Ken Dorsey better then Daboll?

Thriftygamer83

1 hour ago, MJS said:

The speculation was always that Dorsey was being groomed to be the next OC. But other than people guessing, I don't think we have any actual info on that, do we?

We always knew Daboll was a question mark, Dorsey was silently being elevated, and working on his creds with Buffalo.  I don't really see why people are raising a stink when it was known we'd hired him if Daboll was being given consideration for any future head coaching jobs.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

The speculation was always that Dorsey was being groomed to be the next OC. But other than people guessing, I don't think we have any actual info on that, do we?

I'd say his promotion to passing game coordinator last spring was a strong indication that the Bills saw him as their OC in waiting. As for whether he will be any good at it, we simply have no way of knowing either way. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

People criticized Culley and think Dorsey is this quarterback whisperer

There's nothing that shows that he's a high class assistant.. and he's actually had a record of mediocrity

I don't think he's bad but I think it's crazy to think he's this hidden QB whisperer 

He made Christian Ponder serviceable for the Vikings that should say something.  

25 minutes ago, Thriftygamer83 said:

He made Christian Ponder serviceable for the Vikings that should say something.  

Dorsey never coached for the Vikings. His two coaching stops are Carolina and Buffalo. Or are you talking about his short stint at IMG?

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd say his promotion to passing game coordinator last spring was a strong indication that the Bills saw him as their OC in waiting. As for whether he will be any good at it, we simply have no way of knowing either way. 

In your viewpoint, has the design of the passing game this season vs. last season improved, stayed the same, or regressed?

9 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

In your viewpoint, has the design of the passing game this season vs. last season improved, stayed the same, or regressed?

I think it is really difficult to judge because there are just so many plays where I don't think it ended up anything like it was drawn up due to protection break downs. My instinct is to say slightly regressed - I don't know where the crossers have gone they were among our best plays last year. That would be my knock. Is that on Dorsey? Who the hell knows? 

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think it is really difficult to judge because there are just so many plays where I don't think it ended up anything like it was drawn up due to protection break downs. My instinct is to say slightly regressed - I don't know where the crossers have gone they were among our best plays last year. That would be my knock. Is that on Dorsey? Who the hell knows? 

That last is my opinion as well - not just the crossers, but the rub plays that get people open, the creative use of pre-snap and post-snap motion to create flow, etc etc.

I don't know the reasons or who it's "on".  It could be correlation with Dorsey's promotion, and not causation.

But it's not a positive sign that the pass game has evolved positively IMO

I'm on the fence regarding Daboll. On one hand, I think he was instrumental in bringing Josh up to speed much faster than anyone anticipated, through play design and play-calling. On the other hand, it seems like he may have reached a plateau in the play-calling department, but I can't be sure if it's the plays or the execution. Either way, I don't know whether Dorsey would be better, but with his elevation to passing game coordinator, it does appear that he's being groomed for the OC position. I'll trust McD to make the right call on that, if and when the time comes.

20 hours ago, Thriftygamer83 said:

When we first landed Ken Dorsey my mind flashed back to his success on the field.  Now, fast forward, a Quarterback whisperer, who was going to be leading the team as an OC one day, and what we are seeing is that Dorsey has refined the passing game to such a degree that he's looking more and more like he's growing into implementing his own system and play calling.  Dorsey has an inside track to the job and what more could be said about his body of work?  With a strong interest for the Hurricanes job I say we hurricane up and pay the man for his work.  McDermott watched him groom Allen and he works well offensively and seems like a good fit who can really tailor and run a full-tier workup for our game planning as he runs the passing analysis.  

The Hurricanes already got a coach, what are you rambling on about ??

18 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What is Dorsey’s record of mediocrity?

Maybe it’s coincidence but there’s been a lot of talk about the passing game not being as creative or well-designed this season - less pre-snap motion, rubs, crossers, sweeps 

Dorsey was given the title “passing game coordinator” before this season.  So who knows, but of course one possibility is that promotion and the above observation are related, which would not bode well

In Carolina, he had a physical specimen for quarterback who was created in a laboratory basically 

He worked with him for years.. he never really was able to mold Cam Newton into a consistent quarterback with his arm

And I know it's hard to do much with a weak line ... But he hasn't done much to counter act it in the passing game and I don't see alot of variation 

On the flip side Allen has worked with Palmer for years and I've seen a tremendous improvement coming out of every offseason

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I wouldn't call him a QB whisperer. I also wouldn't call having two different players on two different teams come in the top 2 in league MVP voting "a record of mediocrity" either. 

I think Allen would be fine with it without him honestly... Allen is linked with Palmer at the hip 

I think Dorsey is fine... But he hasn't done much to our passing game as head of it .. The concepts haven't changed and in the NFL you need to adapt 

With a better line..  maybe the concepts look a lot better.. but you need to adjust them when you know you don't have the line to work on your intermediate pass game 

There are probably alot of offensive guru's who would like to work with Allen .. daboll and Dorsey are working with the future of the QB position

Edited by Buffalo716

23 hours ago, whorlnut said:

Is it?  Or is it your opinion that it’s “insane”. Quit making your opinion a fact. This is a message board…we don’t all share the same viewpoints. 

This is closer to Bob in section 204 Row 32 should be the next OC.  Dorsey has ZERO track record nor public evidence of being capable to be an NFL coordinator.  This is baseless. 

9 hours ago, Thriftygamer83 said:

Stint at IMG he helped train some to make them serviceable.

LOL where do you get this stuff?  First you claim "he made Christian Ponder servicable for the Vikings"

Then it's pointed out Dorsey never coached for the Vikings, now somehow a brief 2011 off-season stint at IMG supposedly made Ponder "serviceable"  - so servicable he completed 54% of his passes and threw as many picks as TDs in 2011.

Methinks this came from the same place that your misinformation about McDermott growing up in the USC area therefore would be wanting that job.  Gamer83 gaming us.

34 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I think Allen would be fine with it without him honestly... Allen is linked with Palmer at the hip 

I think Dorsey is fine... But he hasn't done much to our passing game as head of it .. The concepts haven't changed and in the NFL you need to adapt 

With a better line..  maybe the concepts look a lot better.. but you need to adjust them when you know you don't have the line to work on your intermediate pass game 

There are probably alot of offensive guru's who would like to work with Allen .. daboll and Dorsey are working with the future of the QB position

This, for sure.

This post is trash.

Everyone else: ....

This guy: Daboll should be replaced by Ken Dorsey

This guy: A bunch of unprovable ball wash assumptions

Everyone else: Do you have any evidence that he would be a good OC?

This guy: Stop attacking me for having an opinion!

If you propose a significant change to the team, you should be able to at least drop subjective data that you can manipulate to fit your narrative. Many on this board have proven that to be quite easy.

As far as QB stats 2020 vs 2021, from what I saw Sal post, its almost even. As for the assertion that it could/should be impacted by plays that didn't have the expected result (don't recall who posted that), every team, every year have those. How do you measure whoulda/coulda? You have to look at the results and compare.

Ok, back to the terrible slow start to this show called 'Invasion'...sigh.

Wonder why Daboll doesn't have players in motion like he did last season? From what I remember it was effective and confused defenses at times. There hasn't been motion often this season. Also would like to see the jet sweep that had some success last year mixed in here and there. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.