TBN: Buffalo Bills fans donated $442,000 to Dalton Foundation. Nearly $100,000 went to management firm

YoloinOhio

PSA: no paywall through Christmas 

https://buffalonews.com/news/local/buffalo-bills-fans-donated-442-000-to-dalton-foundation-nearly-100-000-went-to-management/article_c8c1585a-2311-11ec-aac4-abdc78c021a3.html

A monthslong investigation by The Buffalo News found that nearly a quarter of the money – about $100,000 – went to the company that managed the nonprofit, a far larger share than is customary, according to industry experts.

The management company, Prolanthropy LLC, has helped create and operate dozens of nonprofit organizations for professional athletes since 2008. But its fees, while legal, are "wildly out of line," according to nonprofit oversight attorney Andrew Morton and other industry experts. Those fees drain resources from the people a nonprofit aims to help.

9 month investigation

no fault of the Daltons

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Shocked 1
  • Angry 8
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, damj said:

Yeah, disappointing, but the Daltons didn't realize and they quickly dumped the management company. 

Sadly. This is typical of many charities 

Ya unfortunately it is. Our hearts were in the right place though and even though it's bs that it didn't all go to charity, what bills mafia did is still amazing 

Edited by Steptide
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 8

5 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

Most are like this. Nonprofit doesn’t mean no profit, it means no tax.

It’s best to donate locally to a foundation that gives 90- 100% proceeds to the cause. 

I think that's exactly what they mean but what it doesn't mean is that everyone involved are unpaid volunteers.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo619 said:

Impulsive donations lead to wasted dollars.  

Exactly.  Instead of being this “look at us” fanbase, maybe people should take a quick peek at the charity.   

Not sure if I donated to this, but if so, shame on me.  All the subsequent “cutesy” movements have been ignored by me.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Dislike 1

10 minutes ago, Buffalo619 said:

Most are like this. Nonprofit doesn’t mean no profit, it means no tax.

It’s best to donate locally to a foundation that gives 90- 100% proceeds to the cause. 

This was the middleman company that did the administrative work setting up the fund. There’s no indication from the report that the nonprofit itself was pocketing funds. This administrator just charged ridiculous fees. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

Unfortunately it makes me question all athlete/celebrity fronted charities.  Seems they just decide “Hey, I need a charitable organization, but I can’t do any research or legwork except use my name and face to front the organization” …. Then they hire companies like this to run it at ridiculous cost.  I guess I would blame the Daltons for their naivety.  I’ll give locally, thank you.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Unfortunately it makes me question all athlete/celebrity fronted charities.  Seems they just decide “Hey, I need a charitable organization, but I can’t do any research or legwork except use my name and face to front the organization” …. Then they hire companies like this to run it at ridiculous cost.  I guess I would blame the Daltons for their naivety.  I’ll give locally, thank you.

No offense, but the people in Cincinnati (my former home) DID give locally. They just gave to an inefficient organization. If I send $17 (or some other nominal amount) to some foundation I’m not bothering to research to facts. I’m doing it to play along and hope it’s not too much of a mess. 

Whether it is local or not does not determine whether it’s a sound group to help fund. Others have said they prefer local as well, and I get that to some degree. But I prefer a good cause that is well managed as my top priority. 

Edited by Augie

Pretty depressing article though it does make sense a bunch of young millionaires with little experience handling things on that scale are a ripe target for people to take advantage of.

Positive note Josh Allen's charitable efforts have been with the Oshie's Children Hospital which has a rate of 97%

• Like (+1) 6

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

No offense, but the people in Cincinnati (my former home) DID give locally. They just gave to an inefficient organization. If I send $17 (or some other nominal amount) to some foundation I’m not bothering to research to facts. I’m doing it to play along and hope it’s not too much of a mess. 

Whether it is local or not does not determine whether it’s a sound group to help fund. Others have said they prefer local as well, and I get that to some degree. But I prefer a good cause that is well managed as my top priority. 

I’m not blaming fans for not researching the organization over a nominal donation, but I do believe that the daltons should have looked a little deeper into a company that they trusted to run their charity. 

2 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:
9 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m not blaming fans for not researching the organization over a nominal donation, but I do believe that the daltons should have looked a little deeper into a company that they trusted to run their charity. 

I absolutely get that! At the same time, a lot of good still came from it and they thought they were doing a positive thing, which they were. They got taken advantage of which does not make them bad people. Unaware, but they had good intentions. I didn’t care enough to click and read, but I think someone posted that they made a change when they became aware. Live and learn.   🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.