Are the Patriots a rival?

Success

Bills and Patriots have an interesting history. When both teams were dominating the other was mostly terrible. There were a few games that all revolved around Bledsoe with the Pats and with the Bills when they may have been rivals. 

Patriots during the last 20 years had only a few rivals and they were Steelers, Colts, and whichever NFC team made the SB.

• Thank you (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Yeah but the Bills were like especially the Patriots whipping boy.  Tom Brady only lost two legit games to Buffalo, one in 2003 and the other one in 2011.  

Miami at least had a winning home record vs the Patriots in that span 

Brady was 24-12 against the Dolphins …….a winning home record means what exactly? Talent wise the Dolphins were a better team than the Bills during that span…..easier to attract free agents down to South Beach than Orchard Park.

29-7 vs Jets

12-3 vs Colts

9-0 vs Falcons

7-1 vs Browns & Bengals

6-0 vs Cowboys

6-0 vs Vikings

9-3 vs Steelers 

7-2 vs Chargers

6-2 vs Ravens

Looked like everybody got that work against the Patriots not just us lol

51 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Bills and Patriots have an interesting history. When both teams were dominating the other was mostly terrible. There were a few games that all revolved around Bledsoe with the Pats and with the Bills when they may have been rivals. 

Patriots during the last 20 years had only a few rivals and they were Steelers, Colts, and whichever NFC team made the SB.

Giants*

Or just call it the manning family if you want.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

This is correct. At least for the past 20 years or so. Hopefully times are a changing. 

The funny part is Pats "fans" are such pathetic frontrunner bandwagon types.

I can almost guarantee the average Bills fan knows more about the Pats history than their own supporters. Steve Grogan, Andre Tippett, Garin Veris, Fred Marion, et al are probably complete unknowns to the average chowderhead.

I really don't care what Pats fans say or think.  

My biggest concern with regard to this is what the Bills players think.  Except for last year, the Bills almost always lost to the Pats.  The Pats were less of a rival than a looming spirit of doom, printed in Gothic script on their calendars.  Even in the occasional close games we found a way to lose (Leodis, thinking of you) or get robbed (just give it to them).  Last year was great, and then this year we get Hurricane Belichick shutting down our passing game -- could it be that the curse isn't from Foxborough but is actually a force of nature?  I hope the recent game doesn't infect the minds of the Bills, getting them thinking that the Pats are just better and will always be, no matter how good we are.  

The only real solution to this inferiority complex will be consistent wins in our games.  Plus of course winning the division when they don't.

GO BILLS.

18 minutes ago, buffblue said:

The funny part is Pats "fans" are such pathetic frontrunner bandwagon types.

I can almost guarantee the average Bills fan knows more about the Pats history than their own supporters. Steve Grogan, Andre Tippett, Garin Veris, Fred Marion, et al are probably complete unknowns to the average chowderhead.

Looks like your awareness of good Pats players starts well after the beginning of the AFL.  Don't forget Jim Nance, Babe Parilli, Gino Cappelletti, and Nick Buoniconti.

Gauging anything by Pats fans sentiment is foolish. They are a fan base of tools. We could beat them for 10 straight years and they'd still be smug and delusional. They live in their own reality.

A rivalry is not between fans and fans anyway.

I don't really consider the Pats and Bills rivals other than the fact they are in the same division. I think true rivalries need to go back and forth. One team could have a stretch of dominance for a bit, then the other. Both teams should be somewhat equal.

I think going forward it could turn into a rivalry. If the Bills and Pats are both 1st and 2nd in the division each year and the division is hotly contested, and they have a playoff match or two, it will be a full blown rivalry in a couple of years.

8 hours ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

There’s no organization I hate more in all of sports. It’s sad the bills let them run train on us over and over again. The bills have no one else to blame but themselves for that from 2001-2020

Eh, we beat them twice in 2020.  Let's not give Belichick too much credit.

I think there's potential for a rivalry over the next decade if Belichick and McDermott stay that long.  Mac Jones is better than Bills fans want to admit and we know Josh Allen is a QB that gives you the chance for the Super Bowl every year.

43 minutes ago, mattynh said:

But generally every Pats fan thinks Buffalo is a joke...at least until recently.

Just like we thought the Pats were a joke in the late 80's and 90's

Bears 46 Pats 10 super Bowl 20 Jan 26th 1986

It wasn't as close as the score sounds ;) 

11 rushes for 7 yds ;) 

123 total yds ;) 

20 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

Just like we thought the Pats were a joke in the late 80's and 90's

Bears 46 Pats 10 super Bowl 20 Jan 26th 1986

It wasn't as close as the score sounds ;) 

11 rushes for 7 yds ;) 

123 total yds ;) 

I dont get your point.  So 3-4 decades ago, you are quoting stats from a SB that had one of the most dominant teams playing a cinderella team that had almost no business being in the game.    The reality is a rivalry has to have some level of competitiveness and Bills/Pats have never had that.  We have that now and if the Bills lose Sunday it will not be good in terms of bragging rights.

1 minute ago, mattynh said:

I dont get your point.  So 3-4 decades ago, you are quoting stats from a SB that had one of the most dominant teams playing a cinderella team that had almost no business being in the game.    The reality is a rivalry has to have some level of competitiveness and Bills/Pats have never had that.  We have that now and if the Bills lose Sunday it will not be good in terms of bragging rights.

When my fave team gets called a joke I get defensive ;)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.