy RÛßeÒ

15 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

People usually don't want to talk about how small of a sample size 16 or 17 games is for evaluating the quality of a football team based on their record, and how hugely variance plays into this, more so than a 162 game baseball season or 82 game hockey/basketball season.

This is why peripheral statistics are way more useful in football in terms of making predictions than in other sports.  I guarantee you that Vegas sharps don't see a 9-6 team when they look at the Bills.

And people that watch the games know we don't have a #1 defense.   I agree the team is better than 9-6 and they can win the SB if Allen plays nearly flawlessly.   There is still virtually no pass rush, White is out for the year, and the quality of QB play in the playoffs will be far greater than what the Bills have faced in the regular season.  

1 hour ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

The only 2 losses we didn't have a late shot at were Pittsburgh and Indy.  Against Jacksonville, Tennessee, New England, and Tampa Bay we had the ball late with a shot at taking a lead if not a walk-off win.

I could make a case and point at one play in the Pitt game that probably changes the outcome of the game...the punt block for a TD.  But since it cant for sure be known (we were still down by 3 when we attempted the punt), I agree with leaving it out of the list as "one play away" from only 2 losses.  

2 hours ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

The only 2 losses we didn't have a late shot at were Pittsburgh and Indy.  Against Jacksonville, Tennessee, New England, and Tampa Bay we had the ball late with a shot at taking a lead if not a walk-off win.

yup. I said as much 2 / 3 weeks ago. (meaning 2 losses)

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Woulda, shoulda, coulda.......

I am only 4 inches, 50 pounds, 13 combine reps, and a 1.5 second decrease in my 40 time away from being an elite NFL wide receiver.

CRAP

Edited by Nextmanup

2 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

And Josh had the opportunity to close the deal on every one of those but failed to do so. Once he can execute successfully in those situations, he’ll be unmatched as a QB. 

I don't agree with 3 out of 4 of those. Against the Titans he slipped after getting us in position for the win. One could argue he actually got the first down the play before which was originally called a first down and the changed on the field.

Vs Patriots the first time, was more so about bad playcalling from Daboll. Allen made some excellent throws into the wind and if Diggs doesn't drop the deep TD that was right in his hands, we probably would have won the game

Vs the Patriots, neither him nor the offense or team for that matter played well at all. Allen played his heart out in the second half and willed the team to be able to tie it up. The defense gave up the big TD in OT. 

The only game I will agree with you on was the Jaguars game which he played bad. But I think putting this on him for all of these games is harsh. You have to take into account every factor

1 hour ago, BillsfaninSB said:

That Jacksonville loss is still mind blowing to me.  Doesn’t seem real. 

Yeah I was there and still can't believe it. I still think it being time change weekend has something to do with it.  Whole team was flat.

12 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

I don't agree with 3 out of 4 of those. Against the Titans he slipped after getting us in position for the win. One could argue he actually got the first down the play before which was originally called a first down and the changed on the field.

Vs Patriots the first time, was more so about bad playcalling from Daboll. Allen made some excellent throws into the wind and if Diggs doesn't drop the deep TD that was right in his hands, we probably would have won the game

Vs the Patriots, neither him nor the offense or team for that matter played well at all. Allen played his heart out in the second half and willed the team to be able to tie it up. The defense gave up the big TD in OT. 

The only game I will agree with you on was the Jaguars game which he played bad. But I think putting this on him for all of these games is harsh. You have to take into account every factor

I didn’t say he played badly. I stated a fact - in each case, he had the team in position to win the game at the very end and failed to complete the drives with TDs. You can “if and but” all you want, but the fact is Josh will need to make more of those plays at the end of games to achieve greatness. 

We should be 12-3. No way we should ever lose to teams like Jags & Steelers. I can tolerate a slip or a stupid wind game but these 2 cost us a shot at the #1 seed. The Bucs simply had the NFL refs to guide them thru on the Diggs PI. That's ok, we can still get a division title and make a run. Lots parity in both conferences. 

3 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

I didn’t say he played badly. I stated a fact - in each case, he had the team in position to win the game at the very end and failed to complete the drives with TDs. You can “if and but” all you want, but the fact is Josh will need to make more of those plays at the end of games to achieve greatness. 

He's already great

1. Slipped 

2. Diggs drop

3. Brought the team back from 21 down practically by himself

Not sure why this is on him

3 hours ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

You should have take the skirt off   Would have gotten us the wins. 🤓

3 hours ago, eball said:

I hear ya, man, but there are probably a lot of other teams who can make similar claims.  Bottom line -- we EXPECT to be in every game.  It shouldn't be a surprise.  The record is what they deserve based upon how they've played.  The good news to me is that I think the team "woke up" as a whole during halftime of the TB game.  In the 10 quarters since -- 88 points, 7 punts, 1 turnover.

Wow, thanks for sharing the numbers. That’s incredible.

I felt like they woke up in the second half of the Tampa Bay game too. While I didn’t like the loss, I wasn’t too concerned because I thought I saw something they could carry over for the rest of the season.

These numbers are eye-opening and help prove what I was sensing. Thanks again for sharing, eball.

7 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

He's already great

1. Slipped 

2. Diggs drop

3. Brought the team back from 21 down practically by himself

Not sure why this is on him

Because great QBs get the credit for game-winning drives.  It’s how pro football works.

Brady never had excuses  - he just won. Same with Montana. They found ways to win. If Josh is going to be up there with all-time greats like those guys, he’ll have to seal the deal more often than not. 

Josh found a way to get a critical game-sealing TD against the Pats. That’s what he has to do when the game is on the line and the Bills need a TD or FG to win it. 

6 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Because great QBs get the credit for game-winning drives.  It’s how pro football works.

Brady never had excuses  - he just won. Same with Montana. They found ways to win. If Josh is going to be up there with all-time greats like those guys, he’ll have to seal the deal more often than not. 

Josh found a way to get a critical game-sealing TD against the Pats. That’s what he has to do when the game is on the line and the Bills need a TD or FG to win it. 

You're putting too much emphasis on this. Allen is great. Plenty of those games are coming

3 hours ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

there were a few places in each loss.

Pittsburgh… defense blocked punt TD in 4 th. Some TD passes missed 

Tennessee…. Penalty turned a TD into a FG, a penalty killed a TD return, a pick gave them 7, long TD run,  Last offensive play.

Jacksonville…penalties killed drives and turnovers Killed points

New England…the wind. Missed a FG changing things. D gave up a running TD.

Tampa Bay…late no PI call.  Failed drive when they got ball first.

Indy…this came down to the fumbled KO TD. That didn’t happen and they get a FG it gets to 17-13 with buffalo getting the KO in the 2nd half. A very different game occurs.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.