Move Tremaine Edmunds to DE next season.

r henderson

4 hours ago, r henderson said:

He has the same frame as TJ Watt. Both guys are 6’5 250ish. Also Edmunds is much more athletic than Watt. Edmunds forty time is 4.54 compared to Watts 4.69. Long arms with great get up of the edge. Played the position in high school along with TE. He only seems to get up with blockers when is 5 yards off the line of scrimmage. When he’s right on the line of scrimmage he generally handles blockers well. I believe that is his true NFL position. 

If you’ve seen Edmunds blitz or take on blockers you know why this is not a good idea.  He would suck

• Like (+1) 2

On the third play from scrimmage last Sunday vs. New England (3rd and 10), TE fires through the A gap untouched. Brandon Bolden steps up in the pocket to pick him up. Edmunds has a full head of steam. Bolden is 5-11 220, about 6 inches shorter and 30 pounds lighter than TE. I thought Edmunds was going to steamroll him and either sack Jones or totally disrupt the play. Instead, he kind of lets up, gets stonewalled and even gets pushed back a few yards. That was a great spot for him to make a splash play and set the tone. But he came up so flat on that play. I'm not saying he had a bad game, I think he had a nice game. But I don't see him bull rushing or running around any NFL offensive tackles. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I wish they used him to blitz more. I think he’s fine where he is, it is just difficult to quantify his value. I think he does what the team asks him to do. I think he’d make a million plays in a Baltimore type attacking 3-4. 

That said, that tipped pass play that AJ Klein made was all instinct and I am not sure Tremaine will ever make that type of play. I hope he does. 

Can you explain why you think it was “all instinct”? Genuinely interested in your response.

26 minutes ago, ßookie_tech said:

On the third play from scrimmage last Sunday vs. New England (3rd and 10), TE fires through the A gap untouched. Brandon Bolden steps up in the pocket to pick him up. Edmunds has a full head of steam. Bolden is 5-11 220, about 6 inches shorter and 30 pounds lighter than TE. I thought Edmunds was going to steamroll him and either sack Jones or totally disrupt the play. Instead, he kind of lets up, gets stonewalled and even gets pushed back a few yards. That was a great spot for him to make a splash play and set the tone. But he came up so flat on that play. I'm not saying he had a bad game, I think he had a nice game. But I don't see him bull rushing or running around any NFL offensive tackles. 

If you're referring to the play where Oliver got the sack please read here for more understanding of what actually happens when you blitz/rush an interior gap.

2 hours ago, JohnNord said:

If you’ve seen Edmunds blitz or take on blockers you know why this is not a good idea.  He would suck

Good blitzers and good LOS pass rushers aren't the same.

A lot of the best blitzers are small and excel by getting under or being out of the reach of OL.

LOS pass rushers win in entirely different ways.    

Edmunds has shown flashes of play making ability when aligned outside at the LOS........SF game last year was an example.........but he's rarely used that way.

Edmunds is doing a better job blitzing this year but he's not very good at it.    Last year he was putrid........like 74 blitzes and wasn't credited with even 1 pressure.:lol:

3 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

If you're referring to the play where Oliver got the sack please read here for more understanding of what actually happens when you blitz/rush an interior gap.

Yeah I saw that post. He lost his first move? But what was his first move? It should have been a bull rush and plow right through Bolden to the QB. But he didn't really do anything. There was a big play there to be made and he didn't deliver imo. 

• Like (+1) 1

@r henderson .. definitely an out of the box thought.. and it is good to think outside the box … but I suspect while physically you are correct he could fit the role, rushing the passer is a weakness for him. Plus given he made the Pro Bowl one year and is an alternate this year, his agent may balk at the switch

1 minute ago, ßookie_tech said:

Yeah I saw that post. He lost his first move? But what was his first move? It should have been a bull rush and plow right through Bolden to the QB. But he didn't really do anything. There was a big play there to be made and he didn't deliver imo. 

He did try to bull rush - lost the leverage battle - that's gonna happen quite a bit when you're 6'5" unfortunately. That's why they hardly blitz him - he's not good at it. Dude frequently loses the leverage battle and gets stood up. Hope reading that post clears up the back half of that play from him though.

He’s not getting moved to another position. Edmunds is literally a perfect fit for this defense in the role he’s in currently. 

It’s ridiculous that after three years of watching him play 1gap fundamentals to a T there are still people who question his ‘instincts’🤦‍♂️

Edmunds isn’t going to leave his assignment in run fits to try to make some play outside his responsibility because he’s not coached to. Nobody on the defense is. In base we are small and fast and that means unless everyone is fundamentally sound in the run game it breaks down.

8 hours ago, r henderson said:

He has the same frame as TJ Watt. Both guys are 6’5 250ish. Also Edmunds is much more athletic than Watt. Edmunds forty time is 4.54 compared to Watts 4.69. Long arms with great get up of the edge. Played the position in high school along with TE. He only seems to get up with blockers when is 5 yards off the line of scrimmage. When he’s right on the line of scrimmage he generally handles blockers well. I believe that is his true NFL position. 

His worst trait is his inability to disengage from blockers. A position change to DE would force him into this position on every play. It’s true he’s athletic and long framed but his best ability is his range from sideline to sideline. It would be nice to better exploit his superior athleticism unfortunately I don’t think it would translate. 

9 hours ago, r henderson said:

We could have had Watt but we drafted Tre'Davious White.

Whatever happens with Tremaine it's clear he's not a very good football player. Sure, he's a freak athlete with freakish measurables and all the right intangibles, except the one that he needs more than all of the rest. He has poor football instincts. If you watch his run defense it's mind numbingly bad. If there's a hole to shoot, gap to plug, running back to stop he nearly always makes the wrong call. The amount of times he just runs out of place or out of the way is infuriating. He has poor instincts (in the run game) and/or poor vision on a level that just can not be corrected at or on this stage in his career. Tremaine is not the answer and should not be resigned.

• Like (+1) 1

Man, I've never seen fans hate on an everydown LB of a #1 defense as much as Bills fans hate on Edmunds.

HE'S 23! He's a freak. He's played 4 years. The Bills defense ranks 2, 3, 14, and 1.

We don't have A DL that dominates the line of scrimmage or eats blocks. 

When I think of Edmunds all I think about is he still can get better. He hasn't peaked yet.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.