AFC Wildcard Rooting Interests Week 15

EmotionallyUnstable

17 hours ago, Billznut said:

Yes. For some reason multiple people here haven’t grasped this yet. This was discussed in a different thread Thursday night and even today we still have posters wanting the Pats to beat the Colts. It doesn’t make sense at all. 

I think people grasp it.  I just dont think those people believe we can beat the Pats.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Billznut said:

Yes. For some reason multiple people here haven’t grasped this yet. This was discussed in a different thread Thursday night and even today we still have posters wanting the Pats to beat the Colts. It doesn’t make sense at all. 

You could make the case this team has a better shot at making the Super Bowl as a WC team.

-It's highly unlikely we get the #1 seed if we win the division so we're going to have to win three straight to make the Super Bowl no matter what.

-There won't be much difference in quality of teams from seeds 1 to 7 as the AFC is wide open.

-We rely more on the pass than any other AFC team and our stadium is the windiest on average in the NFL.

-We've played better on the road this year and across the league home teams are just 103-104-1 this year.

-This team embraces the underdog mentality and seems uncomfortable as front runners.

It would be nice to win the division but I just want to get in so I'm not going to lose sleep if the Pats beat the Colts on Saturday.  Just find a way to get into the dance.

-

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

At first I was with the pats lose vs the colts and bills win next 2 to reclaim the division crowd, but I don't mind a pats win as well I guess since colts play arizona next week for another L to knock em out po's. And pats can still lose to miami while bills can claim division

Edited by motorj

18 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I didn’t see a thread from @SlimShady'sSpaceForce on match-ups. 

With the Thursday night game in the books, here is a look at the AFC win/losses of teams that are hanging around (not seeded, just records)These picks are specifically assuming a race for the Wildcard: 

KC 10-4.  (Week 15 complete)

NE 9-4

TEN 9-4

BALT 8-5 

LAC 8-6. (Week 15 complete)

IND 7-6

DEN 7-6

CLV 7-6

CIN 7-6

BUF 7-6 

PIT 6-6-1

LVR 6-7

MIA 6-7

There are a ton of good games this week (NFC too!) with undoubtable playoff implications. I have bolded the teams who I think we want to win . Take a look: 

SATURDAY:

Browns (7-6) vs. Raiders (6-7)

Patriots (9-4) vs. Colts (7-6)

SUNDAY EARLY:

Titans (9-4) vs. Steelers (6-6-1)

Jets (Dumpster Fire) vs. Dolphins (6-7)

Bills (7-6) vs. Panthers (NFC, idk/idc)

SUNDAY LATE:

Bengals (7-6) vs. Broncos (7-6)

Denver has three tough games left (Raiders, Chargers, Chiefs) 

Packers (NFC, idk/idc) vs. Ravens (8-5)

This would have the standings following week 15 looking like this:

Division Leaders (not seeded)

KC 10-4.  

NE 10-4

TEN 10-4

BALT 8-6

Wildcard (not seeded)

LAC 8-6. 

DEN 8-6

BUF 8-6

In the hunt (not seeded)

IND 7-7

LVR 7-7

CLV 7-7

CIN 7-7

PIT 6-7-1

MIA 6-8

GO BILLS!!!

The Jets beating the Dolphins?  Highly unlikely.

Either outcome has potential benefits for the Bills. But I want NE to lose everytime they play, so I'll be rooting hard for the Colts.

My opinion on the games:

SATURDAY:

Patriots (9-4) vs. Colts (7-6) ... Colts win by 10+, M Jone is finaly exposed for the mediorcicy he is.

SUNDAY:

Titans (9-4) vs. Steelers (6-6-1) ... A Steelers loss give the Bills a little more wiggle room

Jets (Dumpster Fire) vs. Dolphins (6-7) ... Fins will win, which is good for the Bills as with each win the NE game in week 17 gets more and more important 

Bills (7-6) vs. Panthers (NFC, idk/idc) ... JUST WIN!

Bengals (7-6) vs. Broncos (7-6) ... either helps, and both are going to lose another game or two.

Packers (NFC, idk/idc) vs. Ravens (8-5) ... Pac all the way, even with Lamar the Ravens are falling.

MONDAY:

Browns (7-6) vs. Raiders (6-7) ... Either outcome can be good, but I think Raiders take the COVID depleted Browns, and no sympathy here, any time Baker loses its a good day

Edited by CSBill
  • Like (+1) 1

On 12/17/2021 at 7:02 AM, No Place To Hyde said:

That Pats/Colts game really should tell us our best shot at seeding. Pats win and our only hope is to win out and hope the Dolphins beat the Pats again in the final week.

Colts win and we control our own destiny to the AFCE title.  I'm pulling for the Colts here since division is still in play and I feel like the Bills stand a great shot at winning out.

We don't have to win out if the Patriots win tonight

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

You could make the case this team has a better shot at making the Super Bowl as a WC team.

-It's highly unlikely we get the #1 seed if we win the division so we're going to have to win three straight to make the Super Bowl no matter what.

-There won't be much difference in quality of teams from seeds 1 to 7 as the AFC is wide open.

-We rely more on the pass than any other AFC team and our stadium is the windiest on average in the NFL.

-We've played better on the road this year and across the league home teams are just 103-104-1 this year.

-This team embraces the underdog mentality and seems uncomfortable as front runners.

It would be nice to win the division but I just want to get in so I'm not going to lose sleep if the Pats beat the Colts on Saturday.  Just find a way to get into the dance.

-

Very well said!

20 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

The young draft choices certainly haven't delivered. Epanesa just plain sucks. Oliver is Ok but not consistent or dependable. Certainly, not living up to his draft pick. Is Basham even on the team? Who is he? Hughes is pathetic and getting top dollar to do nothing. Rousseau flashed early and has now disappeared. Edmunds is terrible and not a starting lb. Star is often injured and not reliable. Besides Allen, Beane and the Bills brass has largely whiffed. However, getting the franchise QB is undeniable the biggest and most influential game changer. It was a brilliant risk reward scenario. You gotta give them credit beyond words. It almost makes you forgive their misses which every team has. 

Everyone thought Knox was a bust too.

Bottom line, the 1st and 2nd yr guys should be given until their 3rd year to be passing ultimate judgment.  Ford, fine, certainly looks like a bust...Oliver has been very good, not great always

It's way too early to proclaim anything on these young DL, certainly not going to say they whiffed yet.  Josh blossomed into a MVP candidate, top 5 QB, so darn right Beane and staff deserve major kudos, beyond "almost makes you forgive them" status.  

This team needs to get the killer instinct down the stretch, we've lost 5 games that were 1 score heading to the 4th qtr...could be a diff season when a couple bounce our way or we get a key call.  Until then, we are 7-6 and still in the hunt for a division title.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Really depends…. If they win out absolutely, regardless of if they win the division or not…..Not sure 10-7 gets it done to be honest. The Chargers are a lock for one WC spot and if Colts win tonight I expect them to get to 10-7, and I expect at least one of the Bengals/Ravens/Browns to get to 10 wins. If two of them do, Bills are out of a playoff spot assuming they go 10-7 as well. 

I don't think the Chargers are a lock........they are a very flawed team that has to play balls-to-wall aggressive to cover for their terrible defense.

And the Bills have a significant schedule advantage over those AFC North teams.    The combination of opponents and divisional familiarity is such that it wouldn't even be a shock if 9-8 won that division.

47 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Really depends…. If they win out absolutely, regardless of if they win the division or not…..Not sure 10-7 gets it done to be honest. The Chargers are a lock for one WC spot and if Colts win tonight I expect them to get to 10-7, and I expect at least one of the Bengals/Ravens/Browns to get to 10 wins. If two of them do, Bills are out of a playoff spot assuming they go 10-7 as well. 

That would really be devestating. 

56 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I don't think the Chargers are a lock........they are a very flawed team that has to play balls-to-wall aggressive to cover for their terrible defense.

And the Bills have a significant schedule advantage over those AFC North teams.    The combination of opponents and divisional familiarity is such that it wouldn't even be a shock if 9-8 won that division.

Chargers are a very good team. I think they are very dangerous. They have two remaining games  the Broncos and Raiders which will not be easy. Agree they aren't a lock. As for flaws, they aren't good at stopping the run, have a young inexperienced coach, and they just seem a little green. However, I would argue that the Bills are a more flawed team then the Chargers. The Chargers Oline is much better than the Bills. The Chargers have a guy named Eckler who is very dynamic and knows how to score tds. The Bills don't have anyone close to his caliber. Also, their pass rush with a healthy Bosa is much better than the Bills. Charger team is formidable and arguably a better team than the Bills. 

Edited by newcam2012

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

they said the same about the Bills Jags game too. 

I mean true enough...but the Fins have quietly put together quite the winning streak themselves. I believe second only to the Pats right now.

On 12/17/2021 at 6:02 AM, No Place To Hyde said:

That Pats/Colts game really should tell us our best shot at seeding. Pats win and our only hope is to win out and hope the Dolphins beat the Pats again in the final week.

Colts win and we control our own destiny to the AFCE title.  I'm pulling for the Colts here since division is still in play and I feel like the Bills stand a great shot at winning out.

True. If the Pats lose to the Colts & then lose to the Bills the following week, they'd be 9-6 with a Division record of 3-2 while the Bills would be 9-6 with a 4-1 Division record going into week 17.

Then in week 17, the Bills play the Falcons (at Home) & the Pats play the Jags (at Home). Nothing is a given, especially with the Bills, but on paper we should both be heading into week 18 sitting at 10-6.

Finally, Bills close out at home against the Jets, Pats finish on the road against the Dolphins. A lot could go right or wrong for both, but the Bills appear to have a better chance. Of course, all this changes if the Pats beat the Colts, or if the Bills lose to the Pats the following week. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.